Direct injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Back in the early 1980s while taking continuing education classes [auto tech] the discussion would be Fuel injection sucks and will never be as good as a carb.

I recall hearing that too. I thought EFI was light years ahead of a carb, especially after the EPA got their hands on carbs toward the end of their run. Even the early EFI, and it only got better as time went on. I don't think DI is light years ahead of EFI, at least not in its current configuration. But it is here to stay and improving. Opinions vary.

More and more engine makers will switch to DI ... Look for one with a hybrid PFI along with DI and no worries .
I have a straight DI engine and run the following regiment :

*Top Tier Fuel
*Techron bottle every 5,000 miles
*Synthetic Oil 5W30 D1G2 (oil cap says 5W20)
*5,000 mile OCI
*Intake Valve Cleaner every 12K miles
*Monthly Italian Tune Up

Best regiment I can perform for 2.4L Hyundai DI non - turbo 4 cylinder and hope to get 250K miles out of her ... If not , I'll be one and done with Hyundai DI engines - we shall see .

Originally Posted By: sopususer
With manufacturers moving to dual injection, both port and direct, hopefully it will solve the issue with dirty valves in DI engines.

Dual port and direct injection technology

Dual path injection is a relatively easy solution but messy solution.

Adding that eliminates the harder work and tooling costs involved in actually redesigning an existing DI system to be able to clean the valves

I look at these systems as temporary add ons to existing designs that will likely be removed during etc next clean slate redesign of the combustion chamber.

As to what is more efficient - this math has already been done. A super high pressure injection system atomizes better than a low pressure system.

This is one reason diesel injection rails run at such high pressure - same principle applied to a gasoline engine.

UD

Last edited:
The 2010-2012 GM 2.4 in the Terrain/Equinox were notorious
for 'gassy' oil. Design was slapped together without enough
field testing.
The carbon build up is from the EGR systems. If they would spend
engineering time fixing that, the GDI would be great.
Those with collecting cans in their EGR systems are amazed at the crud
they collect.

My 2¢

Just how much fuel dilution is bad?

After years of owning a diesel and not changing oil on a gasser, I was surprised at the gas smell. I've gotten over it. Furthermore that old diesel racked up a pile of miles with the blackest oil you've seen. I've seen black oil in well worn gassers too. Furthermore, as my fleet ages, the oil is starting to darken up when it comes out. And from what I've read... none of that matters. The oil is doing one of its jobs, holding stuff in solution, until it can be changed.

Everyone seems to forget we were getting 200K from terribly tuned small block chevies running fat as pigs for decades.
Fuel dilution was way worse with carbs than modern Di systems.

UD

0w20 for a 115k on my Mazda Sky not a problem I’ll bet it gets to 300k without a problem.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Everyone seems to forget we were getting 200K from terribly tuned small block chevies running fat as pigs for decades.

Good point, Dave!

UD

I wonder what the lead numbers would have been in a uoa from back then?

Good question, id guess ridiculous in some cases and probably the better cases would be considered bad today - of course we dumped oil at 3K miles all the time. sometimes twice a year regardless. Sometimes wed dump before a vacation - tow a boat or trailer 2K, then change right away when we got back.

with a carb altitude was never right (or I should say can only ever be right at one altitude and temp) and the base tune was often quite off.

We used to tune tow rigs up a bit fat to keep them cooler.

I was sitting at a light in front of an early 70 series vette the other day and it smelled like an open can of gas in the seat next to me.

As an older guy, I can assure you the good old days weren't all candy and nuts.

UD

Last edited:
Good question, id guess ridiculous in some cases and probably the better cases would be considered bad today - of course we dumped oil at 3K miles all the time. sometimes twice a year regardless. Sometimes wed dump before a vacation - tow a boat or trailer 2K, then change right away when we got back.

with a carb altitude was never right (or I should say can only ever be right at one altitude and temp) and the base tune was often quite off.

We used to tune tow rigs up a bit fat to keep them cooler.

I was sitting at a light in front of an early 70 series vette the other day and it smelled like an open can of gas in the seat next to me.

As an older guy, I can assure you the good old days weren't all candy and nuts.

UD

Yep, there are good and bad memories of helping or watching my dad work on the car. Cleaning the oil bath was a chore we did early on. In those days, a tuneup and a grease job meant something.

I still remember pulling in to the neighborhood Texaco. Us kids in the back would roll the window down to smell the gasoline fumes. The attendant would chat as he washed the windshield.

All that fuel in the oil made it burn better in the barn heater.

We would take that oil from tractors, (we had a bunch on 700acres) cars, everything

..and filter it through a Frantz (type thing) with the only gravity between two 55 gallon drums racked horizontally & cut the filtered oil again with some kerosene and had fuel most of the winter.

UD

I just thank heavens every day that consumer idiots have no control over the engineering of the stuff I can buy. We should all be so thankful.

UD

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Good point, Dave!

True! But back then, everyone was running 10w-30 and 10w-40. Not the 0w-20 required for warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
OP, how often do you drive on the highway/get to sustained higher RPM's?
regularly and every now and then I use the slap shift and tach it up

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I can change the oil on my truck for $20. It takes $80 to fill the fuel tank. I’ll change my oil sooner to gain a few miles per gallon.

Of course it really doesn’t matter in my case because I never went over 5k mile intervals on port injected trucks either.

If I could use conventional oil I wouldn't care either. My last oil change will be September I might just use 5w20 conventional because come December I'm trading the car in and save my 0w20 stash for wifey's Corolla.

There don't seem to be any issues with the DI on the new generation of Corvettes, there are a few members of the CorvetteForum that have over 70k on their cars and haven't reported any problems. And those that have poked around inside the engine have reported the backs of the valves don't look too bad. So I'm not really too worried long term about mine, I will always use top tier premium gas, I will keep using one of ESP Formula Mobil 1 oils (which have low sulphated ash) and unless the UOAs tell me to go even shorter intervals, I will follow the oil life monitor (and those that do a lot of highway driving and no track driving have reported it usually counts down to zero no higher than 8k) I will also be sure to do a lot of full throttle runs from time to time as well, as I do believe that helps keep any engine nice and clean inside whether it has direct injection or port injection.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

UD

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Good point, Dave!

True! But back then, everyone was running 10w-30 and 10w-40. Not the 0w-20 required for warranty.

True.

The sump volumes were usually a bit larger and everyone back then was dumping sumps far more often which masks the problem.

UD

GDI non-turbo on my 2014 Optima. Oil changes 5-6 k, with FS 5w-30, bottle of techron with oil change. Just over 50 k on it. Have not had the issues people are talking about. Guessing because of the amount of mikes I drive between oil changes

Simply start boycotting all car manufacturers that use DI engines.

That will show them!

Also write your congressman and emphasize the oil color and smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back