Suburban rear shock recommendation?

Looking for a rear shock recommendation for a 2008 Suburban 1500, 160K.

Mostly used to commute and a few road trips here and there. I do use it on some washboard-y Forest Service roads a few times a year. Little to no towing these days.

Replacing some Gabriel ProGuards that were apparently overmatched or just junk, since I've had three fail in 8 months.

I appreciate a quiet, smooth ride. It's anything but now and a pretty nice truck feels like a POS with all the noise coming from these Gabriels.

Seeing a lot of good about the Bilstein 4600s, but I'm open to anything. I plan on keeping the truck so willing to spend a little bit for something of quality that will last.

Anything I should look at? Thanks a lot.

I think I'd go back to oem. I've been lucky with both my 03 and 05 that still somehow have the original Delphi shocks front and back on both. Drivetrain has also been trouble free. The silly rear leveling air bags on my denali failed long ago but it hardly made a difference when i towed without it.

Another vote for the Bilstein's.

Have them all around on the Ranger and it is night and day from the crap 'FX' package shocks Ford used, that managed to be choppy and too soft all at the same time.
Those oe shocks were Bilstein, fwiw. Different from the aftermarket version I'm sure. But humorous the disparity you cast at the OEs, nonetheless. 🙂

154K when one of the originals failed and started leaking. Would have no issues putting those back on, assuming they're of the same quality in 2023 as 2008.

Bilsteins are $84 shipped from Napa.

GM Genuine appears to be OEM, correct? They're $64 on Rock Auto.

It’s going to be hard to beat the standard bilstein If you are driving normally. If you are towing it may be a little soft. For a road vehicle the 4600 is better than the 5100. We just put a set on my sons 4Runner and they’ve been really good.

Back