DEXRON VI. MOBIL V VALVOLINE V AC DELCO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zeng
Poor shear stability of non-LV ATF was said to be one of several reasons for upward revision of shear stable LV ATF in mid 2000's.
When Pennzoil Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF claims to have 0-90 % 'GTL', I like to speculate the more current LV version would have more if not similar 'GTL', percentage wise .

I think sds for mobil dexron vi syn blend indicates 30 - 40 percent gtl. I think here at least it does not say 0-30 or 0-40. I think it is approved and licensed dex vi.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Yup thats why the oil industry and the regulators leave much to be desired.

No, you're trying to use something for which it was never designed. MSDS are (once again) for emergency spill responders and firefighters, or as hazard information for anyone who might come into contact with the material. They are not for reverse engineering a product.

And although you like to denigrate the oil industry, it isn't just that sector that prepares MSDS for their products. Every industry is the same, no one will ever, ever reveal formulation secrets in those sheets. It isn't the purpose and it never has been.

If you wish to comprehensively assay the composition of a motor oil (or any other product) you're stuck doing it the hard way like everyone else.

Thanks for the tip on syngard tip nygotha.

Chevy owners manual does not give a part number for atf as i want to know what was the exact factory fill.

I am starting to doubt if dex vi spec restricts fluid to be at most synthetic blend. Mobil would have produced a full syn version given all their stock. Now i see that ac delco "full syn" is really a syn blend.
So frustrating. This is one example of how the oil industry and regulators leave much to be desired !

Correction up top.
I am starting to think that dex vi spec restricts a true full synthetic version dex vi. Thats why we have syn blends even though the bottle says full syn.

I'm even more confused, I thought ACDelco was a semi synthetic. If at one point it was, what would the timeline be. I want to pan drop and filter change my 2011 Silverado and debating what oil to get.

Its confusing. I even tried a couple of dealers. They had no idea. They were polite and nice though.

I ordered mobil dexron vi synthetic blend. It looks good on paper.

I have seen adds & product photos on line for GM Dexron 6 . Some said blend , some said full synthetic .

So , I am confused also .

I used Havoline Dexron VI full synthetic for out Chevy Sonic . It was very competitively priced on Amazon , when I bought it in 2015 .

God bless
Wyr

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Our Cruze Dex VI looked like 10k motor oil at 40k - so now do at 20k OCI. 11 mm wrench and 4 quarts
(my ramps) - faster than oil change really ...
Used AC Delco, Transmax, and Maxlife so far ...

I crawled under sis chevy to take a look with a 11 mm wrench. Thanks for that info.
The drain plug was not screwed in all the way from factory. Is this common ? I held off on the drain.

It is a tapered interference thread whereas the oil drain is a non tapered with an oversized seal face flange (10mm and very sensitive to over torque). Motor oil plug is easy to round off so I keep a six point Snap On box wrench on a hook.
The ATF plug does sit "proud" like that - I'm not sure why - but it is probably fine. What I tend to do first time and when in doubt is buy a spare plug in town or eBay...

It is a tapered interference thread whereas the oil drain is a non tapered with an oversized seal face flange (10mm and very sensitive to over torque). Motor oil plug is easy to round off so I keep a six point Snap On box wrench on a hook.
The ATF plug does sit "proud" like that - I'm not sure why - but it is probably fine. What I tend to do first time and when in doubt is buy a spare plug in town or eBay...

Thanks
The equinox motor oil drain plug is 15mm old school.
Ofcourse i could not budge it as it was overtightened at dealer.
For atf plug when you say it sits proud you mean the threads still show !! ? I was able to rotate it in both direction but really could not tighten it any more than what shows in the pic above.
Thanks for "buy an extra plug" tip. Might look for a magnetic one too.

Yes - mine will show maybe 1/3 of threads with 2/3 of them engaged & forming the seal.
After several changes - no leaks.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Our Cruze Dex VI looked like 10k motor oil at 40k - so now do at 20k OCI. 11 mm wrench and 4 quarts
(my ramps) - faster than oil change really ...
Used AC Delco, Transmax, and Maxlife so far ...

I crawled under sis chevy to take a look with a 11 mm wrench. Thanks for that info.
The drain plug was not screwed in all the way from factory. Is this common ? I held off on the drain.

Is there a torque spec for that bolt?
smile.gif

I see the thread is alive.

So i will put a positive review for the dealer.
smile.gif

On the phone i was told that they do a complete atf flush for 153 bucks or so. I thought that was pretty reasonable. They do oil changes every 3k though regardless of miles so i will have to tell sis to save the money there and use it for other repairs
smile.gif

What base stock ATF does that dealer use? Is it licensed?

It it semi-synthetic or full synthetic? How much GTL does it contain?

Does that brand publish NOACK test results?

How good does it look on paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back