What's the best clutch kit in 2023?

Yuk

Hi,
I have a 2007 Mazda 6 GS hatchback, with a normally aspirated 2.3L engine. Is there a consensus as to which modern clutch kits are best in this type of application? I'm finding a lot of information for this specific car is around 10 years old and wondering if there is anything new I should consider?

The factory clutch let go at about 11 years and 200,000 kms. The replacement has only lasted about 5 years and 35,000 kms. Sadly, I don't know what the last shop used, but I have since learned that the shop owner is a real scam artist. I'm willing to pay what is necessary to get a clutch that will last another 200,000kms, is that a factory kit, or is there something on Rockauto that will do the trick.

The car still has its original flywheel and the crankshaft seal appears to be leaking.

Any advice is welcome!

Cheers!

As a late teen I had a high mileage Saturn that needed a clutch. Well that clutch lasted 20k miles before it started slipping. I wondered: Do I know how to drive a stick? Anyways I’m at 194k miles on 11 Mazda6 on the original clutch - so I think the clutch was junk that the shop put in. I know they did not use OEM, but not sure what brand it was.

I’m dreading the day I need a clutch in my Mazda and have to deal with this problem. I’d bite the bullet and go OEM. How much extra money are we talking?

Reactions: Yuk
When I was racing and fixing mustangs quite often back 15 years ago or so, spec clutches were great. I just checked and they do offer stuff for your car, but it seems like it starts around $600, which I assume is oem price range? I didn’t read through this whole thread.

I remember their stage 1 and 2 kits feeling like a stock clutch. If you went into 3, it was a puck style clutch that was harder to drive on the street (I did in my mustang, but I had over 500rwhp…friends had trouble handling it but I got used to it).

I was also thinking about the Valeo but I don't have experience with their friction parts.
I forgot about them, but they are another option we have used in the past.

I am almost to clutch time on the Mustang so I have been looking. A good friend retired from Tilton Engineering a couple years ago and is trying to convince me I need on of their clutches.

Last edited:
In this thread, @nwjones18 mentions using an Exedy clutch kit.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/clutch-starting-to-slip-in-reverse.371416/#post-6561714
I'm lurking, since the day is coming for my 2014 Mazda 3.
Clutch is still great 25k miles later.. I used the included throw out bearing as well despite it being made in China, know some folks use OEM throw out bearing with exedy clutch.. the clutch disk/pressure plate was made in Japan

I used the stock replacement kit and unless you’re truly racing it’s all you need. I can smoke the tires and bark them into 2nd with no issues.. haha clutch pedal feels as light as the gas

Last edited:
I had an Exedy kit installed in the CX-5 a few months back (along with a new transmission - another story) and it is working well. Nice light clutch and very uniform in action. From the Rockauto choices, it wouldn't surprise me if the Exedy, Luk and Sachs aren't all the same supplier.

1696958334047.jpg

The aftermarket seems more similar than different. LuK and Sachs seem to rebox PHC Valeo for things they don’t supply(IE - if it’s not a VW or a BMW). PHC Valeo supplies HyunKia. The house brands seem to be Chinesium. My advice would be buy the one that fits and doesn’t give drama during the install.

Many thanks! The Exedy Stage 1 that MRC01 posted is really intriguing to me.
Let you know I put a stage 1 Exedy clutch, with exedy stock type flywheel into my 96 Civic.. Best thing I've ever done, it's not hard to push the clutch pedal.. It was at first then it broke-in and became lighter feeling, more modulation too! The quality is excellent, price way cheaper than what Honda wanted for their mushy oem clutch. I think if you go with a stage 1 Exedy.. you'll be very, very happy with the results!

Where did I buy this? At Exedy's website, shipped directly from them.

Exedy, stage 1 or OE replacwment. Higher than stage 1 isn't great for you if it's a DD, and isn't necessary on a stock engine. Don't forget about the flywheel, too. Do it all at once and be done with it. Rear main seal if it's not too much more work, as well. Pilot bearing/bushing (should come with the kit, don't skip changing it to save time!). Not a horrible time to think about changing out the hydraulics, too (slave and master) especially if the slave is inside the bellhousing (it's external on my 07 3, same motor, not sure if your trans is different or not). And lots of brake cleaner. You cannot keep it too clean as you work (wear latex gloves, too). Nothing worse than oil/grease chatter after investing all that time and money into a clutch job! Also use thread locker on all the bolts involved. Good luck and have fun! My clutch is at 145k (feels fine) but I've looked into this as I know it needs to be done sooner or later.

Update:
I did end up putting the Exedy Stage 1 Kacing Kit, along with a Luk flywheel, in my 2007 Mazda 6... It is excellent!
Amazingly progressive engagement, capable of crisp, quick and smooth launches. My ability to modulate the clutch is much improved over the factory and "bargain" clutch that was installed last. Much to my surprise the pedal pressure is now less than the factory unit too.
In every way, this clutch is an upgrade over the factory clutch! I can''t recommend this clutch kit enough!

Update:
I did end up putting the Exedy Stage 1 Kacing Kit, along with a Luk flywheel, in my 2007 Mazda 6... It is excellent!
Amazingly progressive engagement, capable of crisp, quick and smooth launches. My ability to modulate the clutch is much improved over the factory and "bargain" clutch that was installed last. Much to my surprise the pedal pressure is now less than the factory unit too.
In every way, this clutch is an upgrade over the factory clutch! I can''t recommend this clutch kit enough!
hey @Yuk see what I was saying about this clutch? Crazy good, isn't it?! I know people won't believe me that a stage 1 clutch is easier to modulate than the mushy factory clutch (mine being Honda)! But it is true! See how the pedal is not heavier at all!? Shifting is actually easier with this clutch, my props to Exedy! Excellent clutch..

Glad ya like it! thanks for the update!! (y)

Back