Do you draft semis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Was almost out of gas and out of money returning to base from leave riding my motorcycle, latched on to a rig and got over 70MPG which got me out of trouble with my uncle Sam. The driver knew I was there and kept me out of trouble, but I don't recommend it for fun.

Smoky

Did the same, drafted a rig for several miles on a long stretch in the New Mexico flatland.
It was like he was towing me, and so quiet in the vacuum of the draft. My throttle was almost on idle!
Driver must of thought I was a crazy biker, he was moving at 90+ but I stayed with him.
A very dangerous thing to do, but I was young and bullet proof.
Now I am old and bullet proof!

I drive the speed limit or around 5 over. That makes me a slowpoke on the interstate and semi's blow past me. No chance to tailgate.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: onemig
I don't to avoid rock chips.

^^^ this also.
Mazda5 paint is really brittle.

yup you both posted exactly why I don't draft semi trucks. Plus that old saying on their trailer "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you". so true. And here in Michigan on roads like I-94 they think they own that place! what mpg's!? I'm too busy trying to stay alive! lol

but rock chips are big here, lots of semi's I've seen don't even have mud flaps, kicking up all sorts of stuff. And I'd like to keep my new windshield chip/crack free
smile.gif

Sounds like a crazy thing to do. I think you have to actually be pretty close to one in order to any fuel savings. If you're further back, the savings is minimal. You basically have to be tailgating and that's never a good idea when you can't see in front of the truck. Plus the rock thing is legit, those big tires and a wider track means they'll pick up rocks that other cars ahead of it won't. Not worth the fuel savings due to the dangers involved. Never really seen people do it.

Not any more. "Back in the day" I'd do it, but to gain any significant benefit you had to get close. Too close.

Stressful to say the least, kind of like always being on point when running a radar detector at 20 over. I prefer to relax on trips now.

I can't stand driving on the highway without being able to see some distance ahead of me, so I would never follow any large vehicle.
They usually don't go fast enough for me, anyway.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Most people who draft stop that nonsense when the semi runs over something like an animal or construction debris and that item is spit out from underneath the trailer, squarely into your windshield (or forehead).

SF

Decades ago, my Father was driving to work early in the morning (still dark) and there was a Semi up ahead. He saw it kick up what appeared to be a piece of cardboard. He was unable to avoid it as it landed right in front of him, and went under his car with a loud bang. He pulled over, but didn't seem to be losing any fluids, and the car was still running fine, so he drove the rest of the way to work.

When he got to work, and parked in the parking garage, he was getting out of the car when he caught sight of something in the rearview mirror. He looked and there right behind the drivers seat, was an approx. 4'x 5"x 3/4" piece of steel that had been rammed up through the bottom of the car. It was a part of the sacrificial leading edge of snowplow blade that had come loose from a State snowplow.

If that piece of Steel had come up through the bottom of the car just 6" farther forward, he would have been impaled and killed instantly.

I will never forget just how close he came to being killed that day, and have always given Semi's a wide berth on the road. I would NEVER draft one. In fact I avoid following ANY vehicle closely.

Nope. I don't stay anywhere near them. I'll punch the gas pedal and get way away from semi-trucks. I live in the desert where our highways are surrounded by gravel and Semi-trucks throw rocks like crazy.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Most people who draft stop that nonsense when the semi runs over something like an animal or construction debris and that item is spit out from underneath the trailer, squarely into your windshield (or forehead).
SF

This reminds me when I lived in the NW suburbs of Chicago and would take some single lane roads that felt pretty isolated through forest preserves to get home.
Was headed home after working late one night, it was raining hard and I think the road was posted as 35mph. I was going about 40 and, of course, some jerk caught up to me and was tailgating me like crazy, to the point of being dangerous in the rain.
I slowed down a bit for a curve and he edged up even closer to me, then as I got around the curve I saw that a poor raccoon was crossing the road. The jerk was so close to me that I couldn't even think about hitting the brakes, so I obliterated the unfortunate animal.
The raccoon shot out from the rear of my car and splatted into the tailgater's grill, and then I could see it sliding back onto his windshield before he locked em up and skidded over to what little shoulder that road had. My memory is that he was driving a low slung sporty thing without much of a grill for the corpse to settle onto.

I felt like I would have had a shot at avoiding the critter without somebody trying to drive into my hatch, but I think that it didn't die in vain given that it splatted all over the front of the ride of a stupid tailgater. I wasn't too far from home so I just finished my drive and checked my car before pulling into the garage, no damage for me and the rain even cleared off whatever blood and guts may have been there from the impact.

Last edited:
Never in a car. The chances of you getting killed in case the semi has to stop and you ride right into his "bumper" beam is too great.

The closest thing I've done was on a bike drafting a 60' New Flyer articulated bus. I could definitely feel the pull but I was also cognizant to watch the brake lights and bail out if need be. And on a bike, spandex ain't body armor.

But what if you can get a significant mpg benefit and still be a safe distance? I'm normally passing the semi. This time I stayed behind him. With that headwind and my loaf of bread (Equinox), I gained 4 mpg. He was close to the speed I was doing anyway.
Let me repeat, I was far enough behind to be safe.

No ... don't like sand blasting my vehicles !! Plus you're driving completely blind.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
But what if you can get a significant mpg benefit and still be a safe distance? I'm normally passing the semi. This time I stayed behind him. With that headwind and my loaf of bread (Equinox), I gained 4 mpg. He was close to the speed I was doing anyway.
Let me repeat, I was far enough behind to be safe.

How far back is safe?

When my Dad was nearly killed, he was quite a ways back from the Semi. He estimated 10 car lengths. He wasn't attempting to draft the Semi at all. The Semi just kicked the piece of steel up into the air, and in it's brief flight, my dad thought it looked like a piece of cardboard flying through the air.

Just know that the unexpected can happen. I personally stay as far away from Semi's as I can.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon

I keep a good distance from vehicles ahead of me not only for safety, but rock chips.

There is a clear and definite difference in the amount of rock chips in the vehicles I drive, compared to the vehicles my wife drives. She constantly tailgates and her vehicle looks like someone sandblasted the front.

I don't tailgate....I pass em!
grin.gif

. Didn’t you start this thread? If anyone has ever witnessed a tire blowing on a semi, they will change their thinking on tailgating or even driving any distance near a semi. I drove them for over 40 years before retiring, and have had blown tires rip the mud flaps and hangers clean off and also take out several cross members under the trailer. I never shadow a truck and have taught my wife and sons to get around and away from trucks ASAP!

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Good point

At only 7K on SUV … already blessed by a gravel hauler … booked for a resin job next week …

Hello 4WD: that guy did a fantastic job with the resin today …
I knew you were very smart driving to the next town over
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back