Cleaning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience, regular MaxLife removed some light varnish stains after doing two OCIs of 1700 miles each. But if you're looking for documented proof, forget it !
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
107K miles with M1 synthetic. Previous owner had a lot of Range Rivers and didn't feel like buying separate oil for his wife's lowly PT Cruiser:

Good ole PT Loser/neon Dohc cylinder head.

Honestly... the best cleaning method is simply changing it out say every tank of gas or roughly 300 miles. If it's a daily driver, the hot / cold cycles and a week or two of flowing around the engine = BLACK OIL coming out. I know some will say color doesn't mean much, but black oil = dirty oil regardless of how much life it has left in it.

Find some cheap clearance oil or even Walmart's Supertech and run a few gallons thru the block. I'm willing to bet the first few drains will be BLACK and the oil will get lighter as you continue flushing contaminants and build up OUT.

The end result is oil that stays cleaner longer because the engine is clean inside (as clean as oil splashing around can get it). Visual staining / varnish is harmless and next to impossible to remove. I wouldn't waste my time with it. Been there, done that and then some, no positive results. Engine was still yellow / brown and varnished... but at least it was CLEAN.

When ever I purchase a used vehicle, I usually do 2500 miles oil change, at 2000ish miles I add either seafoam or MMO for the last 500ish miles.

USUALLY, the oil is still a gold color when i add the seafoam/mmo. By oil change its black. I do that for 2 changes, then go to 5k changes on whatever synthetic is on sale at correct weight.

Kreen and Schaeffer's 131 Neutra, are two great cleaners. However; they are additives, not oil. Mobil 0W40 (was 20.00 on amazon and Walmart) is a great cleaning oil with a lot of calcium. Kreen is the stronger of the two. MMO is another great cleaner.

If you think about, all machines; including humans, get dirty inside and sometimes need a good cleaning.

I'm currently running Kreen and Mobil 0W40 in my Montero to clean a little bit of varnish. Running it for a 1000 miles.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Also, each engine and location (environment) is unique to itself. So, what may work for me, may not work for you. Engine design plays another factor and how it's driven.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Artem
Honestly... the best cleaning method is simply changing it out say every tank of gas or roughly 300 miles. If it's a daily driver, the hot / cold cycles and a week or two of flowing around the engine = BLACK OIL coming out. I know some will say color doesn't mean much, but black oil = dirty oil regardless of how much life it has left in it. .

Here's a 300 miles flush on my RX-8. New oil vs 300 mile oil. The middle gallon is the flush prior with also about 250 miles on it.

This will be the 3rd oil change within 1,000 miles as I try to clean up the internals and get the engine running smooth again. It seems to be getting smoother, more power and less noise with each flush... mostly removing the previous fuel diluted oil.

Actually, I nabbed some HARVEST KING 0w20 and will put that in the Camry before I head home or when I get
Home. Used my $11~ rebate from Rural King and picked the oil up at Clearfield PA store
smile.gif

Castrol GTX Ultraclean is one that hasn't been mentioned. I've never tried it but it's name invokes oil that cleans. It's conventional oil but the Product data sheet says Synthetic blend technology. Just wondering if anyone's tried it and the results.

Originally Posted By: car51
Actually, I nabbed some HARVEST KING 0w20 and will put that in the Camry before I head home or when I get
Home. Used my $11~ rebate from Rural King and picked the oil up at Clearfield PA store
smile.gif

Nice, kind of like free oil. My brother from DC came to town yesterday and brought me 6 qts of PUP and 1.5 qts of Napa conv 5w30. So add that to the small stash of 4 jugs of Idemitsu 0w20. Oh and a half qt of 20w50 SynPower.
smile.gif

He gets free lifetime oil changes for his Camry so no need for it.

Yeah, being back home means knowing shortcuts to everywhere
smile.gif

Mom still whining about below 0 windchill. I said “well, we could be in Canada!”

Went out on Treasure Lake and played small game of pond hockey. Ice is roughly 16-17” thick older gent, ref told me.

And to think; 40” is all you need to drive a loaded semi on a ice road.
smile.gif

Yeah, almost free oil sir, as got Dad few items there as I will see him tomorrow morning for breakfast and then to his house for some pool matches
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: deven
I have put seafoam in a half quart of motor oil, shaken vigorously and it has changed the color of oil to black.....

crazy2.gif
really?!?! Well that's interesting. So much for saying seafoam cleaned the internals when the oil comes out super black.
33.gif

For cleaning, I like a hot summer run on a shorter 3-5K OCI of HDEO in the 10w30 flavor. T5 Rotella or Delo LE do a great job at a great price.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Full can of BG109 for a hundred miles on whatever is in there, then change
laugh.gif

This is what I use too, BG EPR aka BG109. I dump it in the oil and drive for 30 minutes and then change the oil. I am also a fan of their BG 44K fuel treatment. One can goes in right before an oil change as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Nice, kind of like free oil. My brother from DC came to town yesterday and brought me 6 qts of PUP and 1.5 qts of Napa conv 5w30. So add that to the small stash of 4 jugs of Idemitsu 0w20. Oh and a half qt of 20w50 SynPower.
smile.gif

He gets free lifetime oil changes for his Camry so no need for it.

I saw an 05 Camry at the car charity lot that was 7k over on the oil change. Checked level and had to clean the bottom of the stick to get a good reading. Just a tiny black drop at the very tip. So 12k on the interval of conventional oil from a tire place. So will give them some of the oil to top it off with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back