A case for cordless tools

D60

In a recent thread started by @GON about cordless tools, @Ihatetochangeoil pointed out something I've long agreed with: cordless tools can -- in some situations-- make for a less cluttered and thus safer jobsite.

I've also long argued that even if cordless tools cost more -- either up front or in the long run OR BOTH -- if they allow me to be more productive and thus complete more billable work, they can actually cost less.

This will not hold true for everyone and doesn't so much apply to homeowners or weekend warriors. The point is that before you complain about cordless tool cost or batteries or eventual obsolescence or whatever else, just consider that they might make sense for others.

That said, I don't need to convince YOU. I know I make more $ with cordless tools.

I recently completed a job of putting holes in electrical enclosure cabinets. Below is what I used on EVERY cabinet. There are 8 drills here (every one retrofitted with a Rohm chuck), one impact driver, one belt file and one 3" cutoff tool.

If I had 11 separate cords running to my tool cart it would be a maddening experience
20230724_173933.jpg

My cordless tools save me time.

They’re better than the set of pneumatic tools that they replaced because there is no hose to clutter up the space, drag across body panels, or get stuck under a creeper wheel.

In a recent thread started by @GON about cordless tools, @Ihatetochangeoil pointed out something I've long agreed with: cordless tools can -- in some situations-- make for a less cluttered and thus safer jobsite.

I've also long argued that even if cordless tools cost more -- either up front or in the long run OR BOTH -- if they allow me to be more productive and thus complete more billable work, they can actually cost less.

This will not hold true for everyone and doesn't so much apply to homeowners or weekend warriors. The point is that before you complain about cordless tool cost or batteries or eventual obsolescence or whatever else, just consider that they might make sense for others.

That said, I don't need to convince YOU. I know I make more $ with cordless tools.

I recently completed a job of putting holes in electrical enclosure cabinets. Below is what I used on EVERY cabinet. There are 8 drills here (every one retrofitted with a Rohm chuck), one impact driver, one belt file and one 3" cutoff tool.

If I had 11 separate cords running to my tool cart it would be a maddening experience View attachment 168892
Price versus cost. It applies in various situations. In trucking, because of the variations in fuel tax in adjacent states, it is sometimes lower cost to buy the higher priced fuel across the state line. Price is just a number on a tag or sign, cost is the total expenditure to obtain and use the product.

Cordless tools and MityVac are timesavers. Last week I cleaned and lubed the front brakes on our 2006 TSX.
The 1/2 Makita for the lugs and the 3/8 Makita for the caliper fasteners. Apart in no time and no sweat. Easy peasey.

I bought my first ever cordless Sawzall and went with the Milwaukee M18 top of the line model. It’s amazing how many more uses I’m finding now that I’m not tethered to the wall.

I bought my first ever cordless Sawzall and went with the Milwaukee M18 top of the line model. It’s amazing how many more uses I’m finding now that I’m not tethered to the wall.
heck, the Black and Decker model I bought for Dad* several years back has paid for itself in time saved, and it's mainly used in tree trimming...
He already had several other B&D power tools (a Couple Drills, Weed Whacker, small Blower), and they all use the same batteries... it was easier to just keep everything in the same "family" as it were....

*late 70's, Heart problems, and Parkinsons. he was still climbing ladders with hand saws to trim his Fruit trees, and some pines around the property.

If I had 11 separate cords running to my tool cart it would be a maddening experience View attachment 168892
Obviously one would use the tool that suits the job and makes it most efficient. Whether you have one or two cordless or a dozen+ like you have pictured doesn't really matter. It depends on the job and what you do for a living, how much you have to spend on tools, how quick you need the job done, and a bunch of other variables. Common sense I believe? Clearly 11 cords strung throughout the work area would make no sense and is a safety hazard. Most using AC electric tools would just take the 5 seconds and move the plug to the next tool.

What is the point of this thread exactly? It reads like someone that wants to show off their tools, or get an atta-boy and "likes". I'll go ahead and give you a like since this post made me grin.

15 years ago I was 80/20 corded.

Now I'm 80/20 battery.

The boat shop ratio was the same even with unlimited air.

15 years ago I was 80/20 corded.

Now I'm 80/20 battery.

The boat shop ratio was the same even with unlimited air.
Ditto. Of course in the past ~15 years cordless has improved dramatically and/or improvements have allowed the depth and breadth of cordless tool selection to improve, ie 12" miter saws, 7.25" circulars.....I've even got the 8" metal cutting circular and 7" angle grinder

I don't even air up tires with a compressor any more.

Thats one areas Im still old school - especially off-roading and an RV.

Ive done it with a nice VIAIR and it's ok- for a pumping up a tire, but bring 4 back to 34 lb from 14 is a long haul.

I carry staun tire deflators - you screw them in and walk away and they stop at 14, a honda 2K and a small makita air compressor and a device called a quadflate - you connect it to all 4 tires and walk away.

Clearly 11 cords strung throughout the work area would make no sense and is a safety hazard. Most using AC electric tools would just take the 5 seconds and move the plug to the next tool.

What is the point of this thread exactly? It reads like someone that wants to show off their tools, or get an atta-boy and "likes". I'll go ahead and give you a like since this post made me grin.

My thoughts exactly.

I have corded tools, air tools, and cordless. I have multiple cordless tools from various brands based upon what I thought was best in class at the time. I’m not sold on any single one.

I’ve not found cords or air hoses to be a big deal in the big scheme of things, other than when length limited. Occasionally routing is a pain as I’m sensitive to not allow them to rub the paint of the vehicle, so a deliberate routing is important.

Cordless definitely has its place and has gotten to the point where it can be used for most jobs, sometimes outperforming corded too. There are cases where corded still dominates IMO, even if the cordless are quite good.

In this instance I had made a custom jig on the mill which got clamped to the side of each box. Both left and right sides received holes. Sometimes the same, sometimes different (multiple jigs).

The work flow was roughly:
1) clamp jig to appropriate side
2) grab drill #1. Drill a single hole
3) grab drill #2. Drill three holes
4) grab drill #3. Drill a single hole.
Eventually two different size c-sinks would be used to debur some holes, while the belt file handled larger ones

and so on.

Flip box to opposing side and repeat.

Plugging and unplugging cords every 5 seconds would be....amusing. :D

In this instance I had made a custom jig on the mill which got clamped to the side of each box. Both left and right sides received holes. Sometimes the same, sometimes different (multiple jigs).

The work flow was roughly:
1) clamp jig to appropriate side
2) grab drill #1. Drill a single hole
3) grab drill #2. Drill three holes
4) grab drill #3. Drill a single hole.
Eventually two different size c-sinks would be used to debur some holes, while the belt file handled larger ones

and so on.

Flip box to opposing side and repeat.

Plugging and unplugging cords every 5 seconds would be....amusing. :D

Thats if you have job site power.

Other wise add a genset and a 3-4 prong breakout and enough cord to make it across the job site, up to the second floor

I look at cordless as just another tool in the box to get the job done not as a replacement, sometimes they are and sometimes not depending on what you want to do with it.

How did I not know about the 12v belt file?

Time to do some shopping…
We keep a second one in the house -- but in the smaller 3/8 x 13" flavor -- for filing down the dog's nails. He much prefers it to clipping.

If you get one for metalworking I reco only Cubitron belts.

I just used it the other night to clean up the bore in the Al knuckle of a new Cherokee where the strut lives. The tire shop who did the job before me beat the strut out with a BFH and built up a HUGE bur where their aim was....poor.

That said, for just occasional use you can get a Wen corded for ~$30 on Amazon. Much less expensive than the M12.

You can also find kits (ebay, Etsy) to convert the 3" cutoff tool, but those were born of necessity before Milwaukee offered the tool themselves and are mostly obsolete now

Safety wise, I was always irritated that on jobsites, others would run their contractor tablesaws/ compressors on old frayed 14 or 16 awg cords with heavly oxidized contacts, dragged along the floor. Several times a day.

The workers who did not own the cables, treated the cords and tools, even worse, and would take forver to untangle the cables in the morning and re tangle them in the afternoon.

THE very frustated boss often tasked me with replacing cord ends, or fried outlets, because of horrilbe cord management practices, and I would bite the heads off others trying to treat my cables they way they would treat theirs, or the bosses'.

This frustrated me, having to stop my own task, so I started using stainless wire wheels on dremel to make male contacts shine, and female receptacles would get a squirt of Deoxit D5 as preventative cord end maintenance.

Back