I need a long lasting fuel efficient vehicle (not a hybrid, electric, or PHEV)

Yes on both....
They have just FWD CRV and HRV on the lot here in Louisville KY....When I got my 21 HRV I actually just wanted FWD but at that time with the covid stuff not much of a selection..I got AWD HRV Sport...Have not really had a chance to really see the difference...

Too bad, because as a TDI that thing would fit the bill perfectly. Aluminium body, practically no corrosion issues, and a pretty immortal engine paired with light weight and good aerodynamics (despite looking goofy).

The 1.4 diesels use 4 litres/100km (58.8mpg), the rare 1.2 (only 6500 made) together with even more weight-saving and more aerodynamic sorcery got down to 3 litres/100km (78.4 mpg)!

(I just realized the very first A2 will be 25 years old next year and should thus be importable as a classic car to the US. In my mind the A2 still is a modern car. Am I just getting old or was this car way ahead of it's time?)

Last edited:
Finding a vehicle with skid plates should be a higher priority than worrying about what material the oil pan is made of.
He’s just using whataboutism. If you look under vehicles like the F150 with a 2.7 and composite pan, the pan is so tucked up under the suspension and crossmember that nothing that gets “kicked up” could possibly have the right trajectory to hit the pan. There would have to be something sticking up vertically that just barely missed the crossmember/axle, and then the truck fell into a hole just past the crossmember to get anywhere near the pan.

If that ludicrous thing example happened, whatever broke thru the composite pan would also puncture the metal pan.

I had a cast aluminum pan on the 1988 Pontiac Grand Am I had with a Quad4 engine. Ask my pocketbook how that well over 1/4” thick aluminum pan held up to a little scrape on the concrete… Wait, it didn’t… a $300 pan and oil change later, the car was back on the road. And those were 1997 prices!

I just got a hit on a 2010 Accent three door, similar to what I have; rebuilt title was in a fire. If no rust I'm abuyin! It's got an automatic though. I'll might swap drivetrains. The manual transmission ones are very efficient and trouble free. 2011 they went to a lot of electronic stuff and GDI though.

I'm in the market for a new or newer fuel efficient vehicle. not interested in a hybrid, electric, or PHEV vehicle.

I'd prefer something that isnt GDI or something that wont dilute the motor oil..

I havent been involved int the new car market for some time.

Im kindof interested in a new or newer crosstrek, i dont know what the consensus is on here with those vehicles.

I've had one subaru that was junk at 99k miles, because the turbocharger grenaded and i was told by a subaru mechanic that the bearings and other turbocharger metal were circulating in the motor oil and the engine was toast (he really said this). Had something to do with the sludge screen.

With that said i kindof want a subaru, not sure if i should avoid the turbocharged ones.. only because they're slightly lifted enough to take them on some forest roads in Colorado and Wyoming to go camping in.

I've read that the consensus on new gas engines in passenger cars (with the exception being the heavy duty gas engines such as the Ford 6.2, 7.3 and now 6.8, and chevy 6.6 gas v8's) is that they're junk, they dilute the motor oil, they have low tensions rings etc.)

I didnt know if that was true for all of them. I've read that anything ecoboost is something to run away from.
Toyota Camry , Mine gets close to 50 mpg (Canadian gallon) highway and 30 in the city.Port and direct injection so no valve deposit issues.No CVT transmission.

Back