Do you check your tire pressure as soon as you

Status
Not open for further replies.
get home from the install? got my DTD tires installed at DT today. i had asked them to set my tires at 35# and when i got the car i asked them if it was set for 35. guy said yes.

i got home and checked and of the 4 tries only one was set at 35# . the other were 30# . this is not the first time tires i had installed did not get set to the pressure i like or even factory pressure.

i check pressure regualarly anyways, but for those that don't they should do a better job. i don't know if their gauges are wrong or they are just not paying attention .

Friend's son came to visit with his GF. He had an oil change done before he came down.
...and this was after I offered to him an old change here.

I checked his tire pressure before the drive home and the pressures varied.
"They were supposed to have checked them when they did the oil change", he said.

We looked at his washer fluid reservoir and it was essentially empty.
"They were supposed to fill it", he said.

I wanted to ask if he paid for a synthetic oil upgrade but I bit my lip.

I check my tire pressure often. I crank it up for highway trips and let it back down afterward.

Having to buy and maintain TPMS hardware is something I resent. It was made a necessity by fat people who don't bend over.

Those pigs cost me money.

I usually check them after I let them sit overnight or a few hours.

In their defense, it's probably not easy to set the pressure exactly right, especially in a warm garage. You can pump it up and guess, but it'll likely be different the next morning when it's settled to ambient temps. I remember once at a mom and pop shop, they pumped the air up to 40+ right out the door. I thought it was way too high, but after a few hours, I checked again and it was darn close to where I wanted.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I usually check them after I let them sit overnight or a few hours.

In their defense, it's probably not easy to set the pressure exactly right, especially in a warm garage. You can pump it up and guess, but it'll likely be different the next morning when it's settled to ambient temps. I remember once at a mom and pop shop, they pumped the air up to 40+ right out the door. I thought it was way too high, but after a few hours, I checked again and it was darn close to where I wanted.

Well, to tear down their defense, it's awfully easy to compensate 1 PSI for every 10F difference. So, if the shop is 70F and it's 30F outside, is it that hard to figure out that you need to add 4 PSI to the recommended pressure?

Oh, wait, that would require arithmetic, the ability to add a single digit number to another number... and a rudimentary grasp of the basic principles of high school level science...so...never mind...

I always do, I’ve yet to have them pump up tires correctly.

My dad had a 2500HD Duramax Silverado and we got back from Discount Tire and I checked the tires, 50 psi in one front tire, 55 in another. 60 psi in one rear and 80 in another.

happy2.gif
u know,, there are days when it's best to just leave it alone......................

Last edited:
I checked my wife's new snowies as soon as they were brought home and all were surprisingly good. Not exact, but close.
The one thing I have noticed, which I I'll have to take them back for is, they are out of balance.

My Dad picked these up for me and he said they had 70 sets to assemble that day (tires and rims) so I assume they rushed the balancing part of things.

Costco is constantly over-inflating my tires. The door says 35, they write 32 on the sticker and put 40 in it. It drives awful until I take some out. It’s nitrogen so the temp shouldn’t change it.

Originally Posted By: Kev994
Costco is constantly over-inflating my tires. The door says 35, they write 32 on the sticker and put 40 in it. It drives awful until I take some out. It’s nitrogen so the temp shouldn’t change it.

If it was rubber or concrete the temperature wouldn't change it much. Most tyres are filled with gases though, like nitrogen.

When someone else works on my car I always check their word when ever possible. That's how I knew Walmart lost my oil drain plug and replaced it with made in China bovine scat!

today was also the first time they gave me back the old tpms stuff. never had that happen before. looking at it, it seems like they just changed the nut and washer and did not replace the rubber gasket as should be done on all the vids i have watched . the rubber looks unused

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kev994

Nitrogen, Air, Carbon Dioxide ... they all obey the ideal gas law: Ideal Gas Law

Last edited:
I don't ask for a particular pressure - figure I'm wasting my breath. I'll check them within a day or so of install.

I'm just happy if they're balanced right.

Last edited:
I had a major DTD/DT snafu with my winter tires..

just a tiny part of the snafu

got home and they had 26psi in them (hot from 30mile drive)

door sticker says 36psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back