Clutch alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: propuckstopper
To get pilot bearings out, I actually use Play-Doh rather than grease. Much cleaner.

And cheaper! That is actually a great idea. Now I have an excuse to bring playdough to work.
grin.gif

Bread works well too!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Trav
Not unless you have an old Opel Kadett, on those you could remove the shaft from the rear of the transmission and drop the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing out from below with the transmission still in the car, a one hour job.
Your car requires the transmission to be removed.

Or an old Saab!

Those old 99s/900s were sweet. A little goofy to work on at first but easy once you're in the Swedish state of mind.

I didn't know that. Its such an unusual unit I wonder if Saab used the Opel/Vauxall transaxle? Learn something everyday.

I didn't know that. Its such an unusual unit I wonder if Saab used the Opel/Vauxall transaxle? Learn something everyday.

Yep. Transaxle below the crank, clutch in the front of the car.

Accessories mounted against the firewall.

I use a universal clutch tool that simply centers the driven plate to the cover and holds it in place while it's mounted to the flywheel. I've done plenty just lining it up by eye.
I could replace a Vauxhall/Opel clutch (fwd from 1982=1992) in less than half an hour after I'd done a few. Austin Maxi, Datsun Cherry, and VW beetle were other cars I remember a clutch change being sub 1 hour jobs. On the other hand, MGB's, some Jaguar, Rover, and Triumph cars required removing the engine and transmission from the car to separate the transmission from the engine.
Most fwd cars in the UK market don't have a pilot bearing in the crankshaft at all nowadays. But it's all the stuff you have to take off to get to the clutch on modern cars that take up time.

Roger.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Yep. Transaxle below the crank, clutch in the front of the car.

Accessories mounted against the firewall.

Was that a Triumph engine? I remember having to cut the head studs off with a hacksaw blade on one of these because the head was seized to the studs. Talk about going years back, that had to be around 40 yrs ago.

I had a Chevy Chevette, can't remember the year, and I used the tool to line up the clutch, and the trans shaft still would not slide in. Called my mechanic buddy over, and he said disable the ignition. He crawled up under it, and then he said to bump the starter, and the trans slid right in first go. I struggled with it for at least a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back