Pastelub users: where all do you apply it on brakes?

For those that have used Pastelub on brakes, what all do you put it on? I'm looking at buying some Raybestos DBL-2T for the caliper pins, but for everything else I'm considering using Pastelub. I haven't bought it yet, just researching. I live in the rust belt, and one of the main things I'm looking into is whether to use any sort of lube on the brake pad ears or the pad-side of the pad clips on the brackets. I know some people swear by using nothing, others swear by using something. Is Pastelub OK to use on these areas? My main concern would be the lube gunking up with dirt and brake dust and grabbing the pads more than just putting nothing on the ears and clips. They call Pastelub a "dry film" lubricant, so is it like a dry graphite type of surface, or is there some wetness to it that will grab and old onto dirt, salt, etc? I'd love to hear how others use this... thanks.

its like a dryer version of anti sieze. works good.
I use it on everything except pins.
Pastelub is an exceptional product.. extremely resistant to washing out etc.

you can also put a little on the back of your wheels so they don't corrode on. more than a little gets messy fast.

I use krown for that now.(back of wheels)

For those that have used Pastelub on brakes, what all do you put it on? I'm looking at buying some Raybestos DBL-2T for the caliper pins, but for everything else I'm considering using Pastelub. I haven't bought it yet, just researching. I live in the rust belt, and one of the main things I'm looking into is whether to use any sort of lube on the brake pad ears or the pad-side of the pad clips on the brackets. I know some people swear by using nothing, others swear by using something. Is Pastelub OK to use on these areas? My main concern would be the lube gunking up with dirt and brake dust and grabbing the pads more than just putting nothing on the ears and clips. They call Pastelub a "dry film" lubricant, so is it like a dry graphite type of surface, or is there some wetness to it that will grab and old onto dirt, salt, etc? I'd love to hear how others use this... thanks.
Hello arm3112,

I've been using Pastelub for over a dozen years. Let me share my experience. To my knowledge, Pastelub is made in Switzerland by Igralub that specializes in railroad industry lubes: https://igralub.com/en/products-industry-crane-car/?lang=en The Pastelub 10/12 is the equivalent to the U.S. product Pastelub 2400. The U.S. importer (to my knowledge) is Gary at https://www.gwrauto.com/gwrmain.html

From a previous BITOG post of mine:
The formula changed several years ago. It's now a darker black color vs. dark gray and is extremely sticky/clingy - almost annoying to apply. The old stuff was 99% impervious to water absorption with extreme rust prevention. The new stuff seems less impervious - palm glop under sink running water test. I tried contacting the company for info, but didn't follow through. Time will tell if it is still a rock star.

Old on top vs. new on bottom.....................rust free hub on my 10 year old Patriot - old product. New product wait and see.

229.JPG
1675728949319.jpeg

I use Pastelub on metal to metal exposed to weather components:
- UNDER the caliper anti rattle clips to prevent rust bloom that causes binding.
- Caliper pad ears. Drum brake shoes backing points.
- Rotor hats, both sides. Exterior brake drum surface.
- Anywhere I want rust prevention
- In all cases, applied by massaging a paper thin layer onto the surface. NO gooping whatsoever.
- Agriculture uses: gate hinges, etc..

2 year review of the NEW Pastelub: Sadly, it is NOT as good as the old product IMO. Advertises >30% solids vs. old >40% solids. M77 is >60% solids. More wet/stringy/clingy. MORE able to imbibe water (similar to silicone grease now). The old product was impervious to water absorption. Less rust prevention, but still good. No problems with dirt adherence causing problems.

I am inclined to look for other products. Maybe Dow/Honda Molykote M77? Other high solids, brake safe pastes?? Paste is just a term for a less oily type of grease. It is NOT dry lube. The idea of these pastes is that as the oils/carrier dissipate, the solids (moly "marbles") hang on to provide lubrication.

Would be interesting to contact Gary at GWR to find out why the formulation changed. Environmental Regulations? Personal safety? Marketing? Cost Cutting? He did not want to tell me via email....only phone, and I did not follow up.

FYI, I used 3M silicone grease for rubber boot enclosed pins. After trying all the gimmick brake pin lubes, simple silicone grease lasts the longest in my vehicles and rust belt environment.

Last edited:
Hello arm3112,

I've been using Pastelub for over a dozen years. Let me share my experience. To my knowledge, Pastelub is made in Switzerland by Igralub that specializes in railroad industry lubes: https://igralub.com/en/products-industry-crane-car/?lang=en The Pastelub 10/12 is the equivalent to the U.S. product Pastelub 2400. The U.S. importer (to my knowledge) is Gary at https://www.gwrauto.com/gwrmain.html

doitmyself,

REALLY appreciate that in-depth review you provided. I was hoping you'd comment on this post, as I have seen several of your other replies on Pastelub. Good to know that indeed the newer product is not as good as the original. Really a shame. There's another product on the GWR Auto site called Silencer Spray that I was really eager to try out as well. It claims to not only silence brake noise, but to create a water/rust-resistant surface of any metal you spray it on, even the friction areas of the rotors. It claims to last about a year between applications. I'd love to have a non-rusty rotor, and I've seen everywhere that the coated rotors only last a year or two at best in the salt belt. But based on your testimony of Pastelub, it has me questioning the effectiveness of the Silencer Spray as well. I also find it odd that GWR Auto doesn't take orders or questions online, only over the phone. I was getting ready to call the number tomorrow, but may not now.

I suppose I'll look into a 3M silicone grease for the pins instead. And I was seeing some posts on the Molycote 77 - sounds like that may be the better way to go. Again, I really appreciate the info you provided.

I suppose I'll look into a 3M silicone grease for the pins instead. And I was seeing some posts on the Molycote 77 - sounds like that may be the better way to go. Again, I really appreciate the info you provided.
Silicone grease for the pins and boots and Molycote M77 for pad backs, shims, and ears is specified by Honda and has worked great for me over a long time.

doitmyself,

REALLY appreciate that in-depth review you provided. I was hoping you'd comment on this post, as I have seen several of your other replies on Pastelub. Good to know that indeed the newer product is not as good as the original. Really a shame. There's another product on the GWR Auto site called Silencer Spray that I was really eager to try out as well. It claims to not only silence brake noise, but to create a water/rust-resistant surface of any metal you spray it on, even the friction areas of the rotors. It claims to last about a year between applications. I'd love to have a non-rusty rotor, and I've seen everywhere that the coated rotors only last a year or two at best in the salt belt. But based on your testimony of Pastelub, it has me questioning the effectiveness of the Silencer Spray as well. I also find it odd that GWR Auto doesn't take orders or questions online, only over the phone. I was getting ready to call the number tomorrow, but may not now.

I have a can of the brake silencer that you can have if you want to send me postage. I've never had any problems with brake noise and with today's coated rotors, it seems like a "solution looking for a problem".

I buy my Pastelub from Goodsons, but I see a few other retailers now.

doitmyself,

Good review. Ive never run pastelub. I have started to use m77 in more locations, like the brakes on my MB cars.

Back