HP from the past...

Remember the Dodge Aries Station wagons with the 2.2 Non Turbo 4CYL. 89 ~96 HP from the factory. I remember it would take several minutes to get to 55 or 60 if your on ramp was even slightly uphill.
You mean one of these? I thought they were adequate, especially after they got fuel injection.
1.jpg

Way back when a 220 HP Cummins was standard in semi trucks. Adding a turbo made it a 262 and was the cats meow. They also used large gasoline powered engines like the hall Scott iirc over 1000 cuin. . 0.6 mpg

Remember the Dodge Aries Station wagons with the 2.2 Non Turbo 4CYL. 89 ~96 HP from the factory. I remember it would take several minutes to get to 55 or 60 if your on ramp was even slightly uphill.

My favorite was a 5th wheel hauler F-650 with a 370ci big block. Sam engine family as the 460 and it was utterly gutless. Why not just put the 460 in from day one?
We had a 1985 Corolla, 1.6L 68hp I believe carb'd but with a 4 spd auto when I turned 16. It did 0-60 in 16 seconds. I started autocrossing it and my friends dad was a car guy, so we bumped up the timing until it would ping a bit on regular, put some 91 octane in, and flipped the lid on the air cleaner, and manually shifted from 1 to 2... 0-60 went down to 13 seconds :LOL:.
Tough little car!

I learned to drive on and then drove a 69 Beetle all through high school. Very slow and I flogged it mercilessly, but it never whimpered. Great memories in that car.

Times have so changed. My 2018 Passat GT was significantly faster than the Ferrari Tom Selleck drove in the 80's show Magnum PI. And got much better gas mileage too.

But that ferrari was the best looking car on that show. And still looks great. Not that a passat looks bad, but it's not that ferrari

My Club Sport is fitted with a Turner/Conforti chip and it will hit 60 in a tick less than 8 seconds. It's still a lot of fun to drive, being one of the last analog BMWs.

I remember those days.. a hot 350 would get you a pretty quick ride. But then again at one time our 04 V6 Escape was fairly quick also. But the 20ish Sienna AWD I drive today.. maybe it's actually slower than it felt.

Back