Just bought a 2012 Volvo XC60

Two of the cars have the IPD cat back and stainless steel exhaust. They have a unique growl. When you’re winding through the gears, or heel and toe downshifting, a manual transmission with that growl, in the mountains, they can also be a lot of fun.

Yes. I have the full IPD package on our '06 R. I don't track it anymore (too old now), but it was a fun drive at Watkins Glen for a few years.

Those sorts of Volvos you sometimes need to be more careful about the fluids. But not so much on the OP's.

I don't think it's quite so dire with that 2012. That 3.2 is a normally aspirated, regular fuel, lower output engine, with a 7 quart sump. As I mentioned above, that one just doesn't work too hard. Ford had dumbed them down a little from the older ones by then (no offense intended to the OP).

While Volvo used to be notoriously lazy about fluid specs., the A1/B1 requirement that they recommend for that one seems fine. Any major brand synthetic, whether III or IV, should be fine. And all the major brands in that tier have reasonable add packs for that sort of service. M1, Castrol, SOPUS, take your pick. They'll all be fine in that one. Just avoid the dealer's bulk tank ... and now that Volvo is on to them, they don't pump the mystery bulk juices much anymore anyway.

If there is any concern, just drop the interval down to 5,000, which is what most turbo owners were doing anyway.

I doubt the guy is going to be tracking this one.
With a sump that large, I was hoping to get more along the lines of 8K. Am I mistaken in that the larger sump means more oil to be cycled? I've never had a car that took more than 4.5qts at an OCI.

With a sump that large, I was hoping to get more along the lines of 8K. Am I mistaken in that the larger sump means more oil to be cycled? I've never had a car that took more than 4.5qts at an OCI.

Volvo recommends 7,500 on yours.

While over 7 qts. is more than the older Volvos used to use, it's still not in the league of the Big German swimming pool sized sumps.

So I'd keep it at 7,500 max no matter what you use.

I'm not sure who Volvo used for OE filters on that one. On the later cartridge white blocks it was Mehle, and on early whites and reds it was Mann. So you don't need to buy the genuine filter for 3x the price once you determine who that is. Honestly, either of those two brands should probably be fine on it. Both are first-tier European filter makers.

Use an oil that meets MB 229.5, or ACEA A3/B4, and that factory interval of 7,500 will be a piece of cake for your car.

But specification is what matters.

Use an oil that meets MB 229.5, or ACEA A3/B4, and that factory interval of 7,500 will be a piece of cake for your car.

But specification is what matters.
Straight from the manual
1708794159715.jpg

Back