Choose my 1st oil change on 2018 Accord 2.0 Turbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Skyactiv here to add my usual harsh sounding opinions.

If the Honda runs rich using 87 octane vs 91 or 93 octane, that will affect the oil more than AFE vs genuine Honda oil vs Castrol vs Lubro Moly and so on.

I don't know what octane you use.

I was a technician at a Honda dealer before I went to Nashville Auto Diesel and worked onto becoming a union semi mechanic.
Retain your receipts for your oil and oil filters and mark the VIN#, date, miles and quantity of oil added on the receipts.
Keep the receipts in a cool dry place away from heat or light.

Do you have experience with the dealership asking for the receipts?

If the Honda runs rich using 87 octane vs 91 or 93 octane, that will affect the oil more than AFE vs genuine Honda oil vs Castrol vs Lubro Moly and so on.

I was a technician at a Honda dealer before I went to Nashville Auto Diesel and worked onto becoming a union semi mechanic.
Retain your receipts for your oil and oil filters and mark the VIN#, date, miles and quantity of oil added on the receipts.

So far 87 octane. Good idea on the receipts, I usually have just put the date an mileage.

I don't have the new turbo engine but i insist on the fram ultra filter. I use whatever synthetic 0w20 or 5w20 i get for cheap. Every single OCI of our 2014 accord will have that fram ultra filter.

AFE+M1 oil filter = $17.00 MIR.
Nothing special about the Honda oil filter.
You got a Meijer near you?
You'd get this pair for around $13.00 after mPerks coupon and MIR.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
AFE+M1 oil filter = $17.00 MIR.
Nothing special about the Honda oil filter.
You got a Meijer near you?
You'd get this pair for around $13.00 after mPerks coupon and MIR.

Nearest I know of is about 220 miles away towards Chicago.

I didn't see anything about rebates at walmart, I presume they are on the M1 website?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Do you have experience with the dealership asking for the receipts?

One time on a 96' Civic HX with a CVT transmission. The HX was rare enough and ones with a CVT were very rare. We had a customer that had an HX with a bad CVT transmission towed in with 35K miles. The fluid change interval on it was 30K miles. The owner had no proof of maintenance. The warranty was denied, but Honda agreed to pay part of it anyways. A new transmission was installed.

I too have the 2.0T Accord and I am wondering are you going to send a sample of the oil off? Be interested to see if there is any fuel dilution as the 1.5T.

Great post skyactiv.

And yeah... Sometimes es you are as blunt as a 2×4 up side of the head
lol.gif

Why 5k? Why "or"?

Need clarity on your actual choice...

Our odyssey is 5-6k per the OLM. My Accord Hybrid is more like 12-15k.

If I found that your car was on the 5-6k side, like our van, Id get an Ultra and use it for two OCIs, which is OK per the Honda Manual. Honda has never placed filters in clean and opportune locations, so it is just more convenient. Given that they recommend it, Id take advantage.

If OLM ends up being longer, like 8-10k+ k miles, Id likely change filters every OCI (what I do on the accord), and then Id look at Wix or OEM.

Honestly, if the Honda kit is a good deal, Id probably go with that the first frw OCIs just to have the receipt and the OE parts for warranty.

Beyond that, Id run any of those oils with my only caveat that if I kept the filter on, Id run the same brand of oil the second OCI on the filter as the first...

We've run M1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and Valvoline 0w-20 in the van. All seem fine.

The Accord sees M1 EP only, because it is an application where I believe more PAO, with its higher oxidation resistance, is a factor. For your car Id probably not worry about it, since if it shuts down immediately after a sustained 80MPH mountain climb, youve probably got other issues
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Brolly
I too have the 2.0T Accord and I am wondering are you going to send a sample of the oil off? Be interested to see if there is any fuel dilution as the 1.5T.

I had not thought about it; I may but never have on a vehicle. I'm not sure of the cost?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why 5k? Why "or"?

Need clarity on your actual choice...

Our odyssey is 5-6k per the OLM. My Accord Hybrid is more like 12-15k.

If I found that your car was on the 5-6k side, like our van, Id get an Ultra and use it for two OCIs, which is OK per the Honda Manual. Honda has never placed filters in clean and opportune locations, so it is just more convenient. Given that they recommend it, Id take advantage.

If OLM ends up being longer, like 8-10k+ k miles, Id likely change filters every OCI (what I do on the accord), and then Id look at Wix or OEM.

Honestly, if the Honda kit is a good deal, Id probably go with that the first frw OCIs just to have the receipt and the OE parts for warranty.

Beyond that, Id run any of those oils with my only caveat that if I kept the filter on, Id run the same brand of oil the second OCI on the filter as the first...

We've run M1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and Valvoline 0w-20 in the van. All seem fine.

The Accord sees M1 EP only, because it is an application where I believe more PAO, with its higher oxidation resistance, is a factor. For your car Id probably not worry about it, since if it shuts down immediately after a sustained 80MPH mountain climb, youve probably got other issues
smile.gif

The Honda kit is 32.95, which includes 5 qt of 0w-20 full syn, honda a01/a02 filter and a crush washer. He said he might have both A01 and A02 but wasn't entirely sure. On the 'or' I'm not really sure what I meant LOL.

I'd like to follow the OLM I guess?

Last edited:
Purolator Boss filter, and GC 0/30, 20wt oil does not belong in a turbo car, Google the engine model and see what's used in Europe, I guarantee it will be probably 5/40 or 0/40, or 0/30. GC is available on Amazon prime

with TGDI I do step OCI's where I'll draw out a (diluted) qt. and replace it with .5 qt fresh, 10 min. once a month.

There’s lots of discussion on CRV forums about Honda’s 1.5T and fuel fuel dilution. Alarmingly increasing crankcase levels, CELs, stalls and even a few engine failures are reported. The Chinese government has ordered a sales stop of CRVs and Civics equipped with the 1.5T until Honda develops a credible solution for fuel dilution. And Dblshock here has his own story.

The 2.0T could be a completely different story, but if it shares the same engineering DNA it’s worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back