Oil filter disposal: what do you do?

I take mine to the county recycling facility with my oil.

Good Morning BITOGERS. I take my old oil filters to my work and use our OTC brand filter crusher. Safety Kleen pays us whatever by weight for all old oil, trans, etc filters. My stepdad, brother throw them into trash🤬🤬🤬🙈

Any of you folks crush them or do you take them to a recycling facility? Back home my real dad burns them out when clearing brush, trees etc. great fire starters
I take used oil and filters to NAPA, they do have a 4 gallon limit per day for used oil, I have never came close to that much. one time NAPA's oil tank was full, so i went to a Walmart they take oil also, but at Walmart they have you sign in with name and how much oil you are dropping off. Napa just takes it, no sign in. Lots of people just toss oil filters in the regular trash though.

I hot drain mine (drive/remove a screwdriver through the top right after removal) then let them drain into my recycle jug for about a week and throw them out with a clean blue disposable shop towel wadded up and stuffed into the center.

I allow them to drain for a week and throw them out with the trash.
The vehicles at work that have cartridges with plastic center tube we throw in our filter dumpster. Some, like ones off Toyotas and Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW we crush. They don’t spring back to original height either. Then throw em’ in filter dumpster.

Most places I've found do not like to recycle oil filters for some reason. Our local Walmart TLEs do take them, however. I just bring a bunch of them when I go there to recycle my oil.

I cut them up then burn it out. The Fram XG 9688 will be totally consumed except the steel shell, spring, center tube (RIP) and base plate. The Hyundai OE will still have the filter element ash and metal backing to it intact.

Once they are drained/dry as much as you can no real difference tossing it in the trash than an oily/greasy shop rag that nobody recycles....

Our shop tags get picked up every Wednesday and cleaned and sent back to us or other shops.
Yes sure but that's a shop, home DIYer toss em' and this is no different. I recycle mine b/c the county recyling place takes them (filters).

Yes sure but that's a shop, home DIYer toss em' and this is no different. I recycle mine b/c the county recyling place takes them (filters).
I now take the burned out shells to the park that has a recycling center and throw them in the scrap steel dumpster there.

odd man out as usual (well, I C a few others). "Burn'n throw away" seems worse. As there is no 'away' for some secerete trash
heaven or hell. Often it's burrial so comes right back on us. Burn puts that chit into the air we breath. Glad there's more'n more filter recycle places. It means choice, a very nice thing to have, in more'n more places.
Choice seems more like 'freedom'. We had choice on our plasic a good while. Sent it to China. They asked a small (5%) contamination rate. We never met it (garbage was w/it, paper, etc). They stopped takin it & more is in the enviornment now, growin each day. Poor choice led to lack of freedom here. We have the technology, plez use it. Develop the will B4 the freedom is gone.

For the last time Pep Boys refused to take my oil—4 quarts. Decided to post my experience on Yelp.

In NYS, they would have to accept 5 gal per day. Imagine that? In NJ and PA they routinely refuse. I actually hope their behavior will one day catch up with them. You sell oil and change it, you should accept small amounts for recycling. Corp responsibility. Jmoymmv

For the last time Pep Boys refused to take my oil—4 quarts. Decided to post my experience on Yelp.

In NYS, they would have to accept 5 gal per day. Imagine that? In NJ and PA they routinely refuse. I actually hope their behavior will one day catch up with them. You sell oil and change it, you should accept small amounts for recycling. Corp responsibility. Jmoymmv
I agree 100%

I’m lucky I can dump as much waste oil I want into our waste oil tanks

I let it drain for a couple of hours , then I fill it with Oil-Dri and throw it in the trash .

Back