Do you guys use a torque wrench for oil drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jaha24k
Or is "snug" just enough? Thinking of picking up a cheap one at harbor freight to use for spark plugs, tire rotations, etc.

Over 4 decades diy OC, just snugged. That includes all makes and types of oil pans, never stripped. Much more often than not, reuse crush washer too.

That said, IMO&IME the HF torque wrench is a good investment, especially so with a coupon making them ~$10-12. And if you choose to use it for torqueing drain plug in addition to other applications, have at it.

For a noob I would say use a torque wrench on everything. I don't. Almost 50 years turning wrenches I've got a built-in torque wrench in my arm (I've checked). I use torque wrenches on head bolts, crank bolts and, recently, wheel nuts. Most people overtighten oil filters.

The first 25 drain plugs I used a torque wrench but, now I use my calibrated box wrench hand. I always use a torque wrench for spark plugs. Ed

As I mentioned I don't use a torque wrench for an oil drain plug, I do use one for the oil filter housing cap on my Wrangler. I also use it for differential gaskets, spark plugs on occasion, transmission pan gaskets, and a slew of other things. With the problems some people had reported with leaks coming from the oil cooler/filter housing I've read about with the 3.6L Pentastar powered Wranglers, I decided not to tempt fate. I can't help but think people go way overboard tightening that cap down, causing problems. That housing should have been made out of aluminum instead of the black plastic looking composite they use, but that's a whole different story. So far so good, my fingers are crossed.

Never used one on oil drain bolt. Never had one leak or fall out.

I do have Fumoto on my car and truck, but still have a bolt on my motorcycle and also do changes on family members vehicles with drain bolt.
Don't replace the washer either. I just flip it every few changes.

Depends on my mood and on the car, but usually not. While it is a critical bolt, of course, it's not really a bolt that takes much stress.

I've never used one on the drain plug. Like other folks, in this thread I just go snug. My plugs don't leak, and I don't need a 2ft breaker to get it out at the next oil change.

I have several torque wrenches and use them, but mostly for critical fasteners. That includes lug nuts, head bolts/nuts, and most anything internal on the engine.

I have never torqued a drain bolt in my life. But after only 58 years of experience I just never found it necessary. Not lost drain plugs and no hernias trying to remove one. I guess you can get by a lot of years with a little common sense.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
I've never used one on the drain plug. Like other folks, in this thread I just go snug. My plugs don't leak, and I don't need a 2ft breaker to get it out at the next oil change.

I have several torque wrenches and use them, but mostly for critical fasteners. That includes lug nuts, head bolts/nuts, and most anything internal on the engine.

Same here. I have over the decades occasionally used a torque wrench to check if I was getting the drain plug tight enough or too tight and sure enough my "hand method" was pretty much spot on.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I use a liquid vac instead
smile.gif

Exactly.
I haven't removed a drain plug on a car in years.

I do spark and drain plugs by hand, and have yet to create a problem by doing so. Lugnuts, always a torque wrench. I have a CDI (non-name brand Snap-on) 30-250 lb. 1/2" drive click-style.

I use a box wrench, and give it a firm bump with the palm of my hand. Has never failed me, and I have been doing it that way since the early 70's.

Not on any drain plug but I will on oil pans and ATF pans. You don't need to ask me why on the pans. You know
grin.gif
why...

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
smile.gif

Exactly.

You might not be able to at this point! Or do you crack them once in a while?
The drain plug on my old CRV trans was quite stuck after 7 or 8 years after a honda tech it ++snugged it, and needed a bit of impact wrench time to get loose.
I don't use a torque wrench for drain or spark plugs, never had a problem except when I followed the "directions" on spark plug change which felt too loose to me and it was...

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
smile.gif

Exactly.

Not even once in a while to flush out the bottom of the pan? Once every 3-5 OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back