K&N not giving out their oil filter specs

Cool-where did that information come from? Got anything on the black K&N Selects??
I would have to dig through the oil filter section to find a reference on the white K&N HP-series that has them at 95% at 20 microns, so take that with a grain of salt.

I did pull the attached image from K&N in regards to the white K&N HP-series just now putting them at 98% at 30 microns. This is on the HP-2010 (Fram PH2 interchange) and HP-2009 (Fram PH3600 interchange) for my vehicles)

The black K&N Selects list 99% at 30 microns on the product boxes and Walmart.com product description

IMPACT_3HP_63.jpg

The Supertech also seems to have the same media, but no micron rating available.
SuperTech rated at 99% @> 30u. And it's the same efficiency rating for both the white and blue SuperTech oil fllters.

Zoom in on box text ... shows >30u at the bottom of the box.

1707429284601.jpeg

Last edited:
30 microns is just over 1/1000 of an inch, .001182 inches to be precise. I wouldn’t want that running around in my oil!
I wouldn’t give out proprietary information if sales were good. The truth could hurt the bottom line!!
90cummins

30 microns is just over 1/1000 of an inch, .001182 inches to be precise. I wouldn’t want that running around in my oil!
I wouldn’t give out proprietary information if sales were good. The truth could hurt the bottom line!!
90cummins

30 microns in today's engines being built with very small bearing clearances is pretty large. Large enough to cause more wear when those particles get to the bearing surfaces.

99% @ 30u removes almost all 30u and larger particles, but lets through more 20u and smaller particles than a more efficient filter. Wear studies say that it's the particles below 20u that do the most wear because they can get passed through the MOFT easier and can then get caught between the bearing and journal. A particle larger than the high pressure MOFT wedge can be diverted around the wedge and get spit out through the side leakage flow of the bearing without doing any damage.

The MOFT in a bearing gets smaller when the oil viscosity is less and also when the RPM is lower. Running an engine on too thin of oil and lugging/loading the engine resulting in higher rod load (mostly a turbo doing boost) at low RPM will result in a smaller MOFT.

Last edited:
99% @ 30u removes almost all 30u and larger particles, but lets through more 20u and smaller particles than a more efficient filter. Wear studies say that it's the particles below 20u that do the most wear because they can get passed through the MOFT easier and can then get caught between the bearing and journal. A particle larger than the high pressure MOFT wedge can be diverted around the wedge and get spit out through the side leakage flow of the bearing without doing any damage.

The MOFT in a bearing gets smaller when the oil viscosity is less and also when the RPM is lower. Running an engine on too thin of oil and lugging/loading the engine resulting in higher rod load (mostly a turbo doing boost) at low RPM will result in a smaller MOFT.

I learned something new today. Thanks!

Back