2016 Dodge Grand Caravan - Is a Transmission Pan With a Drain Plug Worthwhile?

A friend has a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan (Pentastar 3.6 w/ 6-speed automatic), purchased new. It has about 50K km on it, and is typically driven in the summer only. It hauls a large tent trailer several times a summer.

It has not had a transmission service yet. I mentioned that I had replaced the transmission pan on our '07 Grand Caravan with an aftermarket one with a drain plug, and my friend was interested.

My impression was that the transmissions used with newer (Pentastar 3.6/6-speed) Dodge vans are quite robust, and have a much better track record than the Chrysler 4-speed automatics.

Questions:
1. Is this worth doing? There would be some expense incurred (c. $150 for an aftermarket pan with a drain plug, a gasket, a filter, and about 4 quarts of ATF). If these transmissions last, say, 250k km/150K miles without regular drains and fills, there would be no benefit.

2. Is the drain pan easy to remove? If the subframe has to be dropped or some such silliness, I'd be less likely to help out.

3. Do these transmissions benefit from external coolers? From what I can tell, the towing package included a hitch and wiring, but not an auxiliary transmission cooler.

Thanks!

It's $50 for the drain pan so might as well get it. I serviced the ATF on mine at 50k and there was only minor discoloration of the fluid so it was probably an ok time to change it. The drain plug makes it super easy to do ATF drains every 50k, of which I figure I could skip the filter change every 1-2 changes. I'm also using a gasket instead of RTV to make the pan easier to service.

For a lot less money, you can install a drain plug in your existing pan. Without checking, I think B&M still makes one and I know there are generics. I’ve done several and they all have worked okay. Of course, you have to be somewhat careful where you put the plug and you have to have access to tools. If your pan is easy to drain, I’m not sure if it’s be worth it. However, it would make it less messy the next time you did drain it.

Since the fluid in my T&C is on a 100K-mile change interval, the (made in China) Dorman pan isn't cost-effective. I'm going to change the fluid 3-4 times...ever.

I'm not a transmission expert, but the 62TE does seem more reliable vs the previous iteration. As a member of Mileage Impossible on facebook at least once a month a high mileage final gen Caravan odometer gets posted.

Since you plan on towing alot, upgrade your service cycle to severe. An additional cooler might be worth investing. You wont know the benefit unless you monitor temps before and after. I'm very happy with the Ultra Gauge MX but unsure if it supports trans temperatures for a Caravan.

On a Chrysler minivan, it's definitely worth it :D

Redline C+ every 15k miles/25k km will help.

If you're brave enough to tow with it, definitely use the drain plug and change it frequently!

Yes; it's worth the effort to have a drain plug as it makes future service SO much easier and less messy.

Also, rather than replace the pan at a high cost, consider one of these drain plug kits. They are super easy to install (I've done several over the years) and never had one drip/leak ever. Follow the super easy install directions, and use a thin wrap of Teflon tape or paste on the plug and it's assured not to leak.

NOTE - that's the brand I use; there are others such as Dorman IIRC.

I think it would be nice to have a drain plug in that situation. I would do somewhat frequent drain and fills in that case without replacing the filter every time.
One thing to note is that those do not come with a transmission dipstick.

No drain plug for my wife’s 2014 mommy missile. I used an oil extractor and replaced the same amount. She drove for a week and I repeated the process. In all about 8 quarts changed. Way easier and less mess and PITA than a drain plug.

FWIW the oil extractor was cheaper than the oil pan and I can use it for other items like power steering, brake fluid, etc.

Just my $0.02

Meh probably better investment to get a good fluid extractor for that van. Can do the oil changes that way too.

Changing transmission fluid often on the van may not do anything for it. Torque Converter usually goes on those due to the programming. I DO always like new fluid vs old but it’s just a transmission that isn’t the most favorable for heavy long term use

Just did mine and I didn't get the pan. It is not worth it in my opinion. Drop pan is so easy and you get to replace filter while you are in there. I did notice filter medium is so small it can stop up easily and with the small cost might as well replace it to. Doing drain and fill only replaces fluid and does nothing for the filter that catches the debris. I want everything clean, but I am aware that only 5.5 quarts are being replaced so a new filter is something I recommend.

I think it would be nice to have a drain plug in that situation. I would do somewhat frequent drain and fills in that case without replacing the filter every time.
One thing to note is that those do not come with a transmission dipstick.
There's a way to use the engine dipstick for transmission oil, look it up.

There's a way to use the engine dipstick for transmission oil, look it up.
I use the engine oil stick until it bottoms out then use a tape measure. Use the temperature chart and scan tool so you can get correct amount of fluid. I put to much in mine first time then vacuumed out extra.

A friend has a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan (Pentastar 3.6 w/ 6-speed automatic), purchased new. It has about 50K km on it, and is typically driven in the summer only. It hauls a large tent trailer several times a summer.

It has not had a transmission service yet. I mentioned that I had replaced the transmission pan on our '07 Grand Caravan with an aftermarket one with a drain plug, and my friend was interested.

My impression was that the transmissions used with newer (Pentastar 3.6/6-speed) Dodge vans are quite robust, and have a much better track record than the Chrysler 4-speed automatics.

Questions:
1. Is this worth doing? There would be some expense incurred (c. $150 for an aftermarket pan with a drain plug, a gasket, a filter, and about 4 quarts of ATF). If these transmissions last, say, 250k km/150K miles without regular drains and fills, there would be no benefit.

2. Is the drain pan easy to remove? If the subframe has to be dropped or some such silliness, I'd be less likely to help out.

3. Do these transmissions benefit from external coolers? From what I can tell, the towing package included a hitch and wiring, but not an auxiliary transmission cooler.

Thanks!
Dosent matter what you do, that transmission is either gonna die young like 50% of these do or last for 300k miles. I’d save up and trade it in because 50/50 is well 50/50.or just save for the replacement transmission

Back