Oil filter disposal: what do you do?

the OReilly down here does not accept filters.
There is 1 place called Arnold Oil .
They sell a lot of big truck and diesel stuff. they accept used filters but its a 30 mile drive.
:(

Good Morning BITOGERS. I take my old oil filters to my work and use our OTC brand filter crusher. Safety Kleen pays us whatever by weight for all old oil, trans, etc filters. My stepdad, brother throw them into trash🤬🤬🤬🙈

Any of you folks crush them or do you take them to a recycling facility? Back home my real dad burns them out when clearing brush, trees etc. great fire starters
I take mine to Autozone.

We put them in the trash here in central NY
Not in Onondaga County. Which is pretty central New York. They are supposed to be recycled. My wife drops them at Wegmans.
It's amazing how different each locale is when it comes to recycling, even locales just a few miles apart.
Now I usually toss the filters. They separate metal from the trash and if it doesn't get caught it probably goes into the incinerator with the other trash. They generate a lot of electricity with that thing.

Yell pull throw it high in the air and shotgun makes fine mist of it. :ROFLMAO:
Actually just kidding but drain for a few days then goes into recycle bin.
Metal gets scrapped and burned at steel mill. Residual oil is not a problem for them.

I use an oil filter cutter separate baseplate.remove gasket put in garbage. Remove filter media use large screwdriver too remove it from metal tube. Put in garbage. Clean with cotton rags any residual oil.put those in garbage. Put anything metal,spring, ect in bag.take old oil with it too our recycling center n toss the metal parts in scrap metal dumpster bin.been doing this for over 20 plus years.

My county has a used oil filter (and motor oil) collection site about 5 miles from my home, I drain the oil filters and store them in a bucket until I drop them off, I usually go there twice a year!

Turn it upside down, drain it into the container of oil I just drained out of the vehicle. Put the old filter in the box that the new filter came in. Place that into a Wal-Mart plastic shopping bag. Tie it off, put it in the trash. It will go to the landfill here locally. Around here, that's where it will end up regardless. Any effort more than that accomplishes nothing.

Back