Comcast speed doubled?

i have been paying for 100mps from comcast. did a speed test today and its at 200 mps . i know they double the speed every once in a while . Have you seen a speed increase?

I wish they’d increase mine… already pay them an extra $30/month for the privilege of “unlimited” internet the least they can do is give me a speed bump.

1664688152896.png

They haven't increased the speed on the 900/20 tier in the Central region it appears, still testing at 900/20 with the normal 20% overprovisioning.

Comcast continuing to bump speeds up for 'free' kinda makes me laugh. They know that most devices are wifi connected and very few are wired ethernet. Real world throughput for most wifi, because of interference, attenuation, and distance, is probably around 100-200Mb/s at the most. They could give most people a 1Tb/s connection and they could never use more than 100-200Mb/s. Great marketing though.

I would be happier if they could give me a month or two straight without the amplifier behind my house not needing to be rebalanced. For some reason it keeps maxing the transmit power from the amp to the CMTS and the whole segment experiences 15-20% packet loss. When I talk to the tech that comes out to work on it, he says he wishes he could just replace it, so do I.

Comcast "customer service" makes me see red. They have their IVR so well tuned that it's impossible to get out of it and talk to a human.

Nice.

The best one they did for me was not the 100Mbps additional to 300 Mbps but the 5 Mbps upload to 10 Mbps upload. That was beyond noticeable.

I have had 5mbps since 2001 on Xfinity plan tier and the only the download has rapidly increased.

I don’t mind Xfinity because service beyond reliable here and been working from home near 100% since 2003.

I don’t mind Xfinity because service beyond reliable here and been working from home near 100% since 2003.

Almost all of my Xfinity outages in the last 2 years have been due to cable dig-ups (some caused by Verizon contractors...) and car accidents.

One car accident took out a fiber cable somewhere in Manassas, about 8 miles from here.

That was a 14-hour outage and my Sprint phone data didn't work either...Sprint's data connection to the tower here runs (or did run) on that same cable!

I'm just waiting for someone to crash into the box with the node in it. For some reason, it's less than 5 feet off the edge of the pavement of a 2-lane road which gets a lot of traffic. They COULD have put it around the corner on a road which gets far less traffic.

Almost all of my Xfinity outages in the last 2 years have been due to cable dig-ups (some caused by Verizon contractors...) and car accidents.

One car accident took out a fiber cable somewhere in Manassas, about 8 miles from here.

That was a 14-hour outage and my Sprint phone data didn't work either...Sprint's data connection to the tower here runs (or did run) on that same cable!

I'm just waiting for someone to crash into the box with the node in it. For some reason, it's less than 5 feet off the edge of the pavement of a 2-lane road which gets a lot of traffic. They COULD have put it around the corner on a road which gets far less traffic.
My neighbor has a business tier level of Xfinity internet and technician mention he paid in the $250+ range / month for bandwidth and availability. I think it helps me :)

Yeah, I think they are all bumping up speeds.
Just over a year ago Spectrum was 100 mbps at our house, than 200 Mbps and now in the last month 300 Mbps.
Doesnt matter much to me as I dont game and 200 is way more than enough, its a way to protect their profits and customer base because its not cheap but they wont allow lower speed at a lower price anymore, at least not here.

I just got this today. Still waiting for my better experience.

Good News!​

We’ve increased your​

internet download speeds​

We're excited to share that we increased your download
speeds on your current Xfinity Internet package[/B] from
up to 600 mbps to up to 800 mbps. Faster internet
speeds help to give you a better experience as you work,
learn, game, and stream from home.

You should notice these speeds this month. To take advantage of your new speeds today, restart your cable modem. It's that easy!

Thank you for being an Xfinity customer.

Yeah, I think they are all bumping up speeds.
Just over a year ago Spectrum was 100 mbps at our house, than 200 Mbps and now in the last month 300 Mbps.
Doesnt matter much to me as I dont game and 200 is way more than enough, its a way to protect their profits and customer base because its not cheap but they wont allow lower speed at a lower price anymore, at least not here.
Gaming really doesn't take a lot of bandwidth. It is more about ping speeds and latency. Most would be better off with a properly configured business grade router setup than more bandwidth. The increased speed will help raw download speed.

Gaming really doesn't take a lot of bandwidth. It is more about ping speeds and latency. Most would be better off with a properly configured business grade router setup than more bandwidth. The increased speed will help raw download speed.
Yep. Used to game on a 5mbps connection while also using teamspeak with my buddies, it was more than adequate for that…. Miserable for downloading games or updates though lol.

Something that has decent QoS seems far more important, noticed I was getting lag spikes whenever someone would start streaming something to a TV. Got a new router and got my loaded latency down from 1,100+ down into the low 100’s and it made a world of difference.

Yep. Used to game on a 5mbps connection while also using teamspeak with my buddies, it was more than adequate for that…. Miserable for downloading games or updates though lol.

Something that has decent QoS seems far more important, noticed I was getting lag spikes whenever someone would start streaming something to a TV. Got a new router and got my loaded latency down from 1,100+ down into the low 100’s and it made a world of difference.
I only have 80/10 Mbps and it works great for everything. I have an Untangle router with 2 WIFI access points. QOS setup properly makes a huge difference. I have DirectStream so all TV is streamed. I can have multiple people watching streaming video, streaming music, and work from home (Teams, VPN, etc), and gaming when the kids are around and nothing misses a beat. Almost everything is wired ethernet except for phones/iPads and a couple Yamaha MusicCast speakers. More bandwidth is good if you can get it for free, but in most cases people have way more bandwidth than they need.

Finally, I waited 4 years for them to get to our community and we just got notice they are going to start burying fiber in our community.
This is our electric co-op that offers internet and its a great deal, people LOVE canceling Spectrum once they get it in their community.
Only one problem, we are moving in 3 weeks ;) that is 350 both ways. Not like spectrums claimed 300 download and only 12 up/
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 11.02.52 AM.jpg

Finally, I waited 4 years for them to get to our community and we just got notice they are going to start burying fiber in our community.
This is our electric co-op that offers internet and its a great deal, people LOVE canceling Spectrum once they get it in their community.
Only one problem, we are moving in 3 weeks ;) that is 350 both ways. Not like spectrums claimed 300 download and only 12 up/
View attachment 123220
Looks like a great price if it isn't a bait and switch or they tack $50 in fees and taxes on top of the price like a lot do.

Back