2019 Equinox Electronic Park Brake Problem

2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD 2.0L, 100k miles. Electronic Parking Brake code C0561-43 (EEProm error) after rear brake pad and caliper service.
I used an Autel Maxicheck to retract the brake pads, then changed rotors and pads. LH caliper was replaced with rebuilt, but park brake motor was reused. Ignition was off when disconnecting / reconnecting electrical connectors from park brake motors. Bled rears normally, then when attempting to extend the pads using scan tool got this error message.
I saw TSB PIT5953 regarding this topic, but I don't think I had the situation described, as the fluid reservoir was nearly empty when pushing pistons back in.
From what little I was able to find online, this may be a fatal situation for the electronic brake control module. I'm a bit perplexed that the use of a scan tool could cause damage in this way, if it was, in fact, responsible.
The brakes operate normally, but no ABS or traction control. Warning lights on the dash for brake and parking brake.
Is there any way to recover the module short of replacement?
Any and all assistance is appreciated.

Have not had this on my 19 Equinox…yet.

But yes, the Module is toast. Seems to be a quality issue with these….

I would be looking at the left rear caliper before buying anything else. It seems strange the pats retracted fine, the caliper is changed and now it will not expand with the rebuilt caliper. Coincidence the module fails at the same time?

I've run into this is the past with these vehicles. One we had to replace the EBCM and reprogram. Another one with the same issue we were able to manually command the calipers in and out with the Snap On scanner and doing so cleared the fault out. This was in one of the data screens unrelated to the parking brake service function.

I would be looking at the left rear caliper before buying anything else. It seems strange the pats retracted fine, the caliper is changed and now it will not expand with the rebuilt caliper. Coincidence the module fails at the same time?
Thanks for the reply. The rebuilt LR caliper had its piston fully retracted when installed. The motor was original from the car. I did not check to see if the driven 'bolt' in the caliper was free to move before installing the park brake motor, but when I attempted to use the scan tool to extend the pistons, there was an error message on the tool with no noise from either park brake motor.

I've run into this is the past with these vehicles. One we had to replace the EBCM and reprogram. Another one with the same issue we were able to manually command the calipers in and out with the Snap On scanner and doing so cleared the fault out. This was in one of the data screens unrelated to the parking brake service function.
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently attempting to find a shop in my area that may be able to better diagnose the vehicle than I can. Hopefully they'll have access to tools that can get the park brake module back among the living. If not, they can replace / reprogram the EBCM.

Update: I obtained a scan tool that allowed me to read the LR pressure sensor, and it was stuck at 14400, indicating the module was bad, per the bulletin. I opted to replace hydraulic block (ABS pump & valves) with the EBCM. Was thinking about installing it myself and driving it to a shop to have the EBCM programmed (I don't have ability to program), but I didn't want to drive the vehicle without having the ability to perform an ABS bleed, so I had the local shop install as well as program. Everything functions now.
This should be a cautionary tale to anyone using a scan tool to retract the parking brakes on these cars. In the future, I'll disassemble the parking brake mechanisms and manually retract the pistons to avoid killing the EBCM.
Thanks for the replies on this.

Back