Convince me not to look at a 2006 Cadillac DTS

Many years ago I was on the fence about a Cadillac. The 1995 Fleetwood Brougham I bought for $1800 from a dealer didn’t have the Northstar, but a reliable (mostly) Chevy LT1 5.7 V8.

I drove that car for about 8 years, fixing not engine concerns (except for the OptiSpark once) but electrical and interior items.

And forget about, in my case, finding the correct tires for a massive beast like that. P235/70R15 with whitewall aren’t common any more except on this car and Rolls Royce. So it is a search for a similar, usable size. A Fleetwood is one huge heavy cruiser. 😁

But - I miss that car still, 6 years after selling it to a guy in Los Angeles. I would be tempted by this DTS myself. 😎

I had a very low mileage 1999 with the Northstar engine. It leaked a little oil and I talked to an insurance buddy of mine who drove them all the time. He said they all leak oil. There are some really good buys out there on those cars because they really are not in high demand. Now it it was a Crown Vic..........

4.6 engine doesn’t have thread pulling issues but they still can have dramatic leaks from the bedplate. other than that pretty good engines

Last edited:
I had a very low mileage 1999 with the Northstar engine. It leaked a little oil and I talked to an insurance buddy of mine who drove them all the time. He said they all leak oil. There are some really good buys out there on those cars because they really are not in high demand. Now it it was a Crown Vic..........
I had a '99 STS and a 2008 DTS, neither ever leaked a drop of oil.
I wonder if the OP ever bought a Caddy 12 years ago?

Recently got a message from a fellow in Sweden that found a 1997 Eldorado, with 40 miles on it!

I had a '99 STS and a 2008 DTS, neither ever leaked a drop of oil.
I wonder if the OP ever bought a Caddy 12 years ago?

Recently got a message from a fellow in Sweden that found a 1997 Eldorado, with 40 miles on it!
Yes I also wonder if he bought it. A 97 Eldorado would be a sweet ride. I like those Caddies if you can buy them inexpensively.

If your asking about me, no... I haven't looked at the car yet. Kind of waffling on what I want to do right now. Also, along those lines, a '11 came on the market; so if I was to move in this direction, I'd look at the '11.

i currently have an 03 deville. great car and reliable. very enjoyable to drive. Can red line it for hours. temp gauge has only gone 1 bar above the half way point once when screaming up one of the steepest inclines in the state. Currently seeking the right 2011 as I'd like a newer one.
yes every northstar leaks oil...and patching any leak they would have will cost you. any serious engine work is pricey as hell....thankfully I've had none. i recommend looking up head gasket repair, oil pan reseal, upper oil pan reseal, rear.main seal replacement, and.half case seal. if you're comfortable spending thousands on an engine that is definetly worthy ....then go for it.
change the coolant and t stat every other year one thing i dont like is that the tranny has a "lifetime: filter that can only be changed on complete teardown.
also....i hate to put this out there but racial profiling is a real thing with these cars. i own 4 different cars and between my wife and i, we have been pulled over 8 to 10 times in the last couple of years.....all in the cadillac. 0 times in other vehicles even if speeding or driving with expired tags......i get followed a lot too. when i roll down the window and put an arm out with a cigarette or something to show that I'm white....the following stops abruptly. I never believed it was a real thing until i bought this car.....reel cop magnet.....kinda died down since the whole defund the police movement started.....but we still get followed home bi weekly....mostly at night....always in town by local police.

Back