Disc brake pad slap in the rust belt - can't be done

Thats why professional shops dont do pad slaps. And yeah, there is a difference between doing a pad slap and doing a brake job that doesnt involve replacing rotors. Its rare that we see a car that needs pads with rotors that are in good enough condition that they do not need to be replaced. In the event that we do not replace rotors we still completely disassemble, clean and lube everything and clean the hubs
You want that car to "go out" and "stay out"
Sometimes on your own car you can cut corners a little more because it will only be on you.
But in a professional environment you want that car to "go out" and "stay out"and not have unhappy customers!

It gets salty enough here, but I never pull apart the brakes before needing to do a brake job.

Our Odyssey has 85k miles, sees mostly around town, is on its original pass and rotors, and I’ve never had an issue or a sound. Same with my accord that has 78k miles or so. Those are the cars in the collection that see winter/salt service.

Never once have I touched a brake. Makes me wonder what I’m missing, or what I might see when I do it.

Man, I'm glad I don't live in the rust belt. I never even knew what rust jacking was until youtube was a thing.
Rust Jacking makes those Chrome sheet metal covered lug nuts swell up too!
Then you need a 19.5 mm socket!
Although I have used a 20 mm socket.
I wish they made a 18 and 1/2 mm socket in a regular deep well not the flip sockets.
But I have looked all over for one to no avail!

It gets salty enough here, but I never pull apart the brakes before needing to do a brake job.

Our Odyssey has 85k miles, sees mostly around town, is on its original pass and rotors, and I’ve never had an issue or a sound. Same with my accord that has 78k miles or so. Those are the cars in the collection that see winter/salt service.

Never once have I touched a brake. Makes me wonder what I’m missing, or what I might see when I do it.
Preventive maintenance can never hurt!

Okay, just out of curiosity - I just looked up Pittsburgh as an example for "rust belt".
It's pretty much the same temperatures, rain, snow, moisture in the air andwhatnot as Bavaria where I live.
We also see heavy use of salt on the roads during winter.

But nobody would describe Bavaria as a rust belt (or Germany, which is pretty much the same climate).
Are there any additional conditions that makes the American rust belt different from Bavaria?

I mean nobody is blinking an eye over here, on special brake treatment or anything you guys talking about.
Did I miss something?

But nobody would describe Bavaria as a rust belt (or Germany, which is pretty much the same climate).
Are there any additional conditions that makes the American rust belt different from Bavaria?

I mean nobody is blinking an eye over here, on special brake treatment or anything you guys talking about.
Did I miss something?
Would need to find someone who has lived in both places to comment. Maybe @Trav ?

I wonder if your way more stringent TUV inspections keeps things in better shape?

i don't bleed the brakes when I do a pad slap, just push the piston in and force the fluid back into the reservoir. i also only grease the caliper pins, but there's no rust here so the pad slides don't rust and seize. the caliper pins do dry out though. never had a problem doing it this way. i do make sure everything moves nice and smooth before I put the caliper and wheel back.

Back