Do you own a Ford Focus RS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Devil's Advocate here....

If it were not tuned why would he not be blasting that fact from the top of the video. After all, the video was designed to incite FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) and probably "embarass" Ford into fixing/recalling them. Also it's good for dramatic effect. Seems if it was bone stock then they would be blasting that fact and I don't believe there is an out for warranty for track use on them. At least I'm not aware of any for the Mustang.

Just because there's no intake/exhaust doesn't make it a slam dunk it was not tuned. After all an intake is easy to swap back to stock. In the early days of the EB 3.5, guys were getting impressive tunes out of them bone stock. It may still be the case - I've not looked into it much lately.

There may or may not be a defect with the engine. My suspicion is that it is close to its design limits in this application and people are tuning it, blowing it and trying to get someone else to pay.

A buddy of mine tunes cars for a living and is fairly knowledgeable about the RS. He was telling me when I was considering buying one that the stock turbo maxes out around 380hp and since 350 is stock hp, even if the car in question WAs tuned its not like it was running crazy boost levels anyway since the OEM turbo is pretty much maxed out from the factory.

Sure there is room for a little more, but not enough to cause major issues like this.

So unless this person, is running E85 and added a bunch of boost or something crazy all on a stock turbo, and stock everything, (which I doubt he could do on all stock parts) this is just a total Fudge Up by FORD.

How Unfortunate. Such a great car.

Jeff

Last edited:
I laugh when people say to just take the tune out and the dealer won't know. One of the parameters you can look up is key cycles since last reflash. If the ignition has only been cycled 3-4 times on a car that has never been tuned but has miles on it kind of gives it all away. Any reflash done under warranty would be in the system.

No thanks. Thought about a Focus RS or ST when the wife was getting a new car. Might as well get something we can both enjoy. After owning a F-150 and all the Ford non recall TSB's I couldn't make myself buy a Ford of any kind. So annoying that a vehicle has a known problem and Ford won't fix it. Just give directions on how it should have been done in the first place. Ended up with a Nissan Juke Nismo. More tame but none of the Ford related anger.

Totally unrelated to the initial topic but we had a customer order an RS and eagerly wait for it. As soon as it got in he refused delivery because of the seats. They were incredibly uncomfortable just like the Mustang Recaros.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Totally unrelated to the initial topic but we had a customer order an RS and eagerly wait for it. As soon as it got in he refused delivery because of the seats. They were incredibly uncomfortable just like the Mustang Recaros.

And when you paid $1,500 to add the Recaros to a Premium GT you also deleted seat heating and ventilation- such a deal...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

And when you paid $1,500 to add the Recaros to a Premium GT you also deleted seat heating and ventilation- such a deal...

My Track Pack does not have them. The only option I really wish I had was the reverse camera. I sat in a GT500 with the Recaros before I bought my car and they weren't comfortable enough for me to want to spend extra on. My Cobra Daytona office chairs are much more comfortable.

Being a Ford Mustang owner, my opinion is that GM and Chrysler have better engine designs overall. The only bad Chrysler engine I can think of was the 2.7L. The LS and the hemi are inherently good designs, except for some early production MDS engines that would break timing chains (Chrysler) and lifters (GM). As much as I like my Ford Modulars, the LS and Hemi are just better IMO.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I've read it's really common for the Focus RS to blow the head gasket.

Especially when it's really a 2.3 EB Mustang head gasket! There are subtle differences in cooling passages from the 2.3 in the Focus vs. the 2.3 in the Mustang. This means when the head gasket is used on the wrong engine there are ports blocked that cause boiling that blows the gasket.

It's a classic case of poor quality control at the point of manufacture...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Especially when it's really a 2.3 EB Mustang head gasket! There are subtle differences in cooling passages from the 2.3 in the Focus vs. the 2.3 in the Mustang. This means when the head gasket is used on the wrong engine there are ports blocked that cause boiling that blows the gasket.

That's what there saying, They installed the Mustang 2.3 gasket by mistake ?

Originally Posted By: eddy21
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

That's what there saying, They installed the Mustang 2.3 gasket by mistake ?

Yes. It happens to every manufacturer. A few bad engines were assembled. Some will be driven harder than others and will fail. Then the internet gets blown up and it looks like a HUGE problem.

Whatever idiot signed off on an open-deck for a boosted engine is the problem. Unless an engine is overheated badly, there is NO EXCUSE for a head gasket failure on a stock engine!

Originally Posted By: itguy08

If it were not tuned why would he not be blasting that fact from the top of the video. After all, the video was designed to incite FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) and probably "embarass" Ford into fixing/recalling them. Also it's good for dramatic effect. Seems if it was bone stock then they would be blasting that fact and I don't believe there is an out for warranty for track use on them. At least I'm not aware of any for the Mustang.

Just because there's no intake/exhaust doesn't make it a slam dunk it was not tuned. After all an intake is easy to swap back to stock. In the early days of the EB 3.5, guys were getting impressive tunes out of them bone stock. It may still be the case - I've not looked into it much lately.

There may or may not be a defect with the engine. My suspicion is that it is close to its design limits in this application and people are tuning it, blowing it and trying to get someone else to pay.

Even if tuned it shows the motor is weak. Some engines like Toyota Supra turbo and Subaru STI can be tuned for way more power without ill effects. Apparently Ford Focus RS is a delicate flower at edge especially with open deck motor design that belongs in the economy car.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Even if tuned it shows the motor is weak. Some engines like Toyota Supra turbo and Subaru STI can be tuned for way more power without ill effects. Apparently Ford Focus RS is a delicate flower at edge especially with open deck motor design that belongs in the economy car.

Which is odd, because the 4.6L in the '03/04 Cobra was built like a tank and could take well over 1,000HP stock
21.gif

I'm a big fan of the Ford 4.6, even the 2V. It's a dependable engine. They had some problem years but overall pretty decent. My opinion about Ford has changed since I've owned a few 4.6 Mustangs in recent years.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Which is odd, because the 4.6L in the '03/04 Cobra was built like a tank and could take well over 1,000HP stock
21.gif

Which was 10 years ago+ and a non turbo application which Ford is a relative newbie at but gaining experience at.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif

Which was 10 years ago+ and a non turbo application which Ford is a relative newbie at but gaining experience at.

No, but it was still forced induction (supercharged).

Ford is also not a relative newbie at Turbo's. The RS200 Cosworth is worth looking into if you are unfamiliar with some of Ford's turbo heritage. There were also various turbo Mustangs and Thunderbirds over the years; in fact the turbo 2.3L had quite the reputation for holding up.

Ford had a twin turbo destroked cammer Windsor that they ran in Indy back in the 60's as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back