Shopping For Large TV

Talking from experience, all my tv's have been Sony and Sony only. :D
So a fanboy? If you have never used any other what do you have to go on? ;)

My 2 cents
High end sony TV's are great. Most of their low and mid-low range tv's are overpriced name on a box.
Which is fine if there is a good sale.. but why pay 40% more for a TV with worse features and picture.. that is Not bang for the buck.

Or another way to look at it.. they might make the nicest budget TV but if its not a budget price the value isnt there vs someone elses.. midrange TV for the same price.

I will tell you what not to buy.. Its been a few years but Vizio they failed me with a soundbar, a D line(budget) TV and a M line"premium" tv.

Soundbar just went poof, The Dline tv lost the backlight, and the M line not cheap TV has zone dimming errors.

Last edited:
So you had bad luck with tv's :LOL: both my daughters have Vizios and they are working fine, as for the Sonys I'll stick with what works for me. :D

OLED is the latest and greatest panel technology. Considering your replacing a plasma TV in 2023, I'm assuming you will keep this for a long time.
I would buy the largest OLED you can afford.

So you had bad luck with tv's :LOL: both my daughters have Vizios and they are working fine, as for the Sonys I'll stick with what works for me. :D
I've actually had the same Samsung since 2014 and a Panasonic plasma for 7 years before that. I gave away.

Just this year I moved the Samsung to spare bedroom and upgraded to a Hisense u8h 65" for my small living room

The Vizio's mentioned were among extended family.

They call me to find them a decent replacement.

Have 3 Hisense TVs. One is 4 years old and works great. The picture quality is outstanding for a 65" TV that I paid $350 for.
Have a TCL 6 series that's 75". Top notch picture quality and the difference between 65" and 75" is very, very noticeable.
I have to think at 85" one issue is the logistics of moving it, getting it home and mounting it.

OLED is great for bedrooms or TV rooms that do not get bright.

Mini-LED TVs are the way to go if the room you watch TV gets a lot of light.

I personally have a TCL QM8 85" been very happy with it, no complaints.

OLED is great for bedrooms or TV rooms that do not get bright.
Agree per my post #27 also for another reason. All types of screen technologies are now good in well made sets. All have positives and negatives, so best to ignore and make sure the OP gets a good set.
With that said, I am not a OLED person for the reason you mention AND the fact that just because the words OLED are on a set does not mean it is superior to LED, the public doesnt know this and I bet 90% of sales people do not know.

Sure many less expensive OLEDs MAY have comparable black levels to well made LEDs HOWEVER some of them lose detail in dark areas and the LED will shine. Just saying this because people base buying decisions on screen type rather then what screen suits them better and most important what TV makes best use of the screen on the set.

A well made TV can use either technology well, inferior TVs can not. But without question I would not get a OLED for a bright room or if you like a bright picture.

Disclaimer: I'm not a TV guru. :giggle: My current TV is a Panasonic TC-P55GT50 ($1300) which I bought 10 years ago so a LOT has changed. It replaced a "20 ProScan tube TV! Lol. I was WAY overdue for an upgrade!

What is your opinion on picture quality and your price range? How picky are you? I ask as there fanatics about picture quality and those who are happy with screen movement with color! I'm picky with picture quality, to some extent...definitely not a fanatic. I did a little calibration with my TV and am very happy. Even after 10 years, I still find myself amazed with picture quality sometimes. I have a friend who bought a $750 55" Samsung right before me. I went over to his house to see it to get an idea of the size and picture. He thought the picture was great! I was thinking "Holy cow! How can you watch this?!?" In your face, overly bright colors, motion was blurry. I asked if he thought about calibrating it and he thought it was perfectly fine the way it was. We were actually talking about our TVs a couple days ago and he mentioned when his goes out, he'll pick up a "65 $400 4k TV and it will be GREAT! For him, yes. For me, guarantee that's not happening, at all. I'll look for the best quality within a price range. It will be a chunk of money for me, but if I'm spending $$, I don't want to look at a TV for the next 10+ years thinking "I'm not really happy with the picture. I wish I'd bought a better one."

Sony (BMW at Chevy price)

(Don't get up in the technology buzz and marketing debate LED vs OLED)
That sony is not great. You can get mini-led for almost that price.
Its not bad either but at $2000 there is some stiff competition.
the mini led sony is 3500.

its what I was talking about earlier sony makes a great tv but their $2000 tv is better than someone elses $1299 tv.

His org. budget was closer to 1299 though so that sony appears to be over budget and not worth 50% more than another brand for being slightly better.

That sony is not great. You can get mini-led for almost that price.
Its not bad either but at $2000 there is some stiff competition.
the mini led sony is 3500.

its what I was talking about earlier sony makes a great tv but their $2000 tv is better than someone elses $1299 tv.

His org. budget was closer to 1299 though so that sony appears to be over budget and not worth 50% more than another brand for being slightly better.
The screen technology in quality sets means nothing to me and I doubt very much he is planning on spending even $2,000.
We buy what things are worth to us

Have 3 Hisense TVs. One is 4 years old and works great. The picture quality is outstanding for a 65" TV that I paid $350 for.
Have a TCL 6 series that's 75". Top notch picture quality and the difference between 65" and 75" is very, very noticeable.
I have to think at 85" one issue is the logistics of moving it, getting it home and mounting it.
Love my Hisense U6GR, blows the LG and Samsungs I have out of the water in every way. Just occasionally (every other month it seems) the HDMI eARC to the sound bar decides to stop working and I have to reboot the TV to get it working again.

Love my Hisense U6GR, blows the LG and Samsungs I have out of the water in every way. Just occasionally (every other month it seems) the HDMI eARC to the sound bar decides to stop working and I have to reboot the TV to get it working again.
I love my u8h vertdict is out on longevity
All the TVs that have the weird moving artifacts that's pretty much fixed if you get 120 hertz and good signal processing

While the 2014 Samsung was quite pricey back then this TV just absolutely destroys it in every measurable way and in some ways that are maybe not measurable.

I love my u8h vertdict is out on longevity
All the TVs that have the weird moving artifacts that's pretty much fixed if you get 120 hertz and good signal processing

While the 2014 Samsung was quite pricey back then this TV just absolutely destroys it in every measurable way and in some ways that are maybe not measurable.
I wanted the U8 but with little kids I’m gambling hardcore…. The bottom ~6” of my U6 is currently covered in little 1 and 2 year old hand prints/cheerio paste lol

... It will be a chunk of money for me, but if I'm spending $$, I don't want to look at a TV for the next 10+ years thinking "I'm not really happy with the picture. I wish I'd bought a better one."
That is the way we roll in our house. My wife and I dont have the TV running all day long or even in the evening until later at night. We love watching movies, limited series and rent an occasional Blu ray (but is becoming rare now, rather rent a streaming movie)

Anyway, long story short, we like to buy quality things, doesnt mean it's the most expensive. TV is entertainment for us, so why would I care if I spend an extra $600 for something we enjoy? Heck, some people spend that at one sports event for an evening and a TV is for years of entertainment.
We always purchased well reviewed TVs for our main room.

We reviewed TVs in the $1,500 to $2,000 price range some years ago. Bought a Sony X900 and were thrilled with the almost 3d like quality of the picture. Cost was $1,599 on sale and now I think the new version is around $1,300 or so.

The competition is tough between the major producers in this range, Samsung, LG and Sony, some other lessor known brand also make some well reviewed high end sets like Vizio. We chose the Sony based on a range of different reviews. Does any product always excel in all areas? Of course not, chose what works for you. Some of it even comes down to the style of what is mounted on your wall.

So for our main TV I could care less about the cost in the $1,500 range, just give me a drop dead nice looking picture, quality look and feel of the unit itself and reputation of a well constructed brand and not a TV that is produced by a sub contractor.
I also do NOT allow myself to get caught up with the latest marketing buzz words.

One of the biggest scams was Samsungs trademarking the name QLED. People actually thought they were getting OLED TVs or something special (even in this forum). It wasnt really a scam, just brilliant marketing by Samsung on a scale unseen in marketing!
No one knows that Sony developed that technology in or around 2013, it's just that Samsung thought of a brilliant name for it.
QLED is an LED, almost every manufacturer on earth has a modification with their LEDs. Samsung named theirs to sound and actually LOOK LIKE like the symbol OLED.

Its why I say ignore, even the latest mini LED, until proven otherwise, you would not see a difference from a few feet away and you still do not know how reliable they will be until everyone is using them.

Last edited:
Its why I say ignore, even the latest mini LED, until proven otherwise, you would not see a difference from a few feet away and you still do not know how reliable they will be until everyone is using them.
Mini LED really helps the HDR.. my 65" tv can get brighter than my s23 ultra. Sunbeams.. look BRIGHT! and this is considered a midrange tv.
Since the only seating is a couch Straight in front of it the viewing angles are fine. Also no funky motion blur in shows/sports(soap opera effect)
I almost got the u6h but at the time the u8h was only a couple hundred more so I splurged.

Definitely need to walk around in a store and look at TVs Some people can see differences and some like anything big and bright.
Check your angles from your living room then walk in front of the demo tv to see how much of an effect angles has on it.
Brightness of your room also matters.

Generally speaking find some models and go reseach their ratings then find a sale.

Mini LED really helps the HDR.. my 65" tv can get brighter than my s23 ultra. Sunbeams.. look BRIGHT! and this is considered a midrange tv.
Since the only seating is a couch Straight in front of it the viewing angles are fine. Also no funky motion blur in shows/sports(soap opera effect)
I almost got the u6h but at the time the u8h was only a couple hundred more so I splurged.

Definitely need to walk around in a store and look at TVs Some people can see differences and some like anything big and bright.
Check your angles from your living room then walk in front of the demo tv to see how much of an effect angles has on it.
Brightness of your room also matters.

Generally speaking find some models and go reseach their ratings then find a sale.
I dont disagree except to say there is good and bad implementation of screen technologies asa well as reliability of the set itself.

Back