Do you replace the crush washers when replacing transmission fluid?

Nothing wrong with a new crusher warsher. Get a 10 pack or whatever from Amazon.
If the old one looks funky in any way, replace it. Otherwise you should be OK. I've never had a leak from Honda trans plug or oil drain plug.
But again, new ain't a bad way to go. Heck, I'll even send you one in the mail!

Crush washers have always been a pain in the butt for me to get off of drain bolts. I just put them back on and I don't remember the last time one dripped/leaked.

I did the Diffs, Transfer case and a complete ATF exchange on my Tundra.
If I recall there were a total of 8 washers involved. Went to Toyota for OEM and
spent $31.00 on just washers that probably would have been fine.
The Amazon kit looks like the way to go.

Those little tackle boxes (Plano/Flambeau) from Walmart are perfect for putting together assortments of seal washers, and other hardware. Easy to do if you just need stuff for a limited number of personal vehicles.

I have enough JIS nuts and bolts (even numbered metric) for Lexus/Toyota that I need to corral.

Yes, I replace the drain side, usually re-use the fill ones like on the top of an AT. They do get crushed/flattened, but they are probably fine to reuse once or twice you dont have one or need to save the cost.

I did the Diffs, Transfer case and a complete ATF exchange on my Tundra.
If I recall there were a total of 8 washers involved. Went to Toyota for OEM and
spent $31.00 on just washers that probably would have been fine.
The Amazon kit looks like the way to go.
Amazon kit to have on hand.

Once you know the size you commonly use, you can get 10 or twenty for just a few bucks on Amazon.

I’ve got a bunch for Volvo and Mercedes drain plugs, for example.

TBH I forgot to buy the Al crush washers, so I’ve done a drain and fill a few times on each of our Honda and just flip it over each time. It torques to around 40 ft-lb iirc.

This is the ultimate no brainer. Always replace the crush washer when you do an engine oil or atf change.

You have just spent time and money on new fluid/oil so why would you risk a leak?

If you reuse the old crush washer and apply the same torque to the old washer as the new crush washer you may risk over or under tightening the sump plug. Remember it is a crush washer and is designed to prevent leaks when the correct torque is applied.

Honda parts are never as cheap as they should be. The issue is not price, it is getting them. Thanks for your reply.
Maybe newer vehicles are different but for our 2005 CRV the crush washers for Oil Pan, Manual Trans, and rear differential are about 50 cents each at the dealer and they have big bins of them right at the counter.

Changed the ATF in our Honda several times and never replaced the Aluminum crush washer, and no leaks. Same as the oil drain plug.

Back