Disposal of used oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it illegal to simply throw filters in the garbage? I always take my oil to the auto parts store for recycling of course, but I never think about recycling the filters--especially the cartridge filters. I put used oil in 5 quart jugs, but filters would be messier to deal with. Still, I maintain 4 vehicles so I go through 4-8 filters per year. I guess I should've asked this question a long time ago. :-/

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Is it illegal to simply throw filters in the garbage? I always take my oil to the auto parts store for recycling of course, but I never think about recycling the filters--especially the cartridge filters. I put used oil in 5 quart jugs, but filters would be messier to deal with. Still, I maintain 4 vehicles so I go through 4-8 filters per year. I guess I should've asked this question a long time ago. :-/

Not a problem at all I just let them drain and then put them in a Ziploc bag and take them to O'Reilly's with my used oil to recycle.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor

It is likely illegal being hazardous waste. It isn't enforced, where I live a steel claw grabs the can and all goes into the truck. People throw everything away. I see people loading recycling bins with bagged trash. I think it comes down to laziness and values. Some people just don't care as long as they can get away with it. My garbage company has an area to bring oil and filters, or they will bring empty jugs on garbage day with an oil filter bag attached for free.

It depends on your state & local regulations. Here, they can be landfilled if they were "hot drained", there's specific definition of what has to be done for an oil filter to qualify as "hot drained" which can't possibly apply to cartridge oil filters. I doubt if many of the oil filters sent to landfill here meet the specifications for "hot drained" but I've never seen anything about enforcement either.

COD posted they were thrown in a drum at his shop and when the drum was full it was dumped in a dumpster when he owned his shop.

Personally I take my used oil & oil filters to O'Reilly since they recycle both.

I take my used ATF to Autozone for recycling and used transmission filters to Firestone CAC for recycling.

This site is a decent place to see options in your area.

www.earth911.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Dont waste a ziplock. Just drain them dry and put them back in the new filter's box.

Yes and risk the box leaking. How do I know this?

i chuck mine in the wood stove to help heat my shed. the used remains get put in the scrap bin till i haul a load to the scrap dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back