Is it a bad idea using alloy wheels as the winter set?

The salt (or something?) they use around here etches the alloy wheels. Some brands much more so than others (I'm looking at you Ford!). Maybe it depends on whatever clearcoating is applied on the wheels.

So I go with steel wheels in the winter. Plastic hubcaps from Autozone add some bling if need be.

sometimes new CAST alloys as most are can have pinholes as my aftermarket 64 vette knockoffs had. after removing tire + cleaning the inside coating them with shellac cured my slow leak!! smaller narrower setups that have the same OD are better for snow, more weight per sq inch as well as CHEEPER!!

My take - it depends.
Alloys are more $$ up front to start with, but makes very good sense if they get no damage in winter, repairs would be even more $$.
With steel rims I just repaint them every time before new tires go on which is every 5-6 years.
Next time I'm gonna skip winter tires all together and just get all weather ones as our climate and weather allows that. No more extra sets of tires to store and to swap around.

When I purchased my car new ( Corolla hatchback ) I wanted a 2nd set of wheels to mount snow tires on.
I knew this model of car was going to be popular with the younger crowd who would want to make it look like a "race car" and swap out the factory wheels. I think I got pretty lucky finding an exact factory set with the TPMS sensors included for $200 on E-bay.
I also tend to go against the crowd and put Firestone winterforce tires on the 2nd set and they have been great in the snow and ice.
IMG_20190815_085443534.jpg

IMG_20190815_085431182.jpg

When I purchased my car new ( Corolla hatchback ) I wanted a 2nd set of wheels to mount snow tires on.
I knew this model of car was going to be popular with the younger crowd who would want to make it look like a "race car" and swap out the factory wheels. I think I got pretty lucky finding an exact factory set with the TPMS sensors included for $200 on E-bay.
I also tend to go against the crowd and put Firestone winterforce tires on the 2nd set and they have been great in the snow and ice.
View attachment 211805

View attachment 211806
Nice on the rims. I got my daughters matching factory CRV rims for $150 locally from forum, just had to get sensors. About the same for factory alloy 16" for sons Forte (as summer) so his 15" steel and hubcaps became winter. I got all of mine for all cars for less than $300 for full sets. Some became summer, some winter.

Why the winterforce 2, just from experience? How much were they? I had some experience with the original Winterforce but between the balancing issues, noise and less grip as compared to my other vehicles I skipped for next round. Who knows when these 4 sets (currently) need to be replaced. Sale prices and reviews com into play

Tire rack currently has that size as clearance on the Altimax Arctic 12 for $93/tire if yours are wearing out.

Steel wheels are worse than aluminum to try and clean up the beads than aluminum. Recoating the bead seats with epoxy paint would be the best way to keep the tires sealed to the rim, if you want to take the time to make them last. Never use a chrome wheel in the winter!!!

I’ve been using a set for about 3 years on my 2020 Mazda. I have a 07’ Mazda 3 17” OEM alloy set that has worked great. They were $25 each, $100 total I figured for that price I’d try it as a solution.

I haven’t had any issues

It sounds like the question is about having 16” snows on aluminum, and 15” summers on steelies.

I think that normally winters are either skinnier or a -1. The Lexus came with 245/45-18 and the winters are 225/55-17.

The BMW is a staggered 18” setup and the winters are also 18”, but 225’s that are the same as the summer fronts.

If I were the OP just for convenience I’d leave it as is. Why wear out the winters on purpose so they are done and can be replaced with summers? This sounds cosmetic only.

Again I get that it’s reversed where the winters are 16” and summers 15”, but I’d let sleeping dogs lie. My .02 ymmv

I got a set of Audi alloy wheels and 1-season old Blizzaks for my Tiguan from some guy who was selling them off his Audi. Yes they are 1 inch greater in diameter but sure are a lot better than the all-seasons in snow.

My current winter tires are on my original 16 year old alloys. Five years ago I purchased black painted alloy rims and use them for the summer. The entire truck gets covered in road grime from the winter storms so I don’t get too excited about what the winter rims look like. The winters are five years old and are at the end of their useful life as winter tires due to the shallow tread. I’ll probably run them out this summer. It’s a Catch 22. The compound is probably harder now, so they might actually wear well during this summer.

My current winter tires are on my original 16 year old alloys. Five years ago I purchased black painted alloy rims and use them for the summer. The entire truck gets covered in road grime from the winter storms so I don’t get too excited about what the winter rims look like. The winters are five years old and are at the end of their useful life as winter tires due to the shallow tread. I’ll probably run them out this summer. It’s a Catch 22. The compound is probably harder now, so they might actually wear well during this summer.
Here is a picture of one of the rims that has seen winter service for 16 years.

ED36AE9F-4136-43E3-9CB8-EA15BE77BD11.jpeg

Back