Wienermobile was in town yesterday.

Could not resist checking out this iconic bit of Americana. Interesting conversation with the 2 gals operating it. They are on the road for 48 weeks of the year, 6 vehicles covering the country. They both graduated this past May from college and are hired for a 12 month tour. Asked about how it handles and they said you'd be surprised how well it does. Special UPS-type truck chassis with the body fabbed by some shop out of Winston-Salem, NC with a Chevy V-8. Said they take it to truck washes to clean it or occasionally pull into a fire station for a free wash to the delight of the firemen (and women).

1696769389125.png

I've seen more than one version of the Wienermobile. The left side of the Wienermobile is where the service (food service/customer) window is. Nobody ever takes a picture of that side.

The one I visited in south TX @ the Onion Fest just had seats inside but it appeared to be on a hd chassis & have a sunroof. I figured it may be on an Isuzu cab over chassis based on the thick 6 wheel lugs.

Wife & I got in on the fun...

IMG_20220326_104202.jpg

IMG_20220326_104312.jpg

IMG_20220326_104316.jpg

It is no longer called Wienermobile its the "Frankmobile" "rolleyes:

The name change was never meant to be permanent. The change was made at the beginning of summer to introduce Oscar Meyer's all-beef frank. Decals were installed on all the Wienermobiles advertising "THE ALL BEEF BEEF FRANK FRANKMOBILE".

Now that summer is over, the decals have been removed and it's back to being the Wienermobile.

Going back to the announcement in May:
Oscar Mayer was coy about whether the name change is permanent, telling CNN that it’s “trying out to see if it ‘cuts the mustard’ with its fans,” a company spokesperson said.

IHOP used the same tactic when they "changed their name" to IHOB, replacing "Pancake" with "Burger", to introduce new burgers to the menu.

Everyone fell for it and the change generated a bunch of news articles and social media buzz, which is exactly what the marketers wanted.

"Wienermobile" to "Frankmobile" is chapter two of "IHOP" to "IHOB" and everyone fell for it (again).

Very cool. I have never scene one up close and personal.

What a cool job to have on your resume. I bet those girls will always get an interview for any job they apply for as the interviewer will just want to know about their first jobs out of college.....LOL

Back