Do you fill your filter before installing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only change the oil hot so is probably makes no difference in my case. Glad I pour off the top into the filter.

Depends on the application, and the situation.

Typically I don't pre fill the filter.
Sometimes, I pre fill oversized filters. I ALWAYS pre fill the filter on a "dry engine" (New, Reman, New Oil pump, or if I had the pan off)
I've stopped pre filling the oversized filter on my Camry.
Instead I just bring the idle up for a sec or 2, till the oil light goes out. Then I'm good.

I prefill. My filter mounts threads-up, so I see no reason not to prefill.

I add oil to the filter from an unopened quart (PP 5w30), cover w/ saran wrap and do the change the next day. The media soaks up about half of the oil by that time. Then I add to bring the filter to about 3/4 full.

The one time I didnt prefill I had the check engine light come on for about 1 second upon start up after an OC. Since then, I always prefill and have never seen the CEL upon start.

Does it really matter - probably not, but I do it anyway. Takes no real time to do and it keeps my CEL off. Thats reason enough for me to do it.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
I've done it for years. Even on engines with horizontal filters.
It takes a technique, and practice but it's do-able.

that's impressive!

Got a horizontal filer. I've never seriously considered pre-filling; it seems too much trouble and potential mess. What I do is disconnect the ignition coil output and crank the car for a total of ~10 seconds. (I know the raw gas isn't doing the rings any favors, but I make a point to drive the car a distance immediately afterward.) With a warm engine, this is enough to pressurize the system.

ive never done this, however i think i might start next time i change my oil. my filter is upright, and extremely easy to get to.
i recently started using WIX filters and on the side of each filter (51040) theres an illustration showing you how to do this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Never been a fan of putting potential contaminants on the downstream side of a filter.

what about the 4-5 quarts of potential contaminants you pour directly in your crankcase?

The contaminants, if any, have to go through the filter before hitting the internals. The speculation on the wisdom of pre-filling is challenged by a (iirc) Detroit Diesel TSB that warned against it. The problem was with bulk oil contamination and handling in the process.

On our scale of use, I can't see it being an issue.

I think anyone should be able to either "bump" or floor the pedal (BEFORE TURNING THE IGNITION ON) and have the filter fill with no load. Flooring it BEFORE THE IGNITION IS TURNED and ENGINE CRANKING should result in no fuel. This should be the flooded clearing process. Test it before hand by trying to start your engine with the pedal floored BEFORE TURNING THE IGNITION ON AND CRANKING.

There's a reason for the caps.

I fill mine with about half a quart. It mounts nearly vertical so it makes sense to me, so I have less of a dry start. Can't do it on my gf's Honda Accord, its filter is horizontal. I have never had any problems with either method though.

what is the difference in putting the contaminants in the filter, or dumping them in the top of the motor and letting them spread on their way down to the pan?

I have always prefilled my filters(horizontal), then I hold the pedal to the floor and crank the engine a couple times for 5 seconds each time. holding the pedal to the floor turns the fuel injectors off on my 05 Neon SRT4

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The problem was with bulk oil contamination and handling in the process.

Exactly! I've seen dirt covered oil dispensors hanging in a shop. No way I'd pre oil a filter with that thing.

But since 99% of us pour our oil from a plastic container that we shook for 2 minutes then wiped the dust off with a lint free rag getting contaminants in the clean side of the filter isn't going to happen.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The problem was with bulk oil contamination and handling in the process.

Exactly! I've seen dirt covered oil dispensors hanging in a shop. No way I'd pre oil a filter with that thing.

But since 99% of us pour our oil from a plastic container that we shook for 2 minutes then wiped the dust off with a lint free rag getting contaminants in the clean side of the filter isn't going to happen.

Don't know about other oils, but Pennzoil YB has fine solids in the bottom. I no longer prefill.

Quote:
what is the difference in putting the contaminants in the filter, or dumping them in the top of the motor and letting them spread on their way down to the pan?

When you pour it from up top, it's destination is the pan ..where, at worst, it will maybe nick a few things off of your oil pump gears before it's filtered. Adding contaminants (if present ) to the interior of the filter will allow them to play havoc on all of your vital surfaces before they ever see filtration.

This has not proven to be an issue of merit on our level, but that's the reason that there are specific recommendations against it in some cases.

I don't do it out of laziness and the complicated angles that I have to go navigate putting on my horizontal filters. They already make too much of a mess.

I fill mine. Always have. I don't believe there is dirty abrasive junk in my new quarts or jugs.
I think it's optional to pre-fill but I do it.

I'm also a pre-filler. I don't have a gauge...only a light. When I don't prefill the light stays solidly lit for 3sec on 1st start-up. When I do prefill it lights up for 1sec or less.
21.gif

Nope, not even on my diesel. The filter on my Tacoma is mounted sideways on the block and filling it would just make a huge mess and waste clean oil. Some oil filters are mounted upright like on newer Subarus and 4.0 Toyota Tacomas which would make it impossible to do anyway without making a huge mess. If filling the oil filter was really necessary, these vehicles wouldn't have filters placed upright like that now would they? When an engine is started, oil circulates the whole thing in a matter of seconds. It takes less than 5 seconds for new oil to reach and fill the new filter once you fire it up. No harder on an engine than a cold start in the morning before work when all the oil is sitting in the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back