Convince me not to look at a 2006 Cadillac DTS

So, I've done the requisite reading on the head bolt redesign (04?).

This particular DTS has 70k on it. Educate me on the good/bad/ugly.....

My Dad has a low mileage 06 DTS roughly the same as the one you're looking at. Its the definition of a Sunday car for him. Its a nice ride and his hasn't given him any real problems in the 10 or so years he's owned it. Has original belts, hoses and sigh.. dexcool.. I've been telling him to change the coolant out since he got it as I fear for his headgaskets.. but for the time being it keeps carrying on. There is no drain on the rad and I pulled the lower hose once and then topped it off, but not that much coolant actually came out for whatever reason. Its a nice riding car down the interstate and gets fairly good MPG's.

Things JUNK! The so-called head bolt update was less head bolt tq. They still blow head gaskets because the threads pull out the block. Have to drop the engine and transmission out the bottom as it can't be fixed in the car.

The ac blower also requires that the engine be dropped to replace it.

The engine requires stop leak in the coolant to keep the coolant out of the oil pan. It seeps past the cylinder liners and the block.

Things JUNK! The so-called head bolt update was less head bolt tq. They still blow head gaskets because the threads pull out the block. Have to drop the engine and transmission out the bottom as it can't be fixed in the car.

The engine requires stop leak in the coolant to keep the coolant out of the oil pan. It seeps past the cylinder liners and the block.

They got a fix for that. :)

You're thinking of the 4100/4500/4900 engines with wet liners, Northstar's have cast-in cylinder liners.

A '06 DTS has the blower motor inside the cabin.

How much? They're a really nice car, my parents had one, pearl white. Drove like a dream, lots of power, decent fuel mileage, and never gave them a lick of trouble except for the deer seemed to love jumping in front of it. Oh, and tire shops loved breaking the tabs on the center caps, I had to buy a few of them off eBay for them. Dad just started removing them himself before dropping it off

My grandma had an '08 back in the day
Real classy ride, spokes and Vogues, Landau top 🤌

I believe most of the Head Gasket problems had been sorted out by then, but it's still a 2000s GM product

Blend door actuators, fuel pumps, rotors warping, wheel hub/bearings, etc
The 4T80E was beefier than the other mediocre units of the time, but with 300 lb.ft of torque, it needs to be kept up with

Condition and price are the big decider here
Is it a Lux I/II/III or a Performance?

The bone yards have a sea of them to choose from. You have that going for you.
That was my thought also. The pull a parts are full of them, not from collision or neglect, but a failed Northstar.Many of the pull a part DTSs are the best looking vehicles in the yard. I would love a DTS, just not willing the risk associated with the Northstar. I also love the 2004/2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP with the Northstar. About zero of the GXPs made it past 100k miles without the Northstar failing.

I just looked at the numbers on KBB. Dealer is way off, so this thread can be d/c'd

In fact, there are several in the area with similar miles, and they aren't even close to KBB dealer #s

The joys of having the starter located under the intake manifold....

Where it stays clean, dry, and safe from rodents.

I've had to replace exactly ONE starter in a N*, and that turned out to be nothing more than a loose B+ cable.

None of that is true.

All wrong.

Hidden value. Good cars for the age/money. Doesn't get much better for a large sedan. Interior is cavernous, especially the back seat. Depending on trim, lots of comfort options like cooled front seats, heated from AND rear seats, massaging seats, heated steering wheel, etc. Ride is superb, performance is ok. One of the best road trip vehicles out there.

From a reliability standpoint, these were well sorted out by the 2006+ generation, and the common issues they have are minor. My experience with them matches their stellar reputation. If it seems cared for and has no current issues, it'll probably be a great ride.

Lots of hearsay out there because of Northstar association. I challenge you to find an unhappy 2006+ DTS owner. When it comes to this car, those who know, know.

Last edited:
Back