Tire over inflation

I always check the tire pressures after any tire shop touches my tires - replacements or original when I entered the shop. Why? Happened to check pressures after a new install several years ago. Found one tire set at 90 lbs. Guess they were testing for rim leaks and forgot to readjust. Anway, now always check immediately on driving away. Could have caused a serious accident.

For newer cars with TPMS can't get any easier once you know where to find them in the computer readout.

As an OCD aside I sometimes leave the monitor screen on. Interesting to see how the pressure change during a journey.

I'm with eljefino - that doesn't make sense.

Perhaps the fuel filler door has a couple of options depending on various conditions - one of which will match the door sticker! Use the door sticker!
Well maybe it's just Mercedes or German cars but the dealers will tell you to use the gas door label. Running 45/48# will cause a terrible ride.

Unless the pressure on the door is for the same brand and tire on the vehicle, I set the pressure to whats on the tire. Never had any issue doing it that way. I also only use a digital pressure gauge. Old style gauges, are as good as guessing how much air is in the tire.,,,

Why would you adjust your tire pressure for a tire that may not be manufactured anymore?. You can run a tire pressure as low as you want depending on how your using the tire. I'm not talking off road or high performance use. But for normal street use, You will never go wrong setting it to what the new tire is rated for...

The tire pressure on the door and/or in the manual, is specified for a particular size, load index, and speed rating, all of which will exist for many tires for many years after the OE tire may or may not be available.

Running your tires at their maximum inflation pressure is rarely going to produce desirable results. On passenger cars, this will often lead to premature center-wear, poor ride quality, faster suspension joint and strut/shock wearout, and less traction, especially in bad weather.

Max pressure makes the steering really light on a bigger vehicle. I guess when your contact patch is tiny it's not hard to steer. The lighter steering also makes it so wind pushes you around a little bit more

The tire pressure on the door and/or in the manual, is specified for a particular size, load index, and speed rating, all of which will exist for many tires for many years after the OE tire may or may not be available.

Running your tires at their maximum inflation pressure is rarely going to produce desirable results. On passenger cars, this will often lead to premature center-wear, poor ride quality, faster suspension joint and strut/shock wearout, and less traction, especially in bad weather.
And max pressure makes a tire more susceptible to severe damage (and instant blowouts)from potholes and other types of impact damage.

but the size does matter!
She told me it didn't. :ROFLMAO:

I've never seen tire information stickers on the gas door. Then again I don't have an BMW/MB/VW/Audi/Volvo.

Last time I had any in the family that I did anything with was in the '80's. My BIL and Nephew have VW's but I have never looked at theirs.

Back