Switching from 5w30 to 0w30 for the winter months?

Truck is my trusty ford ranger 4.0 v6. I normally run 5w30 FS @ 5,000km OCI.

I'll be changing it next week sometime, with the next one being due probably sometime around mid-late november.

Now, i live on the canadian prairies where winters are long and cold. Temperatures usually sit around -15 or -20 celsius from november to march with the occasional cold-snap where it can get down to -40 for a week or two.

I do use a block heater, but I want to know if I am wise to switch to a 0w30 for the winter stretch.
I am still of the opinion to not veer too far away from factory spec, but if the 0w30 buys me even half a second to get oil pressure per cold start, then that seems like a good idea to me.

The 0W-30 is definitely more appropriate for winter in your climate, though a 5W-30 is also perfectly safe to use if you're always using a block heater when it gets down below -35.

Is the "5W-30 FS" you're using Mobil 1 FS or another euro oil? If so, be aware that euro 5W-30s are usually on the thicker side of a 5W, close to a 10W, and I wouldn't want to use one in extreme cold.

Some 5W-30s like Pennzoil Platinum are almost thin enough to be a 0W. I'm in the same climate as you and use PP 5W-30 year-round.

Mainly availability. There is almost always some brand-name 5w30 on sale at my local walmart or canadian tire. They both have 1-2 0w30 offerings but they are usually close to double the 5w30 sale price.
Canadian Tire had the M1 AFE 0w30 on sale a few months back, it periodically goes on sale. That is really the only cost effective 0w30 offering for us in Canada when it is on sale.

I generally use 0w30 whenever 5w30 is called for. I used it exclusively in my 2006 GMC 5.3L Sierra, year round. Once my stash is used up, my Impala will likely get it occasionally as well.

canadian prairies where winters are long and cold.
I'm in Winnipeg. I run 5w30 RGT in winter (0w40 M1 in summer) and I use a oil pan heating pad that I plug in along with the block heater when it's around -25C. I only plug in the heating pad for 2 hours or less (depending on how cold it is) as it gets very hot, the block heater gets plugged in all night on very cold nights.

I don't want to run too thin of a oil due to fuel dilution in my 3.5 ecoboost, but your 4.0 ranger would work well with 0w30 in winter.

Also for what it's worth the winter rating is not a "factory spec". All grades are recommendations including the winter rating. The factory spec is either the API license, manufacturer approval or the material specification.

Also it's not about buying a half second in pressure, it's about cranking and pumpabiity. if the engine can start and the oil will pump then you'll have pressure. All oils are very viscous in cold.

At those temps, I'd also look into oils with very low pour points. Many of today's quality oils can meet specs but not have an exceptionally low pour point. AN base stocks come to mind.

In other words, AN oils don't flow well at extreme low temps, and will show a pour point of around -35F.

PAO based oils in the 0W/5W-30 range will probably have pour points around -60F.

What's the owner's manual show for the minimum low temperature use with a 5W-30?

As others have said, of course a 0W-30 will give better crank and flow at any really cold start-up temperatures.

I switched weights of oil back when I was driving carbed engines years ago in the winter months. Always made sure antifreeze was tested and used a block heater

These days I don't bother with switching oil weights,waste of time in my opinion with fuel injection.

Last edited:
Canadian Tire had the M1 AFE 0w30 on sale a few months back, it periodically goes on sale. That is really the only cost effective 0w30 offering for us in Canada when it is on sale.

I generally use 0w30 whenever 5w30 is called for. I used it exclusively in my 2006 GMC 5.3L Sierra, year round. Once my stash is used up, my Impala will likely get it occasionally as well.
Motomaster OE plus 0w30 euro oil is rebottled pennzoil platinum Euro 0w30. Goes on sale all the time.

Since you’re in Canada, check out Petro Canada oils. Very good MRV and CCS numbers even for their “Dino” versions.

But you need to find a distributor to get a competitive price, not their gas station.
Yes fine oils, but they are very expensive (for me) and no rebate potential. Canadian Tire frequently has oil at 45% off plus if you time it right there are manufacturer rebates as well. A long long time ago (late 90's) I used to get Esso XD3 semi-syn in 0w30 at a good deal from the local farm supply store. Today, really Canadian Tire is my best choice for oil locally.

I'll be changing it next week sometime, with the next one being due probably sometime around mid-late november.

Now, i live on the canadian prairies where winters are long and cold. Temperatures usually sit around -15 or -20 celsius from november to march with the occasional cold-snap where it can get down to -40 for a week or two.

I do use a block heater, but I want to know if I am wise to switch to a 0w30 for the winter stretch.
I am still of the opinion to not veer too far away from factory spec, but if the 0w30 buys me even half a second to get oil pressure per cold start, then that seems like a good idea to me.
Stick with 5w30. No need to complicate things.

Back