Do you guys use a torque wrench for oil drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Every oil change. 33 ft. lbs. Use a new gasket too.Same for any fastener/plug that has a torque value. I use a Sharpie to enter often used torque values on a door of my storage cabinet. Lots of entries for a vehicle I have owned for fourteen years.

I love all those in here that say "they've never had a problem," as if that makes it correct. All it takes is once. I don't get having the tools and not using them.

Bet if someone else touched your car without a torque wrench there would be outrage. Outrage!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I love all those in here that say "they've never had a problem," as if that makes it correct. All it takes is once. I don't get having the tools and not using them.

Bet if someone else touched your car without a torque wrench there would be outrage. Outrage!

True, but if I'm paying someone, I have higher expectations.

But I have stood back and not fretted about the mechanic not using a torque wrench. I know a number of bolts are in the "don't care". And ironically... most mechanics have half a clue, and probably have calibrated forearms. So I don't worry about that either.

One of my best friends (may he rest in peace as he passed away 5 years ago), who was one of the best diesel mechanics I've ever known, used to always say he had a calibrated forearm when it came to tightening things....I told him back then and I'll still say it today...that is pure nonsense. A drain plug may not be under lots of stress, but it is the one thing keeping the oil from coming out of the pan, so it just makes me feel better to know that if a new gasket is used with a properly working and calibrated torque wrench, the chance of it coming out is alot less likely.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Yes. Every oil change. 33 ft. lbs. Use a new gasket too.Same for any fastener/plug that has a torque value. I use a Sharpie to enter often used torque values on a door of my storage cabinet. Lots of entries for a vehicle I have owned for fourteen years.

I keep notes on things like that in the notes section of my iphone. Also have all my friends VINs, Ford ones at least, for when they need a part.

Torque wrench for critical parts and fasteners, head bolts, manifold bolts, suspension, etc...

Simple applied torque for other not so critical fasteners including the oil pan plug, spark plugs, battery terminals, etc...

Every step to the tool box eats into your time which eats into your pocket book.

My preference is a nylon drain plug washer so I never have to make the drain plug super tight. I've replaced the metal ones with nylon since I had my first car with metal washers, a 1989 Accord. The plastic washers last for years and I haven't had one leak yet while I've seen plenty of metal and fiber washers drip.

Never. I hand tighten until I can't tighten anymore with my fingers and then use a wrench to "snug" it up just a bit when it stops. Like 5% extra once it stops, maybe even less.

I don't understand why shops way over tighten them. Are they afraid the plug is going to back out, carelessness or trying to prevent the customer from doing their own oil changes?

I always do. The MIL's Escape oil plug was installed by a quicklube place at something like 50 ft lbs when the spec is 23 IIRC. Not to mention that I have a bad habit of breaking every bolt I touch. I had to force myself to just use a TQ wrench on everything now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back