Can I get away with just doing a pad slap?

2018 Elantra w/52k miles.

The front pad squealers have started making noise. Peaking through the rims, the meat on the pads indeed looks low.

The factory rotors are not grooved and there is no pedal pulsation when braking.

I'm wondering if I can get away with just doing a pad slap here (along with new hardware & lubing slide pins). I will be using OE pads.

a set of raybestos element 3 rotors and pads is about 100$ shipped from rock.
I'd just do it and not do it again for awhile.. although the 2020 elantra was the easiest brake job I have ever done... by far.

When you have the calipers off, wire wheel the bee geezus out of the swept area of the rotors, then slap away. I favor soft dusty pads and bedding them in. :cool:

Yes, but I'd pull the rotors, clean their backsides, maybe slip a little anti sieze in there. Don't want them getting rust welded to the hubs. You could also hit the rotors with a flapper wheel (wear a mask, even with asbestos-free linings) to break the glaze.

If you're from California, maybe. If you have to deal with rust, then no :sneaky:

If you leave rotors on too long where rust is a problem, you could end up like this :D

When you're in there, you might as well replace the rotors since they (should) just slide off one you're doing everything else anyway.

I've pad slapped rotors that looked like records, only worse. I'm not convinced that it's bad, it's all the more surface area, once the pads get a matching surface, right? Worst case, you might have shorter pad life and feel like doing pads & rotors next time.

But do follow eljefino's advice, if you have to be in there, do all of the job--otherwise it'll be all the harder when the rotor goes.

When you have the calipers off, wire wheel the bee geezus out of the swept area of the rotors, then slap away. I favor soft dusty pads and bedding them in. :cool:
That is a common misconception. Smoother is better for surface finish.

I did this last weekend, but the rotors were in good shape. STILL:

removed all rotors, cleaned inside and out and hub surfaces. Sprayed inside and outside of rotor hats with VHT wheel paint.

thoroughly cleaned and lubed calipers and slides

screwed rotor down, then hit each side of the brake surface with a belt sander for 30 seconds as it spun on its own. This knocked down the outside ridge and gave a newer surface to bed too. I think I had something like 160 grit on it. I’ve had squealing on re-assembly before until learning to do this.

Yes, but I'd pull the rotors, clean their backsides, maybe slip a little anti sieze in there. Don't want them getting rust welded to the hubs. You could also hit the rotors with a flapper wheel (wear a mask, even with asbestos-free linings) to break the glaze.
And if one does that, they should index the rotor orientation to the hub and return it to the same position.

At 52k normal miles yes, i can't see the rotors being shot already unless they were junk from the factory.

I did just pads on my SantaFe at around 45K. The rotors looked great. 15K later they began to pulse and I had to replace the rotors. Should have done both originally.

Back