Disappointed with new TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After following some picture quality tweak guides online, we're more than happy with our 49" TCL Roku TV.

Full disclosure: The first one we bought was a dud. It had power-on issues but no dead pixels.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Only the latest and most expensive TVs are catching up to the picture quality of Plasma.
They are getting closer but not in budget TVs.

My 1080p plasma is a number of years old, and I have no desire to get rid of it or "trade up," for sure.

I bought an Insignia 55" 4K which is a TCL set or vice versa,same set inside and thought it looked pretty good.
About 6 months later the sound went bad and they couldn't fix it because of back ordered parts.
Best Buy gave me full credit for the set and I bought a Samsung 55" 4K,cost a a couple hundred more.
What a difference in picture quality!No regrets at all.
Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Ive had my 60" Samsung LED since 2013. Excellent picture and I have no desire to upgrade to a 4k with so little still being shown in 4k.

Let me pose a question. How many of you would say that your overall experience with what you watch on your TV is significantly improved by increased resolution? I find myself watching less TV overall and instead watching YouTube videos on my phone (even though I can cast to the TV) or Netflix on the TV. As resolution has increased have you noticed that the makeup on actors has gotten heavier or that the overall picture has become much darker to hide all the unattractive details that HDTV reveals?

I see increasing resolution more as a sales tool than a life enhancer. When you recall the best TV moments of your life does the picture quality even factor into the equation? I was only four when the moon landing was televised. I experienced the final episode of MASH. I recall clearly the scenes from September 11. None of it would be altered in my memory if it had been broadcast in HD, or ultra-HD, for that matter.

You hit the nail on the head. The overall color palette has darkened to hide the flaws that HDTV now shows.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Let me pose a question. How many of you would say that your overall experience with what you watch on your TV is significantly improved by increased resolution? I find myself watching less TV overall and instead watching YouTube videos on my phone (even though I can cast to the TV) or Netflix on the TV. As resolution has increased have you noticed that the makeup on actors has gotten heavier or that the overall picture has become much darker to hide all the unattractive details that HDTV reveals?

I see increasing resolution more as a sales tool than a life enhancer. When you recall the best TV moments of your life does the picture quality even factor into the equation? I was only four when the moon landing was televised. I experienced the final episode of MASH. I recall clearly the scenes from September 11. None of it would be altered in my memory if it had been broadcast in HD, or ultra-HD, for that matter.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Only the latest and most expensive TVs are catching up to the picture quality of Plasma.
They are getting closer but not in budget TVs.

My 1080p plasma is a number of years old, and I have no desire to get rid of it or "trade up," for sure.

I have a 2008 Kuro Elite; I'm in no hurry to replace it either.

Still got my 48 inch Samsung plasma. Nothing can touch it sports related when I compare it to the other LCD's I have in the house. One thing I did do after reading that heat is the killer with plasma's is I got a small, like 4 inch diameter fan, and put it behind the plasma tv and have it blowing directly on an intake vent from the bottom shooting upwards. You won't believe the amount of heat that's coming off that tv, but that quality when watching sports is unsurpassed.

Motion looks like junk on both my LED and cheap LCD Tv's.

I just sit back far enough to not notice it.

If you sit too close you will see pixels.

I have a changhong 50 inch and a best buy house brand 40 inch.

Both were under 300 bucks new.

The LED looks more bright and overall better than the LCD, but the old school plasmas look very good.

I prefer a standalone roku device, they are like computers they age.

The older Roku's run apps terribly, they need to be upgraded every couple years.

My newer roku runs circles around the older one, and the apps are more dynamic looking.

I would not want an embedded roku, or any apps embedded in a tv unless they had frequent firmware updates, and I"m guessing TCL does not do this.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I would not want an embedded roku, or any apps embedded in a tv unless they had frequent firmware updates, and I"m guessing TCL does not do this.

Here's how you update a Roku TV >>>>>>

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: JustinH

Here's how you update a Roku TV >>>>>>

Thats cool but when you buy a new standalone Roku they put a more powerful processor in it every time.

Maybe someone mentioned it, but TCL has a $600 65" at Best Buy that offers things normally the $1k+ price range offers. It just came out this year. I was waiting for it as it has the latest tech st a really good price. This model also comes in a $650 version; the extra $50 is for a specialty remote. But I can do without that.

Edit: I can't recall if it's 55 or 65"that cost $600 but they offer both and a super size one too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back