Cold weather oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
My choice:

Going by your pour point chart 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, or 0W40 have the same pour point. So in theory, there's no benefit in cold weather starting right down to -50F, using that chart as a guide. And no point in these discussions.
wink.gif

As an Amsoil user I chose the best rated for cold weather based on the information I have on it. That would be the 0w20.

The OP asked:

Quote:
So, what would you folks say is a good cold weather motor oil? M1 0w20, 0w40 or 5w20. Just asking is all

21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Except pour point only tells you how easily it gets out of the bottle if you are doing an oil change at -50C

It got dropped as a predictor of actual engine oil performance decades ago.

It's a "Somewhat" indicator of pumping ability. Not exact but the lower the pour point is the pumping ability will also be better.

I was never suggesting that it was the same thing but there is a somewhat correlation is all.
wink.gif

MRV is the test for pumping, that's why it exists. The two tests that quite literally define cold temperature performance: CCS and MRV, were developed for that purpose. This was because it was found pour point had very poor correlation with actual in-service use.

There are very, very, very few BITOGers that actually live in a place that really "needs" the benefits of a premium syn lube for cold weather. Very few; despite all the BITOG fear mongering.

If you don't live where it ROUTINELY gets uber-stupid-cold (-20F on a daily basis), you're diluting yourself with unfounded bias. Where I live, it once got down to -37F. I had to go to work that day. The truck moaned and groaned a bit until it warmed up fully. But after a few days that cold snap was over, and everything was fine. Never had an engine problem in the many years AFTER that frigid exposure. The "normal" low in my area is +18. It will get down to 0F every single year where I live, a few days intermittently throughout the winter season.
For reference, I run dino 5w-20 and 5w-30 in various gas engines, and every year my UOAs (season to season) show no ill effects of the "cold" or "heat".

If your daily average low is -10F or lower, you can at least start to consider if syns are appropriate for your area. If not, then just get over yourself and worry about something else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
There are very, very, very few BITOGers that actually live in a place that really "needs" the benefits of a premium syn lube for cold weather. Very few; despite all the BITOG fear mongering.

If you don't live where it ROUTINELY gets uber-stupid-cold (-20F on a daily basis), you're diluting yourself with unfounded bias. Where I live, it once got down to -37F. I had to go to work that day. The truck moaned and groaned a bit until it warmed up fully. But after a few days that cold snap was over, and everything was fine. Never had an engine problem in the many years AFTER that frigid exposure. The "normal" low in my area is +18. It will get down to 0F every single year where I live, a few days intermittently throughout the winter season.
For reference, I run dino 5w-20 and 5w-30 in various gas engines, and every year my UOAs (season to season) show no ill effects of the "cold" or "heat".

If your daily average low is -10F or lower, you can at least start to consider if syns are appropriate for your area. If not, then just get over yourself and worry about something else.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My choice:

Going by your pour point chart 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, or 0W40 have the same pour point. So in theory, there's no benefit in cold weather starting right down to -50F, using that chart as a guide. And no point in these discussions.
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif
You noticed that too, demarpaint. If one goes by the pour point in that chart, there is no real differentiation amongst the oils you mentioned, lol.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
My choice:

wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif
You noticed that too, demarpaint. If one goes by the pour point in that chart, there is no real differentiation amongst the oils you mentioned, lol.

I had my C and F mixed up, but you got the point.
thumbsup2.gif
The chart if correct as written is meaningless for the grades I listed in cold weather on most parts of the planet. Or use any of the oils I mentioned and sleep well in the cold.
wink.gif

My choice:

wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Pour point is just not a good way to judge the cold performance of oil in an engine...Amsoil was nice enough to provide CCS test data in that table and we can't even bother to read it??? I wish they gave us MRV, too, but having CCS is great compared to the big nothing that most PDS give us.
The Amsoil 5W30 has a somewhat lower CCS viscosity at -30C than the 10W30 has at -25C...from my American point of view, the 5W30 extends the starting range down by 9-10F compared to the 10W30. Normally an oil will about double in viscosity for every drop of 5C at these low temps, so you can also roughly think of the 5W30 as having half the viscosity of the 10W30 at extreme cold.
Looking at the 0W30 compared to the 5W30, we could expect the latter to have a CCS viscosity of about 2X(3968cP)=7936cP at -35C using the rule of thumb given above...this would fail the 0WXX CCS requirement (as it should given that this is a 5WXX) and is also 48% high than the 0W30's 5372cP at -35C. This is despite the oils having the same pour point.
What's the cost of using the 0W30 compared to the 5W30? Well, the 5W30 has a 2.1% lower NOACK loss (absolute, not relative) going by Amsoil's results and also has a slightly higher HTHS...if you're in an area that's never going to see -35C barring the Earth going off its axis, you could argue that the 0W30 buys you nothing positive and possibly gives you less high temp protection and a higher danger of engine deposits. Similarly with comparing the 10W30 to the 5W30, the former has a really outstandingly low NOACK loss (same HTHS, though) and that might be worth something to you if you're just not going to be in cold environments.

I know we sometimes look at pour points when the manufacturers give us no other cold data, but the correlation of it to actual cold performance seems to be pretty terrible. We have CCS results here, so why even mention pour points? Good luck to you if you think that 10W30 is really going to start in your vehicle at -47C...

Last edited:
^^^ You need to go back and reread my post and demarpaint's post. Our replies were to StevieC's post ... he's the one who brought up pour point. I was being a little sarcastic because I know very well that pour point data is not really that helpful. And who said anything about 10W-30 ... I know I didn't. By the way, I won't be needing any luck because I don't think I will ever have to worry about starting my car at -47 degrees C in Virginia.

And as dnewton3 said in his post, "There are very, very, very few BITOGers that actually live in a place that really "needs" the benefits of a premium syn lube for cold weather. Very few; despite all the BITOG fear mongering."

I just use the engine block heater now during winter time in Toronto. The engine love it and me too.

Just plug in with a timer heating up engine for about four hours and you good to go.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
What next?
Oil just for Spring, Summer, Fall,Winter?
Folks need to get a grip.

That is why I run three sets of tires spring/fall, summer and winter. To "get a grip".
smile.gif

^^^ You need to go back and reread my post and demarpaint's post. Our replies were to StevieC's post ... he's the one who brought up pour point. I was being a little sarcastic because I know very well that pour point data is not really that helpful. And who said anything about 10W-30 ... I know I didn't. By the way, I won't be needing any luck because I don't think I will ever have to worry about starting my car at -47 degrees C in Virginia.

And as dnewton3 said in his post, "There are very, very, very few BITOGers that actually live in a place that really "needs" the benefits of a premium syn lube for cold weather. Very few; despite all the BITOG fear mongering."

Well said, thanks! That was the point I was trying to make, admittedly I did screw up the F and C which didn't really matter much to the point I was making.

Virtus broght up some good points re: 0W30. I made the change a few years ago from 0W20 and 0W30 in my fleet to 5w30 across the board. Part of the reasoning was nicely stated in Virtus's post. My climate doesn't get cold enough to matter, and if it does I'm covered with block heaters and oil pan heaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back