Chevy vs GMC Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I saw a picture some years ago of a new truck with GMC badges on one side and Chevy on the other at a dealer.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My parents bought a new GMC van back in 1991, when they got home they realized it had Chevy hub caps!

That's to funny
lol.gif

Years ago back in the day,the local plumber would every couple-3 years buy a new Chevrolet K10/350/auto/Stepside pickup for his business.His last purchased model,a 1987 K10 stepsidehe ordered special and had to wait a number of weeks to arrive.When it arrived he was called,he showed at the dealership,signed the paperwork and met the salesman at the truck.Getting inside and getting the final "thanks again" from the salesman...he started to drive away.All of a sudden the salesman started yelling for him to stop and came running up to the side window (it was open).He stopped the truck and asked what was the matter.The salesman stated he noticed the tailgate said GMC and not Chevrolet,and that he would order one and have it painted and call him when it was done.The customer stated,"well,the horn pad says GMC too,and I'm not worried about it,dont bother ordering that tailgate".The salesman was caught by surprise but said OK,we'll leave it like it was.Months later when we hired him to work on some plumbing problems,I followed him to the truck,and noticed the GMC horn button,he said the tailgate says GMC too...its a half breed.I stated he should have had it replaced...he said that it was such a great conversation piece he left them as-is just to start people talking.

My car pal said that-historically-the GMC line offered more options over Chevy.

I assume GMC offered more rear end gear choices than Chevy.

Wanna hear something cool?
My friend worked with the first ambulance corps in New Jersey to buy modular ambulances (square boxes on truck frames instead of Pontiacs / Cadillacs or Ford station wagons with raised roofs).
He was the one who went with the finance people from the corps to select the vehicles. That was New Milford, NJ's Ambulance Corps. FYI

I think it all depends on how the dealership wants to perceive the general public as. If they just want to be known as a truck/“higher end car” dealership they would be GMC/Buick/Cadillac. And Chevy has the “lower end” sedan type vehicles like the Cruze as well as trucks

I remember years ago, before Tahoes and Yukons, Chevy was a more finished, family truck and GMC was supposed to be more of a work truck. Then everything changed in the 90's.
I had a 1998 Yukon and it had to be a Yukon because I liked the grill better than the Tahoe grill. In 2009, when I was shopping for a Suburban or Yukon XL, it was the Suburban all the way. I don't like the grill and lights on the GMC.

Now, on the newest ones, I think the Caddy lends itself best to the new bodies.

Back in 2014 when I bought my Sierra 1500, with cash back/incentives it was cheaper than comparable, and less equipped, Chevy Silverados. As far as differences between the two, I drove them both and couldn't tell much, if any, difference between them.

Last edited:
When I bought my Sierra the only differences I could find were the Sierra had a better looking grill, GMC was easier to find tan interior, and a similarly equipped Sierra was a few thousand less than the Silverado in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back