Do you guys use a torque wrench for oil drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Yes I do. Like someone else wrote, it's in the toolbox so why not.

+1

Main reason i dont use on plugs or bolt is i only do have ft lbs tq wrench lol

In over 45 years of DIY-ing on cars I’ve never used a torque wrench on a drain bolt, spark plugs or anything else. Nothing ever got stripped. Nothing ever came loose.

You get a good feel for the proper “snugness” in a short amount of time if you pay attention to what you’re doing.

Not only do I not use a torque wrench I (GASP) don't use new washers either, and none of my cars leak a drop.

No, I clean the threads and re-use the existing gasket/washer, sometimes for up to 75,000 miles. A dab of Ultra-Black RTV on the threads and they always stay in w/o leaking. Just snug down lightly. No need for he-man tightening ...

This applies to cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, tractors, etc.

For engine oil, I use a quarter-turn valve so I never loosen or tighten the ‘plug.’ ;-)
For the tranny, transfer case, and rear end, I use my beam-type torque wrench.

Torque wrench. If you have it, why not use it.

Aluminum pan, magnetic drain plug. I don't feel like snapping the plug, which is known to happen with monkey torque.

I always use a torque wrench on drain plugs, and always change the washer/gasket when called for. I only own Snap On torque wrenches and send them out for calibration more often than necessary. Before 5 years ago, I never torqued the plug when doing an oil change but it became a habit...I like doing things right and with precision, even for a simple oil change.

I use my snappy tech angle torque wrench. Use it on drain plugs,spark plugs and pretty much everything. Plugs get new washers also. Is it overkill, yeah most likely. But these are not my cars I’m working on, people pay and expect it to be done the “book” way so that’s how I do it.

Originally Posted By: Thax
I use my snappy tech angle torque wrench. Use it on drain plugs,spark plugs and pretty much everything. Plugs get new washers also. Is it overkill, yeah most likely. But these are not my cars I’m working on, people pay and expect it to be done the “book” way so that’s how I do it.

I too have a Tech Angle torque wrench from the Snap-On truck. Wife nearly left me when she found out what I paid for it.

Absolute life saver on torque to yield head bolts when working on the engine in the car (as opposed to an engine stand). So yes, I will use it every chance I get. Tech tip... don’t leave the batteries in it. Store them out of the tool. If they leak, that would ruin your day.

I use a torque wrench for almost everything I work on if there's a service manual torque spec.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Originally Posted By: Thax

I too have a Tech Angle torque wrench from the Snap-On truck. Wife nearly left me when she found out what I paid for it.

Absolute life saver on torque to yield head bolts when working on the engine in the car (as opposed to an engine stand). So yes, I will use it every chance I get. Tech tip... don’t leave the batteries in it. Store them out of the tool. If they leak, that would ruin your day.

I switched the batteries to lithium to avoid that issue.

Originally Posted By: Jaha24k
Or is "snug" just enough? Thinking of picking up a cheap one at harbor freight to use for spark plugs, tire rotations, etc.

Unquestionably yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back