Dexos D alternative

We just purchased a new 2023 Suburban with the 3.0 Duramax, our first diesel. GM calls for 0W-20 Dexos D certified oil, which sadly, is in short supply. I'd like to find an alternative oil that I can be confident in and that's readily available. I've tried cross-referencing certifications that are on Dexos D oils (such as ACEA C5) with other oils that have those certifications, but even that seems to get tough to track; some Dexos D oils carry the C5 certification, while others carry the C6. My ignorance to diesels and particulate filters means I can't confidently infer the right alternatives. Maybe I'm overthinking this! My questions:

1. What's a good diesel/particulate filter friendly oil? If the C5 and C6 criteria applies, then I'm looking for low SAPS.
2. Is 0W-20 the right weight? Or do I go heavier or at least an oil that is heavier on the 0W-20 range? I cringe at milage "efficient" oils. I'm in always-hot Texas.
3. Can I somewhat confidently follow a more readily available certification (e.g. C5? Porsche? Dexos 1?)?

The Suburban is used for lots of in-town miles, hauling the family. If we will ever tow, it will be a small trailer.

Thanks!

Pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 is a common alternative with it's near equivalent diesel bmw ll-04 spec and it's a dual rated lower saps oil you can use in your sequoia as well. And yeah the 0w-20 is thin for a diesel engine that'll have more load and lower rpm's making hths more important. I'm sure it'll last the warranty but i doubt the engine will go 300k.

Pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 is a common alternative with it's near equivalent diesel bmw ll-04 spec and it's a dual rated lower saps oil you can use in your sequoia as well. And yeah the 0w-20 is thin for a diesel engine that'll have more load and lower rpm's making hths more important. I'm sure it'll last the warranty but i doubt the engine will go 300k.
Here it is. Dexos 2, suitable for light diesels.

AFC02608-7D8A-49E1-8B71-2E70F7FB82ED.png

Last edited:
Right now I believe DexosD only has 0W-20 oil in its certification list. But I would anticipate more viscosities options coming. For an alternative, I would probably use Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 or 5W-30. Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20 has the DexosD certification and I wouldn't anticipate the other viscosities in the Mobil ESP product to be too much different.

Rock Auto

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20

AC Delco

List of Dexos D oils
https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexosd/index.html

M1 ESP 0w-20 is readily available. For sure O'Reilly carries it - some stores stock it but some need to order it for next day. Just have to convince the person on the phone/in the store to look in the computer and that it isn't the same thing as regular M1 0w-20 LOL and price isn't great. But you can find this oil online too.

As pointed out above, I'd be pickier about HTHS than a specific viscosity. Approval/licensure is important for warranty purposes, no doubt.

OP, modern diesels are likely to give you headaches more along the emissions aftertreatment front than the actual motor. With the amount of choking going on, from the EGR to the DPF and further down into the SCR, those are the problem areas to be wary of.

Either way, congrats on the new beast and welcome, from one diesel owner to another diesel. :cool:

Any C5 or C6 should suffice. dexos2 can probably be used for dexosd. In fact, GM says dexosd is backward-compatible with dexos2 and will be replacing dexos2 in 2025.

I agree with the PP Euro L suggestion mentioned earlier.

Another suggestion would be Rotella T6 5w30

FWIW, you can get M1 ESP dexosd on Amazon. Napa also carries it, but at a higher price.

I know it’s probably not officially certified, but Amsoil does make an oil specifically for this specification.
Just an FYI.

Any C5 or C6 should suffice. dexos2 can probably be used for dexosd. In fact, GM says dexosd is backward-compatible with dexos2 and will be replacing dexos2 in 2025.

I agree with the PP Euro L suggestion mentioned earlier.

Another suggestion would be Rotella T6 5w30

FWIW, you can get M1 ESP dexosd on Amazon. Napa also carries it, but at a higher price.
Not sure how that will work with the 2.8 Duramax. Recommended viscosity for that engine is 5W30 not 0W20. Not unless GM releases a 5W30 Dexos D oil.

If you are looking for the Dexos D 0w20 it can be found at Walmart online. Mobil 1 esp x2 part #127706. If you purchase 2 jugs shipping is usually free. It sells out as quickly as they get it in. So even know it is out today it could be in any day. I have purchased it a couple different time in the last month to stock up for my new incoming AT4

Just as an FYI. Dexos D for diesel and Dexos R for gas is replacing Dexos 2 by 2025. The Dexos D is downward compatible but not the other way around. This is as least what I have read from GM website.

I'm interested in this thread as well, I just purchased a 2024 Silverado with the 3.0. When I hit 500 miles, I'm putting in Amsoil's 0W20 Diesel oil and using a Fram XG12447 filter. After watching some videos on YouTube of a C&P of the factory PF66, I definitely want to stay away from those.

Found a good video regarding the viscosity for the LM2/LZ0. Gale Banks chimed in as well in this video.

Last edited:
I’m also interested, we have a 2024 Suburban Duramax on order that should be here in a few months. I’ve been doing as much reading as I can on the different Dexos D oils.

Back