What's the best clutch kit in 2023?

Yuk

Hi,
I have a 2007 Mazda 6 GS hatchback, with a normally aspirated 2.3L engine. Is there a consensus as to which modern clutch kits are best in this type of application? I'm finding a lot of information for this specific car is around 10 years old and wondering if there is anything new I should consider?

The factory clutch let go at about 11 years and 200,000 kms. The replacement has only lasted about 5 years and 35,000 kms. Sadly, I don't know what the last shop used, but I have since learned that the shop owner is a real scam artist. I'm willing to pay what is necessary to get a clutch that will last another 200,000kms, is that a factory kit, or is there something on Rockauto that will do the trick.

The car still has its original flywheel and the crankshaft seal appears to be leaking.

Any advice is welcome!

Cheers!

Sure, I've looked at them, but they are mega $$$. I have no problem spending money for a better product, but most OEM parts aren't made by the car manufacturers, but rather aftermarket suppliers.
In my post you will see that I asked for advice on either, "a factory kit, or is there something on Rockauto".
Do you have advice?

Back in the 90s I raced a 3rd gen RX-7 in SCCA. I used Racing Beat parts (swaybars, springs, etc.). Many of the Mazda SCCA racers used them and they were better than OEM quality. Based on that prior experience, more recently I installed Racing Beat +20% springs in my 2014 Mazda 3, and their exhaust system. After all these years, they haven't changed - still better than OEM quality.

I just looked and while Racing Beat doesn't make their own clutch, they sell Exedy clutch kits. I call that a vote of confidence. I'd go with Stage 1 (not Stage 2).
https://www.racingbeat.com/Mazda-6/Clutch-Pressure-Plate.html

Back in the 90s I raced a 3rd gen RX-7 in SCCA. I used Racing Beat parts (swaybars, springs, etc.). Many of the Mazda SCCA racers used them and they were better than OEM quality. Based on that prior experience, more recently I installed Racing Beat +20% springs in my 2014 Mazda 3, and their exhaust system. After all these years, they haven't changed - still better than OEM quality.

I just looked and while Racing Beat doesn't make their own clutch, they sell Exedy clutch kits. I call that a vote of confidence. I'd go with Stage 1 (not Stage 2).
https://www.racingbeat.com/Mazda-6/Clutch-Pressure-Plate.html
Wow, I haven't thought of Racing Beat for years! I bought headers from them back around 1988, for my 1976 (13B) Cosmo!
Thanks for the trip memory lane!

Dealer parts.

Unless someone has used recent aftermarket parts for your particular application, there is no way to know what durability to expect. Aftermarket parts have always been hit & miss on quality--no doubt there are times you can strike gold, save $$, and get OE quality. After the past few years though, its truly the wild west in terms of what will be in that white box (or even a "known good" brand name box).

All that said, the picture of the Exedy kit for your car shows pressure plate and clutch disk with "Made in Japan" printed on them, and the release bearing has Koyo Japan printed on it. That kit may be worth a try, especially if there are significant cost savings AND if the parts shown in the picture match what you receive.

The factory clutch let go at about 11 years and 200,000 kms. The replacement has only lasted about 5 years and 35,000 kms.
I'm willing to pay what is necessary to get a clutch that will last another 200,000kms, is that a factory kit, or is there something on Rockauto that will do the trick.

Dealer parts.

Unless someone has used recent aftermarket parts for your particular application, there is no way to know what durability to expect. Aftermarket parts have always been hit & miss on quality--no doubt there are times you can strike gold, save $$, and get OE quality. After the past few years though, its truly the wild west in terms of what will be in that white box (or even a "known good" brand name box).

All that said, the picture of the Exedy kit for your car shows pressure plate and clutch disk with "Made in Japan" printed on them, and the release bearing has Koyo Japan printed on it. That kit may be worth a try, especially if there are significant cost savings AND if the parts shown in the picture match what you receive.
Many thanks! The Exedy Stage 1 that MRC01 posted is really intriguing to me.

I was also thinking about the Valeo but I don't have experience with their friction parts.

Probably cool if you have a Citroen or Peugeot, but no telling what you'll receive for a Mazda. May be good parts, or white box junk.

Valeo makes kits for BMW's with dual mass flywheels - converts it to a regular flywheel. Generally receives good reviews for those that want or need that mod. Most of the parts in those kits are European produced.

Back