DEXRON VI. MOBIL V VALVOLINE V AC DELCO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
I dont think dorman pan is needed as we can already drain the atf. They are nice as i have one on my expi with the so called dipstick.!!!
Anyone tried a magnetic drain plug for these trannys?

good to know you have a drain plug
smile.gif

i dont think supertech dex vi is 2.99 anymore?

no, but it's like 4.29, still a good price for a licensed Dexron VI

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Our Cruze Dex VI looked like 10k motor oil at 40k - so now do at 20k OCI. 11 mm wrench and 4 quarts
(my ramps) - faster than oil change really

glad to hear the Cruze has a drain plug for the transmission
smile.gif

SECTION 3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Substance / Mixture : Mixture
Chemical nature : Defatter
Hazardous components
Chemical Name CAS-No. Classification Concentration (%)
HYDROTREATED LIGHT
PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE
64742-55-8 Not a hazardous
substance or mixture.

Looks like valvoline is also a synthetic blend at 41.37 percent. Wonder why they classify it as full synthetic. So the low flash point makes sense now. Feedback?

Our Cruze Dex VI looked like 10k motor oil at 40k - so now do at 20k OCI. 11 mm wrench and 4 quarts
(my ramps) - faster than oil change really ...
Used AC Delco, Transmax, and Maxlife so far ...

Was that on factory fill dex vi that it looked like used motor oil at 40k?

Same thing with my 2012 Nissan Frontier at 30k miles. I had to do a complete exchange twice in order to finally get it cleaned out.

Last edited:
Wonder if one can take a clean hanger or a clean dipstick from anther vehicle and insert it in the fill hole periodically
smile.gif

My head hurts !!!
Ac delco is made by shell.
Pennzool platinum lv is approved fro dex vi.
My mind goes back to ac delco blend 5w30 motor oil scoring a 7.9 on noack at pqia. Wonder of that is shell too !

Any thpught on platinum lv atf out there.

I just did a drain & fill on my Enclave, which has a very nice drain plug, and got approx 4.5L out, and refilled with Mobil Dex IV. Couldn't find Valvoline full syn up here in Canada at our local parts store. Walmart up here doesn't carry proper spec'd ATF. They do have some Castrol 1qt bottles which are "multi-vehicle" which I didn't want to use as I preferred to get the specific fluid.

Its amazing to read how easily and widely available some brands and fluids are for our US friends VS. what we can get here in Canada.

My Enclave has approx 115K (KM's) and I had no history of when this was last (if ever) done, so I plan on doing this at least once per year on account of how easy it is.

IIRC - PetroCanada got the first Dex VI license and Mobil got the second - dozens after that ...
Don't think any Dex VI is far from SHC synthetic ...

Looks like pennzoil platinum lv multi vehicle full syn is blessed by
GM DEXRON®-VI Approval (License No. J-60182)

And its about 5.50 bucks a quart.
Not bad at all. Base stock must be good too. Gtl ?

I think i will try this in the 6t45 tranny.

And i found that pp high mileage atf full syn is good for dex iii mercon v and honda z1 with visc. of about 7.2 at 100c. So that will go in old 2001 honda accord.

Last edited:
The flash points do catch my eye as all brands list them.
Then we have members above who have experienced black atf in 30k to 40k mile range.

So i dont know if the two are correlated. Shoul i look at boiling point
smile.gif
i just dont know.

Thanks for info on kendall. Looks good. Lil low on visc. at 5.9 but not too much. Will have to find out who sells them locally around 5 bucks a quart.

Incidentally mobil synthetic atf has flash point of 220c.
Mobil dexron vi "syn blend" has flash point of 220c.
Mobil multi veh syn blend has flash point of 180c.

Wonder if mobil dex vi is really a full synthetic or flash point listing is in error ?

The Mobil Dex VI came out as a semi - the original Mobil 1 ATF (not Dex VI) also has a high viscosity index - so thinking that's the one with more high end base oils ...
I used it a long time - but have nothing I can run it in now. There are several long term users of it on this site - I know a guy who pulls a large boat with an older 2500 Suburban and swears it keeps 5-10 degrees off his transmission ...
(He owns a mechanic shop).

Ok I'm a little confused, ,as in semi or straight syn Dex VI. What Im wondering is. I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 6.2l with the NHT package. I have a 6l80, trans it currently has Factory fill and filter which had never been changed. I want to do a pan drop filter change. What should I use to refill. A semi or full synthetic Dex VI atf. There will be fluid left in the tq convertor so that is my consern. I do like a atf that has a good or high flash point as I commonly see trans temp of 190 to 200 on hot days towing. I am leading towards Mobil 1 ATF. But it looks like they offer both semi and full.

Well i send a request to mobil to clarify re flash point of their dex vi.
The sds indicates > 185c and 30 to 40 percent gtl.

Pennzoil platinum lv dex vi approved is almost all gtl upto 90 percent.

The Mobil 1 is not Dex VI - if you have an O'R they carry Valvoline in synthetic - AZ carries Transmax in a semi - and so on. The flashpoint is in C - think your temp is F

Yes am aware of temps in C vs. F
smile.gif

I was looking at mobil dex vi. I realize it does not say mobil 1 dex vi.

Was wondering about flash point for mobil dex vi.

Who are you responding to - I was not responding to you - but the Chevy truck guy to make sure he stayed with Dex VI spec

Who are you responding to - I was not responding to you - but the Chevy truck guy to make sure he stayed with Dex VI spec

Sorry 4wd:)

Yes I am aware to stay with the Dex VI spec, so what is the factory fill, full or semi synthetic, and what is a top ATF that is Dex VI approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back