Change from 5w30 for colder months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ranger specs 5w20, but I currently have 5w30 Castrol Edge in the sump and as far as I can tell...it loves it. However, "cold" weather here in bama May see temps around the mid 20's at worst for a couple weeks worth of days and that's it with temps hovering in the mid 40's mostly.

Would 5w30 be fine to keep year round with my temps? Or do I need to go back to 5w20 for the colder months coming?

I'd stick with the 5W-30 and not worry about it, personally. I use 5W-30 in a similar situation year-round here in Texas.

I use 5W-30 in our 2 GM cars year round . We will occasionally get to 0F or a little below .

But , I think you said yours is a Ford ? Check your owner's manual for guidelines .

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
My ranger specs 5w20, but I currently have 5w30 Castrol Edge in the sump and as far as I can tell...it loves it. However, "cold" weather here in bama May see temps around the mid 20's at worst for a couple weeks worth of days and that's it with temps hovering in the mid 40's mostly.

Would 5w30 be fine to keep year round with my temps? Or do I need to go back to 5w20 for the colder months coming?

Seriously?
I run 5W30 in Toyota in CO and ski twice a week. Start car at temperatures as low as -35 sometimes.
In Alabama you can run 20W50, it will be fine.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I'd stick with the 5W-30 and not worry about it, personally. I use 5W-30 in a similar situation year-round here in Texas.

I was hoping someone with similar situation would help lol. Thanks sir.

I use 5W-30 conventional and have had no issues in the winter in Maine. Starts around -20F are not uncommon.

Plenty of people running bulk 5w-30 conventional oils in older cars around here. And it gets cold.

Motor oil university is perfect of a person who asks a question like this. Especially given your location.

BITOG motor oil university.

The 5W part of the oil description means the oil does not exceed specified maximum viscosity limits at -30*c (-22*F) and -35*c ( -31*F).

ANY 5W oil (5w20/30/40/50 ... ) performs ROUGHLY the same at the measured temps. If it didn't, it would not receive the 5W rating, and would instead be a 10W, or 15W etc. Your expected winter temperatures are MILD ... you could run almost any multigrade oil without a problem.

A 10W rated oil meets these same maximum viscosity limits at -25*c ( -13*f) and -30*c (-22*f).

A 15W, at -20*c (-4*f) and -25*c ( -13*f)

A 20W, at -15*c ( 5*f) and -20*c ( -4*f)

For EXTREME cold temps ... consider using an 0Wxx oil.

An 0W rated oil meets these same maximum viscosity limits at a VERY COLD -35*c (-31*f) and -40*c ( - 40*f).

The cold temperature tests are below:

Cold cranking viscosity simulates the viscosity of an oil in crankshaft bearings during start up on a cold winter morning. The test determines if an engine can be cranked over fast enough to start under extreme cold ambient conditions. ASTM Method D 5293 simulates an oil's cranking resistance when cold, and thus indicates the lowest temperature at which an engine is likely to start.

Cold pumpability measures the resistance of an oil to pumping through the engine after a cold start. The most widely used test is ASTM D 4684. If an oil's viscosity becomes too high, pumping will be hindered with possible cavitation issues. Viscosity here becomes an important factor in determining whether the engine runs with sufficient lubrication after starting in severe cold conditions. The Cold Pumpability test is always conducted at 5°C colder than the Cold Cranking test to ensure the pump can deliver the oil to the bearings.

I lived in Montgomery 7 years. I ran Mobil1 10W30 all year around in Mazda Millenia. That V6 never indicated that it does not like it, and I often drove to Detroit in winter, and it was fine there too.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I lived in Montgomery 7 years. I ran Mobil1 10W30 all year around in Mazda Millenia. That V6 never indicated that it does not like it, and I often drove to Detroit in winter, and it was fine there too.

The wife and I bought a house in wetumpka so that we could be close to her family after I left active duty. I will keep 5w30 going in the ranger until much further notice! Thanks guys!

No, stay with 5w30 through the winter in Alabammy. The 5w part of it is fine for cold starts down to -20F. I've used 5w30 in my Camaro through 15 Michigan winters.

You will be fine with 5W-30. I use it year round in my EcoBoost.

I Try to keep it in a heated garage, but if I am parked outside while at work I don't usually bother to plug in the block heater until it reaches below -20 C, which would be -4 F.

We often get cold stretches for a week at a time, or longer, around -40 in Jan-Feb.

In Alabama 5W30 should be fine year around. 10W30 would be good for summer. Here in Vermont i see -40 below and use 5W30. Also take the filter into consideration. I use the Fram ultra XG8A and feel it flows better at -40.

By all means continue running 5w-30 in Alabama. Switch back to Xw-20 if you plan to visit us up north in January, otherwise, enjoy life and sleep well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back