Do you replace the crush washers when replacing transmission fluid?

I am getting ready to replace the MT fluid in a 2007 Civic 1.8L. Was wondering if the crush washers have to be replaced for the fill and drain bolts or can they be reused? If you have experience with this procedure on any Civic ... do you ... or am I off to the Honda dealer?

Thank you!

Is it the kind that actually crushes - usually out of something like copper, or maybe a metal core with gasket on the outside. Then yes, I always replace.

If its just a flat washer out of something like aluminum, then no - unless its visibly damaged.

Reactions: hrv
I always replace crush washers. They cost, what, ten cents?

So, to save ten cents, you’re willing to risk a leak of all that new fluid? And the work to replace everything?

That isn’t worth it.

Honda parts are never as cheap as they should be. The issue is not price, it is getting them. Thanks for your reply.

Honda parts are never as cheap as they should be. The issue is not price, it is getting them. Thanks for your reply.
you can go to your local Autozone or Advance Auto and get them. I just changed the CVT fluid in my 21 HTV and they had both sizes needed for the drain plug and the side check/overflow plug...NAPA probably has them too...can also order them online and get a few rxtra and also oil pan crush washers for future use...

I have used the same one on my Corolla for the last 4 drain and fills. I have a new one that I'll use on the next one. I reuse them a few times and never any problems or leaks, To each his own...

I have used the same one on my Corolla for the last 4 drain and fills. I have a new one that I'll use on the next one. I reuse them a few times and never any problems or leaks, To each his own...
I have too on oil pan crush washers in the past when I did not have a new one and never had a leak...

I get my aluminum crush washers on ebay. No leaks. They don't crush like copper but they do crush a little.

What do you hope to get out of this change, 50k miles? Imagine your undercar being dirty and oily over a 25 cent part for that period of time.

Reactions: hrv
The aluminum seal washers that Honda uses can be reused....up to a point.

I got the Legend when it had 274k miles. The first thing I did was drain and refill all the fluids. The 14mm seal washer for the transmission drain plug was most likely never replaced, just reused. The washer was so deformed that it had flowed around the flange of the plug. I wish I had a photo of it.

I get aluminum seal washers here:

Are they actual crush washers? Copper? Aluminum?

I buy kits on Amazon. It’s like $10 for nearly 100 washers, in a kit like this. I think the 400+ Al washer kit was more like $20.

IMG_2041.jpeg

You’ll notice, perhaps, the bins of Oetiker clamps behind them in the photo. When I start a job, I like to have everything I need to finish it.

Which includes hardware. I keep spare fasteners as well. Just in case.

On a 25 year old car I would ...... if you never replaced it. But not necessary every time you do an fluid change . I never change them when changing oil because they didnt come with one .

Back