Cordless ratchet

I’ve got the m12 1/4” and the m12 3/8” fuel. If I were to do it again, I’d skip the fuel. it’s ergonomically too heavy for my hands.

I did wait years to get it as I have a whole lot of ryobi 18v tools. I waited for the ratchet for a long time, but finally gave up and bought the m12. A few months later, ryobi announced their ratchet. Lol.
I hate it when that happens.

I don't have a ratchet (yet) but hope to pick up one of these /www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-3-8-in-Ratchet-and-Screwdriver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-with-Battery-Charger-Tool-Bag-2401-21R/310446584?=&irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10451-483420-&clickid=Sv4zf%3A1RYxyIRp4QiQVp-wttUkGwQEzNywc92g0']combos[/URL]> before the deal ends.

View attachment 81355

Showing OOS for me

I use the Milwaukee M12 Fuel at work. At home I’ve got my Earthquake one from Harbor Freight which was my work one till I got the Milwaukee. It’s good for the money. I’d use either one with no issues.

Last edited:
m12 non fuel. you dont need the extra power since you use it as ratchet.. and it fits better ie smaller profile.
Another vote for the smaller head version. Unless your a professional wrench puller you don’t need the big bulky head version and the smaller one is much handier.

I just purchased the m12 milwaukee ratchet. Its got brushes but was only 99 bucks. With charger and one small battery. Used it yesterday and liked it

I believe DeWalt is about to release a new one; not sure if that matters to you.

I have the Milwaukee Fuel M12 "high speed" version. I like it a lot, but I wish I would have gotten the slower "extended reach" version. It gets into a lot more places.

I like the triggers on the Snap On a lot better though, but I'm not paying that much for a ratchet. The DeWalt has a snap on style trigger, and looks really interesting with a smaller Ah battery.

Any recommendations for a DIY'er cordless ratchet that will hold up to occasional (and sometimes heavy) use without breaking the bank? Seems like M12 is the go-to but you sure do pay for it.
Id say it depends if you are already in a battery platform. Ive got all Ryobi stuff, so I have the Ryobi ratchet. I find that it works just fine for occasional hard use, although its not super powerful. Its not an impact ratchet though, so thats to be expected.
I dont know that I would spend the money for a Milwaukee for occasional use and if I werent already in the M12 batteries. Id go something like Ryobi, Kobalt or Craftsman.

I don't have a ratchet (yet) but hope to pick up one of these /www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-3-8-in-Ratchet-and-Screwdriver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-with-Battery-Charger-Tool-Bag-2401-21R/310446584?=&irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10451-483420-&clickid=Sv4zf%3A1RYxyIRp4QiQVp-wttUkGwQEzNywc92g0']combos[/URL]> before the deal ends.

View attachment 81355
I got my M12 ratchet on a very similar deal; just had the M12 impact driver in place of the screwdriver, for the same price. That was probably 3-4 years ago.

Never a moment's regret on that purchase.

up until recently you could just buy a bundle at home depot and return the rest and get it for like 50 bucks. this isn’t a horrible deal though

My son bought this and it works great. He also uses the M12 battery in a heated sweatshirt that he wears when working outside. I hae heard from others that the Fuel version isn't really worth the extra money as others have already indicated.

FWIW Dewalt is supposed to be coming out with one sometime, but who knows when? My son and I have a lot of the Dewalt 20V tools and they are great.

I too am happy with my 2457-20, already had a couple M12 tools with batts and chargers as well as heated hoodie, thus bought bare tool ratchet when it was on sale. It does get some use but not enough and not too heavy duty to justify Fuel version.

I recently bought the regular Milwuakee M12 that came in a kit with a work light, multimeter, charger and two batteries for $199 on sale. I've already used it a couple of times and it has worked great so far.

For a DIYer, I personally think the right angle impact wrenches are more versatile. The head is fatter but it gives you 220 ft lbs of available torque to back off those awkwardly placed fasteners.

I've got the Milwaukee brushed 1/4", brushed 3/8" and extended reach Fuel 3/8"

For whatever reason virtually the only one I ever reach for is the extended reach Fuel. It affords more leverage and is more powerful. Of course this is mostly under-car or engine bay work. Under the dash I might use the brushed 1/4" but honestly I'm more likely to use a compact impact driver to remove under-dash fasteners and a roto head ratchet to reinstall "manually" for the feel

I recently bought the regular Milwuakee M12 that came in a kit with a work light, multimeter, charger and two batteries for $199 on sale. I've already used it a couple of times and it has worked great so far.
That's what I bought a few years ago. No need for the fuel, the base ratchet is a good one.

Liked it so much, I bought the 1/4" drive bare tool. Now I have both. Use them and the worklight all the time.

That's what I bought a few years ago. No need for the fuel, the base ratchet is a good one.

Liked it so much, I bought the 1/4" drive bare tool. Now I have both. Use them and the worklight all the time.
I will probably buy the 1/4" drive bare tool as well for smaller areas.

I also have the Earthquake one from Harbor Freight, works great, and for those places you can't use it, the time and energy you've saved using it makes the occasional manual methods a little more tolerable, and for that I'd say most any of them will do adequately. As for when my Earthquake quits, I'd likely find one with the smaller dimensions, and the extended reach might be a high consideration too. And many times I have to loosen the faster first, to which the Earthquake can also be used manually to get the fastener loose. The earlier Amazon linked ratchet looks similar enough to the Earthquake and halfway down that page in the comparisons, the AC Delco is very similar too.

I'll add in that for me, it seems good for snugging fasteners without over-tightening and twisting them off, which I don't even like using my smaller inexpensive inch pound torque wrenches where small fasteners and aluminum alloys are involved. I usually snug them and double check with a 1/4 inch ratchet, but it never seems I want to go any tighter and I've started using the low strength Permatex Purple Threadlocker to have some assurance the fasteners won't back out, which I found fasteners might and have loosened over time. The usual disclaimer of 'your results may vary' applies here.

If you're a Makita man (or looking to get into a system) both the 12v and 18v ratchets have 1/4" and 3/8" heads you can swap out, sorta get two tools in one.

jeff

I will probably buy the 1/4" drive bare tool as well for smaller areas.
Per the last time I looked into it, the 1/4" and 3/8" are 100% identical other than the size of the drive. No size advantage other than losing the length of the 1/4" adapter you'd need with the 3/8" ratchet.

Per the last time I looked into it, the 1/4" and 3/8" are 100% identical other than the size of the drive. No size advantage other than losing the length of the 1/4" adapter you'd need with the 3/8" ratchet.
Thanks for the info. I have plenty of 1/4" adapters so I will just use one of those.

Back