Disc brake pad slap in the rust belt - can't be done

Thats why professional shops dont do pad slaps. And yeah, there is a difference between doing a pad slap and doing a brake job that doesnt involve replacing rotors. Its rare that we see a car that needs pads with rotors that are in good enough condition that they do not need to be replaced. In the event that we do not replace rotors we still completely disassemble, clean and lube everything and clean the hubs

I've done it on my Mercedes, the rotors are usually thick enough. On a cheaper car, maybe not, just have to measure the rotor. Most people advise doing the pad slap once, then new rotors on the next brake job, at least on MB.

The issues I have seen was not the rotor thickness but due to rust on something (brake ears, caliper pins) the pads had not been pressing properly against the rotor and the rotor has a band of rust where there should be a band of shinny rotor wear metal.

Thats why professional shops dont do pad slaps. And yeah, there is a difference between doing a pad slap and doing a brake job that doesnt involve replacing rotors. Its rare that we see a car that needs pads with rotors that are in good enough condition that they do not need to be replaced. In the event that we do not replace rotors we still completely disassemble, clean and lube everything and clean the hubs

What is the labor cost to do the brakes if the rotor just gets pulled and put back on. Do you sandblast the area of the caliper bracket where the SS clips fit in?

I don't know how they do it, especially in an area like I live in that loves their salt. For me a DIY'er for the most part I just skip the frustration and replace calipers, pads, and rotors especially if the vehicle has some age to it. I'm sure if somebody is paying a shop to do it they can possibly get away with not replacing the caliper, but talking to some shops around here they are in the same position I am. They usually quote calipers in the brake job as a CYA measure. Last year I tried getting away with just pads and rotors on the Liberty only to have to tear it all apart to replace a caliper.

I'm sure I could get away with just a pad and rotor swap on say the GTI, but it hardly ever sees salt. Camry might as well as it seems to be holding up good so far.

There seems to be a bit of semantics here just like we have for fluid flush vs. fluid exchange. For some, pad slap is literally just inserting new pads and no other work. For others, pad slap means a thorough brake job with no replacement of the rotor.

For me, the term pad slap has a negative connotation. I do complete brake jobs, sometimes with rotor replacement and other times not.

According to my family, I hold world records for slowness! Even if I just assist (my son), he knows the brake job will slow significantly.

There seems to be a bit of semantics here just like we have for fluid flush vs. fluid exchange. For some, pad slap is literally just inserting new pads and no other work. For others, pad slap means a thorough brake job with no replacement of the rotor.

For me, the term pad slap has a negative connotation. I do complete brake jobs, sometimes with rotor replacement and other times not.

According to my family, I hold world records for slowness! Even if I just assist (my son), he knows the brake job will slow significantly.
No use rushing through something that you like to do, or even if it's something not on your favorite list but something you do well anyway. It really doesn't take that much time to do things right. My kind of guy doit. Regards

When I lived in New York the rotors would usually rot from the inside out before the pads even got worn.

The coated rotors are coated between the inner and outer braking surfaces. In addition to the surface that contacts the hub and wheel. But coated rotors are somewhat new. Time will tell. I would guess the process to apply the coating is evolving as is the coating itself.

Moving is the best option.

What is the labor cost to do the brakes if the rotor just gets pulled and put back on. Do you sandblast the area of the caliper bracket where the SS clips fit in?
On most vehicles we charge 1.1 hrs for pads & rotors or 1 hour if pads no rotors. We no longer machine rotors. I dont like sandblasting caliper brackets personally, I clean the brackets to shiny metal with a file, die grinder or needle scaler depending on what fits. We apply a thin layer of brake grease to the bracket, install the clips, another thin layer of brake grease and then make sure the pads slide freely in the bracket before reinstalling the bracket. We dont replace calipers unless we have to/there is a reason to because I am not real thrilled with the quality of what is available locally. I trust a well seasoned OE caliper far more than a Cardone caliper which is the bulk of what I can get locally.

On most vehicles we charge 1.1 hrs for pads & rotors or 1 hour if pads no rotors. We no longer machine rotors. I dont like sandblasting caliper brackets personally, I clean the brackets to shiny metal with a file, die grinder or needle scaler depending on what fits. We apply a thin layer of brake grease to the bracket, install the clips, another thin layer of brake grease and then make sure the pads slide freely in the bracket before reinstalling the bracket. We dont replace calipers unless we have to/there is a reason to because I am not real thrilled with the quality of what is available locally. I trust a well seasoned OE caliper far more than a Cardone caliper which is the bulk of what I can get locally.

What if the pads do not slide freely in the bracket? File the ears of the pads (which might cause them to rust where there is now bare metal vs painted metal)?

I file the ears and slap some grease on. Works fine--as long as you tear it apart each year and reapply grease. If anything, it's good to have a hair loose, if rust does get in, it won't seize up (but not so loose as to make a clunk, of course).

Besides. This is the Northeast. It's all going to rust anyhow!

What in gods name is a pad slap?? I know what replacing just pads is but have never heard it called a pad slap?? Is this more of btoig Slang? Lol

What in gods name is a pad slap?? I know what replacing just pads is but have never heard it called a pad slap?? Is this more of btoig Slang? Lol
I'm not sure it's anything of a "fancy" name. I mean, you can slap paint on something, you can slap shingles onto a roof, slap icing on a cake, and the list goes on.

But I'm not sure I have heard any place other than BITOG.

Just a cute name for replacing brake pads. It can be as simple as just R&R the pads to disassembling, inspecting, cleaning and lubricating along with pad replacement. I suspect most BITOG members are close to (or exceed) the latter process.

What if the pads do not slide freely in the bracket? File the ears of the pads (which might cause them to rust where there is now bare metal vs painted metal)?
Nope, like I said we clean the bracket to bare metal under the abutment clips. If you clean to bare metal and lube everything the pads will slide freely. If they dont you have pads or clips that are made incorrectly. Filing the ears of the pads is not the best way to achieve the desired end result

I've met a few "professional" mechanics who swear your shouldn't use grease on the back and ears of pads because it'll get on the rotor face. Ha! Of course they were lazy and tried to justify their short cuts. Yes, it takes time to clean, lube and bleed everything properly but in the end is totally worth it.

Nope, like I said we clean the bracket to bare metal under the abutment clips. If you clean to bare metal and lube everything the pads will slide freely. If they dont you have pads or clips that are made incorrectly. Filing the ears of the pads is not the best way to achieve the desired end result

the pad backing plates are often not cut clean, and the paint can also be too thick in those areas. I have to redo the pads on new cars (2k miles or less) because of this. There's no corrosion anywhere yet at that point.

Not your Son in particular, but many in general;
See how fast they can do a job.
Other people see how well they can do a job.

Not your Son in particular, but many in general;See how fast they can do a job.
Other people see how well they can do a job.

My kids probably learned from me to do it right the first time and that DIYers don't need to work at the pace professional trades people do.

It's tough for me to hold back offering help, but I am getting much better. Usually my son only asks for help when he runs into trouble (i.e., stuck fastener, new skill, etc.). We all do/did this. My daughter completely remodeled her bathroom without asking any help. New toilet, sink, etc. with the required hookup, etc.. I told my wife I was bummed at first. They don't need me anymore, LOL. But self reliance and independence is good for them AND me!

Back