[Cut Open] Motorcraft FL500S - 5003 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by tig1
Here are pics of a MC filter with louvers having water run through it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4354960#Post4354960

Yep, those louvers are also formed well, so no surprises.

Try flowing water through louvers like these below and compare flow rates.

What's bad about nearly closed off louvers is that it can cause excessive delta-p across the filter, which in turn might cause the bypass valve to run open most of the time. Not a good way to run an oil filter.

Speculation, Ture however if they are completely closed. My long experience with Mc FL 910s filters that have louvers have been flawless.

Last edited:

What's bad about nearly closed off louvers is that it can cause excessive delta-p across the filter, which in turn might cause the bypass valve to run open most of the time. Not a good way to run an oil filter.

Speculation, True however if they are completely closed. My long experience with Mc FL 910s filters that have louvers have been flawless.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that nearly closed off louvers are going to increase the delta-p across the filter. Thye don't have to be totally closed off to cause more flow resistance. I'll only buy filters with well formed louvers so I don't have to wonder what's going on with the bypass valve. You can buy the left over bad filters left on the self.
grin2.gif

Speculation, True however if they are completely closed. My long experience with Mc FL 910s filters that have louvers have been flawless.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that nearly closed off louvers are going to increase the delta-p across the filter. Thye don't have to be totally closed off to cause more flow resistance. I'll only buy filters with well formed louvers so I don't have to wonder what's going on with the bypass valve. You can buy the left over bad filters left on the self.
grin2.gif

Baloney. Sort of. The filters that have louvers may very well provide more flow than holes by the shear number of louvers VS holes. Louvers or holes, the Mc FL910 filters are very good and have served my Ford engines for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles.
thankyou2.gif

It's not a hard concept to grasp ... less flow area means more delta-p. It's also not hard to grasp that well formed louvers are going to leave no question that the flow area is adequate, and they will not cause excessive delta-p that could cause much more bypass valve operation. I'm not going to "hope" there's adequate flow area if they are barely open just because of the number of louvers. Nobody has a "delta-p vs flow" bench testing system in their garage to verify where the louvers are bad or good ... so I just don't buy filters with nearly closed off louvers and there won't be any concern. I'd never buy a filter with the badly formed louvers like in the photos I posted earlier. If someone thinks they are "good enough", then go for it.
smile.gif

Speculation, Ture however if they are completely closed. My long experience with Mc FL 910s filters that have louvers have been flawless.

How would you know that the filter wasn't in bypass the entire time it was on the vehicle? I don't know how anyone can defend poorly formed louvers. People also defend the tearing media too so maybe I'm just unreasonable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
How would you know that the filter wasn't in bypass the entire time it was on the vehicle? I don't know how anyone can defend poorly formed louvers. People also defend the tearing media too so maybe I'm just unreasonable.

Torn media and a bypass valve open all the time is basically the same thing, so I guess that's their reasoning that closed louvers are nothing to worry about ... ??
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by hatt

Yes, you are unreasonable. With hundreds of thousands of miles using the MC FL910S with no tears and no engine wear noticeable, I would conclude that the MC filters were performing quite well.
thankyou2.gif

^^^ Plus "the junkyards are empty".
laugh.gif

That's sarcasm btw.
grin2.gif

[/quote]
How would you know that the filter wasn't in bypass the entire time it was on the vehicle? I don't know how anyone can defend poorly formed louvers. People also defend the tearing media too so maybe I'm just unreasonable.[/quote]
Who was defending poorly formed filters? I saw pics of
Perfectly opened louvers.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
[/quote]

Who was defending poorly formed filters? I saw pics of
Perfectly opened louvers. [/quote]
Did you read the thread? It has moved on from the original post. Of course those look great. Not all of them do. It's just something to look out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back