Do you own a Ford Focus RS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I've read it's really common for the Focus RS to blow the head gasket.

Especially when it's really a 2.3 EB Mustang head gasket! There are subtle differences in cooling passages from the 2.3 in the Focus vs. the 2.3 in the Mustang. This means when the head gasket is used on the wrong engine there are ports blocked that cause boiling that blows the gasket.

It's a classic case of poor quality control at the point of manufacture...

This. It's because one engine is transversely mounted and the other is longitudinally mounted. The coolant outlets are on opposite sides of the head so therefore the coolant flow needs to be routed differently from the block to ensure proper even cooling. Using the FWD or RWD gasket in the wrong app will overcool one end of the head and overheat the other end.

Originally Posted By: dareo
The only logical thing to do is swap in an LS V8

There is a good bit of truth in this. While I love my turbocharged vehicles, I've come to the conclusion that the LS series has no real competition. It really is difficult to make a better engine.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No, but it was still forced induction (supercharged).

Ford is also not a relative newbie at Turbo's. The RS200 Cosworth is worth looking into if you are unfamiliar with some of Ford's turbo heritage. There were also various turbo Mustangs and Thunderbirds over the years; in fact the turbo 2.3L had quite the reputation for holding up.

Ford had a twin turbo destroked cammer Windsor that they ran in Indy back in the 60's as well.

A 2.3 Lima will hold up to 400+HP on stock internal parts! Heck-Joe Morgan ran one in his Pinto...he ran 10's on what was basically a stock Turbo Coupe engine with cranked boost and nitrous. (I think he even used a stock head gasket.) Only internal change was rods, only because he didn't like the stock press-fit pins. (He readily admitted the stock rods were otherwise fine.)

Originally Posted By: eddy21
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I've read it's really common for the Focus RS to blow the head gasket.

Especially when it's really a 2.3 EB Mustang head gasket! There are subtle differences in cooling passages from the 2.3 in the Focus vs. the 2.3 in the Mustang. This means when the head gasket is used on the wrong engine there are ports blocked that cause boiling that blows the gasket.

It's a classic case of poor quality control at the point of manufacture...

That's what there saying, They installed the Mustang 2.3 gasket by mistake ?

Yes. It happens to every manufacturer. A few bad engines were assembled. Some will be driven harder than others and will fail. Then the internet gets blown up and it looks like a HUGE problem.

Its ALLOT more than "a Few Bad Engines" Here in SoCal, every RS owner I have talked to is losing coolant and or having rough idle and symptoms of the head gasket issue. Most likely EVERY car produced in 2016 was affected. Just some get the bad news earlier than others due to driving habits and or climate.

I agree Open Deck Design for a boosted car? Your asking for it. Especially when you crank the boost up. FORD is too smart for that, what were they thinking? They know better than we do, I am sure it was a cost saving thing.

But with all the Issues in the RS, how much money are they really saving? Are the Mustangs with the 2.3 having this issue? or is it just a minor change to the RS (other than just the gasket itself). I believe there are slight differences in the head and block in the RS vs the Mustang, but still. Mustang having any Issues?

Jeff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back