0w20 vs 5w20 for high mileage engine

I have the 2.4 gdi engine and it gets noisy at cold starts especially now in this winter weather (0 deg celsius to -10deg celsius) . I normally use 5w20 engine oil that is required for the engine.

I have been to many groups, threads, and posts regarding their oil shift from 5w20 to 0w20 and I found out that it helped especially in the winter season.

Question is... will the 0w20 oil still be safe for my high mileage (200,000kms) engine ? im worried that it would be too light for the engine and would cause more damage.

Last edited:
I doubt it matters much, the noise might be the result of valve stem deposits. I would do an air-intake service and see if that helps....

I believe it will be just fine with either the 5w20 or the 0w20. I would feel better with the 0w20 in colder weather.
my engine is 12 years old with 200,000 kms on it. Will it still be safe? And will it be okay to mix a quart of lucas stabilizer with the 0w20?

Yes you will be safe but I don't know if I would even mess with a stabilizer. Your engine doesn't know it has 200,000 kms on it. It's like telling a 40 year old lady she's 30 hahaha. Honestly, I think you will be fine with either oil and I don't ever use those stabilizers.

my engine is 12 years old with 200,000 kms on it. Will it still be safe? And will it be okay to mix a quart of lucas stabilizer with the 0w20?
Don't use the Lucas. That's going to have the opposite effect of what you're going for here. It will thicker the oil and cause it to flow through the engine during cold starts more slowly than oil alone.

Yes you will be safe but I don't know if I would even mess with a stabilizer. Your engine doesn't know it has 200,000 kms on it. It's like telling a 40 year old lady she's 30 hahaha. Honestly, I think you will be fine with either oil and I don't ever use those stabilizers.
Lol. Ok thanks. Will try 0w20 tomorrow :p i will update you

I have the 2.4 gdi engine and it gets noisy at cold starts especially now in this winter weather (0 deg celsius to -10deg celsius) . I normally use 5w20 engine oil that is required for the engine.

I have been to many groups, threads, and posts regarding their oil shift from 5w20 to 0w20 and I found out that it helped especially in the winter season.

Question is... will the 0w20 oil still be safe for my high mileage (200,000kms) engine ? im worried that it would be too light for the engine and would cause more damage.
What vehicle do you have? (Kia, Hyundai )
My wife's Equinox has a 2.4, and it specs 5W-30.

There is virtually no difference between 0w20 and 5w20 at -10 Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit)
The difference won’t be seen till you get to -20 Celsius or lower. I think you have other issues that the cold is just highlighting.

Back