Shopping For Large TV

So a fanboy? If you have never used any other what do you have to go on? ;)

My 2 cents
High end sony TV's are great. Most of their low and mid-low range tv's are overpriced name on a box.
Which is fine if there is a good sale.. but why pay 40% more for a TV with worse features and picture.. that is Not bang for the buck.

Or another way to look at it.. they might make the nicest budget TV but if its not a budget price the value isnt there vs someone elses.. midrange TV for the same price.

I will tell you what not to buy.. Its been a few years but Vizio they failed me with a soundbar, a D line(budget) TV and a M line"premium" tv.

Soundbar just went poof, The Dline tv lost the backlight, and the M line not cheap TV has zone dimming errors.
I have an old insignia brand. 32-in LCD from Best buy which everybody remarks how beautiful the picture is much better than my Samsung by far. I guess it has something to do with LCDs rather than LEDs

I have an old insignia brand. 32-in LCD from Best buy which everybody remarks how beautiful the picture is much better than my Samsung by far. I guess it has something to do with LCDs rather than LEDs

A lot of times buzzwords are thrown around, but OLED technology certainly has benefits over older LCD technology with backlights. I remember when LED backlighting was supposed to be revolutionary compared to cold cathode backlights.

I remember over a decade ago, Dolby Labs made a series of professional video displays for use in video mastering. But their primary product was a 42" LCD monitor that used thousands of LED backlights with a control system. I recall the price was originally around $50,000. I also heard it was really thick because of all the electronics and loud because it needed fans to cool everything.

That the way our 2004/05 era Olevia 32” lcd was and the sound was actually good

Sony 98 anyone. :D

I see your 98” and raise you with this 146” display! Professional install is only $9,000… though the brochure shows up to 583” at 8K. The price is “if you have to ask you can’t afford it.”
IMG_9238.png

Last edited:
Kind of dicey to find a review because they do not review all sizes so this may confuse you more, maybe not.
Good luck with your decision.

There’s a formula on the WWW that figures the ideal size TV for different size rooms. It takes into account the distance from the TV, height of the TV, head height when seated, etc. A friend has a huge TV in a small den and his seating is so that you have to move your head to watch it. Like sitting on the front row at an imax screen.

There’s a formula on the WWW that figures the ideal size TV for different size rooms. It takes into account the distance from the TV, height of the TV, head height when seated, etc. A friend has a huge TV in a small den and his seating is so that you have to move your head to watch it. Like sitting on the front row at an imax screen.
Yep, and it depends on the room. Aesthetics come into play sometimes and trump TV size...at least they should. 85" screens on undersized consoles front and center in a main living space is tacky, IMO.

Both of those are sub-par. Neither has any form of local dimming and neither has the brightness needed for daytime watching or proper HDR playback.

Stretch your budget and go for this guy right here:

TCL QM8 85" MINI-LED TV
OK i think i will go with that set ! Either in 75 or 85.

What sound bars, surround would work with it?

? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...-system-6-piece-black/4580243.p?skuId=4580243

This is a wired system, i have to see if i can run wire through my vaulted roof trusses. Could a center channel speaker be mounted above the TV? I may use a swing down mantle mount.

? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...-system-6-piece-black/4580243.p?skuId=4580243

This is a wired system, i have to see if i can run wire through my vaulted roof trusses. Could a center channel speaker be mounted above the TV? I may use a swing down mantle mount.

No need to run speaker cable, this JBL Bar is all you need.

I'm with @Malo83: just get the JBL soundbar and call it good. You can hook it up to the tv either with an optical cable or HDMI via eARC. I prefer using optical as it avoids all the handshake crap HDMI uses. Since you're just using the bar, not having HD audio (DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD/ATMOS) won't make a difference.

Back